Misfire at idle and low rpm - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Misfire at idle and low rpm

Old Dec 31, 2018, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Misfire at idle and low rpm

Hey everyone,

So recently my Evo has been misfiring. It used to happen occasionally, like once every 50 miles, however now the car is beginning to misfire more often, but still intermittently which is why I'm so confused. Basically the car will misfire on idle and on light throttle (like accelerating from a dead stop) and highway crusing. However, whenever I rev the motor out, like cruise above 4k rpm or do a wot run, the car is absolutely fine and doesnt misfire at all. I just replaced my spark plugs yesterday, which I thought was the issue but wasn't, so just curious if this could be a coil related issues or something else? Just looking for some opinions so I dont end up spending money on new coils if I don't have to. Thanks!

Last edited by 4G63_Crazy; Jan 5, 2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Bump for help

Also some additional notes - the cars cel came on back in early December and just popped up again a few days ago. They both only popped on for 2 minutes then went off, but was able to get the code before it went away. The code is P0202, which is injector #2 circuit malfunction. This was making me think the injector might have been clogged. I did some research and saw some people replacing the resistor box, however I have fic 1000cc injectors with the resistor box delete, so don't think that would apply to me. I checked the injectors pulse (with the screw driver trick) and they were all working fine. I put some seafoam in the gas to hopefully maybe clear some gunk, but the car is still misfiring on and off.

However, if the issue is a clogged injector, wouldn't it misfire all the time, not intermittently?
​​​​​​
So right now the only two things I can think of are a clogged injector or coils... I'm pretty much stumped so any help would be really appreciated!

Last edited by 4G63_Crazy; Jan 5, 2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 06:19 PM

check for exhaust leaks? I had a somewhat similar situation, random miss at idle. Car was fine while driving but when i took my foot off the gas the rpms would dip, and sometimes it would stall(almost like when vta). Turned out my headers had a crack and my turbo/ o2 housing elbow gasket was shot.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Timf91 View Post
check for exhaust leaks? I had a somewhat similar situation, random miss at idle. Car was fine while driving but when i took my foot off the gas the rpms would dip, and sometimes it would stall(almost like when vta). Turned out my headers had a crack and my turbo/ o2 housing elbow gasket was shot.
Yea might be contributing issue, did the soapy water test and found a few places that it was creating bubbles.. luckly got a jmfab manifold ready to go in. I also ordered a spoolinup COP and so far hasn't misfired, so it could have been a variety of issues. Still don't know why the cel would come on 🤔
Old Jan 10, 2019, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

how many miles on injectors?
if alot, i would send the injectors off to fic and have them cleaned.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hutch959 View Post
how many miles on injectors?
if alot, i would send the injectors off to fic and have them cleaned.
Less than 10k miles on them and periodically switched between 93 and e85

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.