Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Differential issues during hill climb

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differential issues during hill climb

Hello everyone my car is a USDM Evo 9 MR.

​​​​​​I have the following modifications on it:

​​​​​​2.3L stroker engine
GTX3071R turbo on 24 psi
GSC2 cams with beehive springs
NT01 Nitto semi slicks
6 speed manual
Whiteline 22 rear lower sway bar
Autofortune 510s (12 back and 10 in the front)
6 point roll cage Cusco
And a complete lower bushing kit

I recently drove on a hill climb competition and found many issues with the car that I wanted some professional or experienced input on. So what better place to ask than this deep ocean of Evolutionatic info (evolutionm)

My ACD is not functioning, and I have a Weir 12 pack clutch installed in my rear differential (not sure it installed correctly, not sure if it could be installed incorrectly)

That being said I have a lot of understeer regardless of trying everything to combat the fact that my ACD isn't working (stiffer back, bigger sway bar, higher pressure in the back tires lower in the front). My other problem is that the car seems to fall out of power easily and no matter what I try I can't seem to get the back to oversteer so I can push the car throught the tight corners it always understeer I back off power and it just needs 1st gear again (cause the hill climb was steep)

Where do I begin? What route should I go? Mechanical LSDs? Fix ACD it's extremely important? Better Alignment?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Get your acd fixed, find the issue source out a used pump most likely the failure , non working acd = open diff .
Old Aug 9, 2018, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tauro91
Get your acd fixed, find the issue source out a used pump most likely the failure , non working acd = open diff .
Actually I can hear the pump, but don't know what the old user did... Are there any photos to a fully working ACD with everything attached?

And If I go with an LSD will it solve my situation with the ACD? My question is what is the alternative to the ACD
Old Aug 9, 2018, 07:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
You could delete the acd system and move to a mechanical setup like the 03-04 evo 8 but it'd probably just be cheaper the fix your acd system. Once that's working the car should feel much better.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
You could fix the ACD and get a ACD flash specifically for your race events. A few shops offer ACD tuning and it might be what you are looking for. I don't have experience with this but others love it. Pull that rear diff apart and inspect it.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t9as-read.html

Last edited by IzzyRS; Aug 12, 2018 at 04:44 AM.