Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 Speedo help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Speedo help

Hey guys and gals so I’ve been experiencing a lot of difficulties with my evo lately and can’t seem to fix the problem. Ive installed an Oem 5 speed manual transmission on my car after the race season and observed that the speedo stopped working after a short drive. I changed the sensor and it still didn’t work. I pulled the transmission and purchased a low mileage transmission and that solved my problem however I had the car tuned to 470hp on 95oct used it on weekends and one day it stopped work. I decided to pull the transmission out and open it up to see what’s happening and observed the plastic speedo gear on the center diff spinning freely. I pulled the bearing out to get a better look at the gear and observed the plastic grooves that the gear lock on the diff were broken off. I have a replacement gear but I’m thinking by just changing it , it’s gonna break again and it happened on two perfect transmissions. All I did new to the car was change the dog box to an OEM transmission , exedy triple clutch to quarter master twin, diamond front and rear subframes and all torque solution engine mounts also driver side rear axel. I’ve searched all over for answers but same proved futile... HELP IS NEEDED PLEASE...

pics attached

This pic shows the broken tabs on the gear.

This pic shows the replacement gear with all good tabs.

This pic shows replacement gear fitment.

This pic shows damaged gear fitment.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 04:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
There are some nasty looking gouges on the face of the shaft that the gear sits on. What caused them?
Did the large taper roller bearing that the nose of the center diff rides in fail and cut the plastic ears off the speedo drive gear?