Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff service required? 165k miles before Weir 12 plate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Diff service required? 165k miles before Weir 12 plate

Hey folks.

I have a Weir 12 plate to install on my current rear diff. The car has 165k miles.

Do I need to account for the wear on my ring & pinion when I do the clutch pack install? I don't want to be messing with the backlash, I've seen how pita it is.
Hoping I can just R&R with the new clutch pack, but I don't think I can, with a clean conscience, knowing that the rear diff has seen 165k butt kicking miles.

If R&R is advisable, I can do it myself. If not, I'll have a competent driveline shop do the install and adjustments but I would like to gather the necessary OEM parts before taking it to them.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 02:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
How bad is the gear lash right now? You could probably get away with throwing the clutch pack in and calling it a day without any problems. The evo's rear diff lasts a long time. The WEIR 12 plate is a ton of fun, but it will wear out faster than the TRE 12 Plate max lock service. That being said, I run the weir set and can still get the car to power oversteer after 15,000 miles of use.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
It might be easier to send the diff and plate kit to shep. Removal of the diff is pretty straight forward.

This is what shep quoted me a few weeks ago.
We can do a stock rebuild or restack (your choice) for $250 or rebuild + 12 plate upgrade is $350. We replace all seals, bead blast, paint, re-shim etc.

This price doesn’t include any bearings, if any bearings or other parts would need replaced the cost can increase
and I've been having a hard time getting in contact with TRE...

Last edited by blackline; Sep 26, 2018 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SilviaVsSupra (Sep 27, 2018)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 03:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by blackline
It might be easier to send the diff and plate kit to shep. Removal of the diff is pretty straight forward.

TRE is really hard to reach; I recently had to send my trans to Shep, since I could reach John.
on the bright side = 2-day turn around and it'll be here tomorrow!
I'd REALLY like John to do my rear diff, though. When I'm ready, I'll try once more.

As for the Weir: it's a drop in. If the differential needs any adjustments, It won't be due to the clutch packs; It would be a pre-existing issue.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 06:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blackline

Going to contact them today to see if they can help me out. Thanks for the tip