Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What turbo next?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What turbo next?

Hey everyone,

So my crave of power has once again got to me. I currently have an fp green turbo and my 8 is currently making 424whp and 390wtq. I would like push some more power out of it, and would like to go to get another bolt on// stock frame turbo. I was looking at the fp black or maybe the precision 6266? I would like to reach 500whp on e85. Any suggestions

Also, it is on the stock block, which means the tq needs to come down. I currently have gsc s1 cams, so would swapping them out to gsc s2 cams be better (As it would drop the tq) or would I be able to run more power on the gsc s1s without increasing torque that much?

Thanks!
​​​​​

Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Im guessing your numbers are on pump gas? A fp green should be able to hit 500whp on e85 and s1 or s2 cams. Keeping tq down is all in the tune (timing and boost).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Im guessing your numbers are on pump gas? A fp green should be able to hit 500whp on e85 and s1 or s2 cams. Keeping tq down is all in the tune (timing and boost).
Oops sorry. No it was an E85.. on 93 it made 370whp and 370wtq. It's an old school for green that's been converted to an hta
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Im not really familiar with the old school fp turbos so I wont comment on that but 370/370 is stock 9 turbo territory... you seem to be getting very conservative tunes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Im not really familiar with the old school fp turbos so I wont comment on that but 370/370 is stock 9 turbo territory... you seem to be getting very conservative tunes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
It's an old school that's been modified.. at 93 it was at 26psi and on E85 it was at 29ish
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

There are several guys here running the fp 71hta and hitting 450whp+ on e85 and cams and that turbo flows 51 lb/min. I don't see why your green at 57 lb/min can't get to 500. What are your other supporting mods? How badly is boost tapering off toward redline? Low reading dyno? Conservative timing?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

There are several guys here running the fp 71hta and hitting 450whp+ on e85 and cams and that turbo flows 51 lb/min. I don't see why your green at 57 lb/min can't get to 500. What are your other supporting mods? How badly is boost tapering off toward redline? Low reading dyno? Conservative timing?
Yeah that's what I thought was weird considering I've seen some evo 9 turbos make more.. here my thread with all the mods and the graph. The shop before only got 350whp from the car with this setup which I thought was really weird.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results/749194-full-bolt-e85-evo-8-a.html
Old Aug 29, 2018, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
You could pick up a red and sell the green.

Old Aug 29, 2018, 04:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 360 Likes on 243 Posts
The Black or 6266 will push the power band more to the right. Its important to set goals for your setup and work towards them IMO. Do you want a fun street car that you can auto x, or more of a straight line machine.
A 2.3 MHI black or 6266 would also be alot of fun with the added displacement down the road.
I'm a fan of the red over the green (MHI housing) Near stock spool up and will make 500-550whp and still keep torque down. The red will also come up quick enough to slide the car around in the low gears.

Stock Mivec cams 25-29psi on the stock ecu . You could run more boost and make 400tq at 4000 if you wanted to. The guys that know that ecu and use it everyday could create a safe/large powerband.

Built 2.2 34-37psi . The Red makes alot of torque and carries it for awhile.

Old Aug 30, 2018, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
Yeah that's what I thought was weird considering I've seen some evo 9 turbos make more.. here my thread with all the mods and the graph. The shop before only got 350whp from the car with this setup which I thought was really weird.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...5-evo-8-a.html
Looking at your dyno results it seems like your fuel set up and/or wastegate might be whats holding you back. With 1000cc and e85 you might be running out of fuel so your tuner might have compensated for that. Or the wastegate isn't doing its job good enough. Also you didn't list an o2 dump or downpipe in your mods list, if you don't have them installed you are definitely leaving a lot of power on the table.
Edit: I would forget stepping up to a fp red if you plan on using primarily e85, theres no sense in paying an arm and a leg for 500whp and more lag when you can do that with a properly supported green.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Looking at your dyno results it seems like your fuel set up and/or wastegate might be whats holding you back. With 1000cc and e85 you might be running out of fuel so your tuner might have compensated for that. Or the wastegate isn't doing its job good enough. Also you didn't list an o2 dump or downpipe in your mods list, if you don't have them installed you are definitely leaving a lot of power on the table.
Edit: I would forget stepping up to a fp red if you plan on using primarily e85, theres no sense in paying an arm and a leg for 500whp and more lag when you can do that with a properly supported green.
I do I agree but he can get 500 hp with the green with all the supportting mod and pushing that turbo almost out of he's efficiency. By the time that green is making 500hp it would be pushing hot air but it's possible. FP Red live in the 500 hp territory so it really no problem! Lag is real. Also true what fuel are you gone to use primarily.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gqcode
I do I agree but he can get 500 hp with the green with all the supportting mod and pushing that turbo almost out of he's efficiency. By the time that green is making 500hp it would be pushing hot air but it's possible. FP Red live in the 500 hp territory so it really no problem! Lag is real. Also true what fuel are you gone to use primarily.
The car currently has a duel tune (93 and E85), i would like to use e85, but 93 is more available. And it has the factory o2 housing (which I am thinking about getting a dump) and an invdia downpipe. I'm just looking to make the most hp for the cheapest price haha, but will upgrade the turbo if needed
Old Aug 31, 2018, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
The car currently has a duel tune (93 and E85), i would like to use e85, but 93 is more available. And it has the factory o2 housing (which I am thinking about getting a dump) and an invdia downpipe. I'm just looking to make the most hp for the cheapest price haha, but will upgrade the turbo if needed
An aftermarket o2 housing will make a significant difference, thats part of why your dyno results are low.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
FP Red it the in between turbo green and black at at 525whp and going for another tune which I think will put me over 550whp. I'm pushing my walbro to the limit so swicthing to the 450. once I get on boost past 4k that when the fun start.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

An aftermarket o2 housing will make a significant difference, thats part of why your dyno results are low.
So should I go o2 dump? How much power will be increased by that? And anything else or that the main issue?