Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rod differences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rod differences

Ok so I'm in the process of rebuilding my block. I originally intended to do full forged build. But due to personal circumstances I have to go cheap. Using stock crank. Upon my current situation. I went hopefully just bore, hone block and put new rings and bearings in. Well that no longer is a option for me. 2 pistons are shot along with the block . So I'm buying a good bare block low miles. Using my stock crank. Gonna go with forged pistons and rods.

my question is. I have 2 rods in mind. I'm still on stock turbo and plan to be for a while. Running about 28lbs. But I'm looking at some Manley rods

The 2 I am looking at are H beam and H tuff. Both 150mm. Now that is the difference between the 2? I dont plan on running more than what stock turbo can push...and maybe over time change turbo and tune for about 500hp. But for the moment. I'll be under 400.

Thanks in advance .
Old Jan 3, 2019, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I would get the h tuff as they are beefier and not much more money.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 07:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
The difference is the H tuff is beefier and consequently heavier. The standard H is lighter than the factory rod and stronger. I use them in my track car that makes 400whp/400wtq and they've had zero problems after 2 rebuilds. I would trust the standard H to 500wtq before fearing of them breaking.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
The difference is the H tuff is beefier and consequently heavier. The standard H is lighter than the factory rod and stronger. I use them in my track car that makes 400whp/400wtq and they've had zero problems after 2 rebuilds. I would trust the standard H to 500wtq before fearing of them breaking.
Awesome thanks
Old Jan 4, 2019, 06:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I would go with Eagle hbeams over Manley. Better material, good for ~550wtq or so.

Regardless of the rod you buy, make sure they are checked for size while everything is at the machine shop if you can't do it yourself. Wristpin clearance in the small end, big end bore size, and side clearance on the crank.