Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Misfire off idle at light throttle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Misfire off idle at light throttle

My car has been off the road for a few years (Evo 9). I put the car back together recently and I notice after the car has warmed up, it has a misfire at light throttle loads (free revving). I haven't taken the car out for a drive yet, this is just while its on jack stands in the garage (bleeding the rad and such). It will idle ok (ok as it gets for pump gas and ID2000's) it will even rev free if I stab the throttle. However if I bring it up to 2000rpm or 2500rpm steady the car starts to misfire and goes lean. The car has an old AEM v2 in it, so I added more fuel in those areas just to see if that helped. The AFR's came back inline to an extent (still fluctuating a fair amount) but the misfire was still present.

I did have an issue in the past where the car would misfire while I was driving as soon as I gave it a bit of gas. It ended up being the exhaust cam angle sensor, which tend to go due to the heat present. However, the sensor itself hasn't had much use as I replaced it and maybe put 3000K on the car before it was parked....so I'm thinking its not that again.

Just looking for things I should check. Most of the parts on the car are new or only have a few thousand Km on them. I'm thinking I could clean and test the injectors to insure they're working (maybe the old fuel clogged them a bit?). I could buy another exhaust cam sensor again (I don't have an oscilloscope to test it). After that I'm kind of at a loss. The car has a CDI COP system on it, and again it probably has only a few thousand miles on it, so I would assume the coils would be good. I replaced the spark plugs before starting the car. I did put oil down the cylinders and rotate the car over by hand before starting it, do you think the oil on the spark plugs could cause an issue like this? I would assume it would burn off right away....Idunno.

Just looking for things to start checking and going through.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Anyone? I know it's a bit to read.

TL;DR - car idles fine, and if I stab the throttle the car sounds fine. However if I lightly depress the throttle and bring up the RPMs it will start to miss and the AFRs will lean out.

Just looking for advice on where I should start.

Currenltly I'm going to;
1. Send the injectors out for testing and cleaning
2. Get new spark plugs (even though these are brand new) gap them to .22
3. Test or replace the exhaust can sensor (this also isn't very old...but you never know I suppose)