Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2004 EVO 8 Cranks but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 EVO 8 Cranks but doesn't start

Hello everyone!

My first time posting here, so I'm sorry if I do something wrong. Please correct me

Sooo, I bought used Evo 8 about a week ago. Drove for couple hours from seller to hometown, no problems. Almost at home check engine light comes on. OBD-scanned: O2-sensor. Deleted the code and resumed driving. About 15mins later the light comes back, this time shows as P0202 which is if I'm correct second cylinder spark plug. Well, I thought maybe faulty O2-sensor is doing something weird to car. Decided to reset codes and drive a bit to see, if it comes back and if yes with which code this time. Well it came back as faulty second cylinder ignition coil. Then I drove back home on three cylinders and on next day checked coils. Seems like previous owner decided to screw a coil with only 2 screws ( or whatever they are in English, not my native language) instead of three, so the coil didn't work properly. Found couple screws and screwed them on. After that everything worked without a problem, except that faulty O2-sensor.
Couple days ago decided to go for a drive and take couple pics with a friend as there was sunny and snow was everywhere. We drove for about 3-5h with and without getting into boost, no problems there. Came home to leave with parents to spend Christmas and when came back with new obd2-scanner, I decided to test it on evo... it didn't start. Car had and has electricity, starter seems to work as it tries to crank the engine, but it won't start.

First I thought maybe negative isn't grounded well enough, checked and there wasn't any problems. Then I tried with father to jump it, if battery didn't have enough power, well, it still didn't start. Cranks, cranks, cranks, but won't start. Then coils. They were fine and last we checked spark plugs. They were dry, so there's no fuel coming into engine. So presumably there's problem between engine and fuel tank. As for next things to check, are crank angle sensor, fuel pump relay, injectors and double check that there are no problems with starter.

So I would like to ask for any tips that should be checked. Also I've read that immobilizer could give trouble, so is there any possibility that it could have any doings with this? And if yes, are there any ways to check it / disable / bypass or something without touching map?

I tried to list everything that has happened with car since I bought it but if you have any questions I'll try to answer them. Even though I had the car for a week, I haven't had time to tinker with it as I've had work and then there was Christmas, so there's a lot I don't know about the car yet.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Congrats on the evo purchase! As far as your no start it’s a bit hard to say. I would go after the o2 sensor code first. If it’s bank 1 sensor 1 which is the one near the turbo when this goes bad it causes the car to run really rich which can cause the plugs to foul and cause a hard or no start.

The other thing is if the car has mods,tune or is running e85? More info would help but I’d start following the trouble code. Just clearing the code won’t fix the issue.
The following users liked this post:
ShiroTora (Dec 26, 2018)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 04:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yes, welcome & thanks for posting. Cant help too much w/this issue other than to say, lets get a proper coil pack installed
ShiroTora (Dec 26, 2018)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Guys, he said plugs were dry when he pulled them. So my guess is either the injectors are not firing or the fuel pump isn't kicking on.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Dec 26, 2018 at 07:47 PM.
ShiroTora (Dec 26, 2018)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
You can bypass system and force fuel pump to run by connecting 12V + to the "8.55V" leg of fuel pump relay #3 connector. Use a 12awg wire or thicker. If it still doesn't start, then your injectors are not firing.

ShiroTora (Dec 26, 2018)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 07:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Good info, thanks Don!
The following 2 users liked this post by MinusPrevious:
2006EvoIXer (Dec 27, 2018), ShiroTora (Dec 26, 2018)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks everyone for help and tips.

As for mods or tuning, it seems like it's pretty much stock except couple gauges added to a-pillar
MinusPrevious (Dec 27, 2018)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The fuel pump needs a signal from the crank sensor to run. A failing crank senor might produce the misfire code you got.
ShiroTora (Dec 27, 2018)