Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

400+ whp with stock catback?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 400+ whp with stock catback?

I am currently running an 02 dump with a full 3 inch turboback. My plan is to put the stock catback back on and run a boost activated cut out test pipe. Currently making 415whp, plan to make more power in the future.
Will I see the same amount of power as a full 3 inch exhaust with a cutout and stock catback, maybe more?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
My guess is it depends on your turbo. If you're on small turbo,it should make more boost with cutout. If you're on big turbo, back pressure probably wasn't too bad of restriction, so you could see a tiny increase.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I ran that type of setup for a while (AMS downpipe to cutout in place of cat to stock catback). I didn't notice any loss of power from having the stock catback, but it was definitely nice and quiet on long highway trips. I'm on stock turbo so gains from that setup were probably marginal.
I've since changed my exhaust setup but still have the cutout and reducer pipe if you're interested.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 02:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Stock catback and a boost activated cut out work well. English Racing makes one using a 60mm wastegate.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Stock catback and a boost activated cut out work well. English Racing makes one using a 60mm wastegate.
Yea the English racing cutout is the one I was looking into getting.
Would you say the boost activated cutout is better than an electric cutout? What would the pros and cons be of both?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
One is open whenever you're in boost (I think they put a 10psi spring in it). One is open when you flip the switch to open it.

You could also put a solenoid in line for the boost activated one so you can lip a switch and have it not open.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by evo4life94
Yea the English racing cutout is the one I was looking into getting.
Would you say the boost activated cutout is better than an electric cutout? What would the pros and cons be of both?
The boost activated cutout works mechanically versus electrically so it's more reliable based on the nature of the parts involved.