Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who Would Be Interested in a Drop In EFR Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Sadly no Full Race doesnt make a bottom mount IWG EFR setup. B2 frame and up they go to a top mount kit which I didn't want as I was trying to keep weight as low as possible. My kit was custom made by Drivenfab.

You are correct in that PS pump clearance is plentiful. Here is a pic with my rad out that portrays that pretty well

That being said, rad clearance will certainly be tricky. The stock fan will 100% not work and a lot of the aftermarket radiators like a Koyo for example are very thick so that'll probably be out as well. My CBRD rad is 1" thick and even then the comp cover is right into the fan. I've thought about moving to a pusher fan instead but for now is what it is. You can also see in that picture that the turbo is moved a good bit over towards the trans which helps with the long turbine housing and allowing the use of an o2 with a good radius. My comp cover has a 90 welded onto the end of it to transition to the LICP and when clocking it to get proper fitment, I ran into the side of the mount from the trans to the front roll stopper. However all that took to sort was a quick cut at a 45 with a cutoff wheel to one of the corners of the mount. It really wasnt a big deal and by no means had any impact on the strength of the mount as its a corner that is floating anyway if you will. Next time I throw the car up in the air I can try and snap some closer pics.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Yea it looks like your kit pushes it 1.5-2" over towards the trans. I think with stock location that might be enough to keep it clear from the trans. The rad stuff will definitely require some thinking.

I've got some thinking to do to devise a way that can smoothly feed the turbine directionally proper. Can't feed it in the same orientation as stock so that might pose a significant design challenge.

Also, cough cough https://www.full-race.com/store/borg...l-turbo-kit-1/

I like that Driven Fab kit tho.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Cough cough nice try princess but that's a 7163

https://www.full-race.com/store/borg...l-turbo-kit-1/
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Thanks for the pics Sean, would you be able to measure the diameter of the comp cover? BW does a good job of publishing a lot of their dimensions but I don't think they publish comp housing diameter.
you can get all the efr dimensions from the PDFs on the BW site.. just enlarge the pics to 1:1... I can measure the 7163, it is in my workshop.. just let me know what dimension you need..

Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

this is mine
Who Would Be Interested in a Drop In EFR Turbo?-os6ah5w.jpg

Who Would Be Interested in a Drop In EFR Turbo?-q1ji8pw.jpg

Who Would Be Interested in a Drop In EFR Turbo?-7ekn7uo.jpg

Name:  Zt0xI15.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  129.4 KB
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:33 PM
EvoM Guru

I remember seeing these pics, that's a really slick setup! Do you have any pics of radiator clearance with it?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Alpinaturbo is putting one on a 2.3 litre, so should have those soon. The overall distance from the engine is identical to stock setup with heat shields but due to the turbo being more toward the gearbox the stock fan is out of the question. However, stock rad is OK, you can even use the stock e9 rad which is usually out of the question with tubular manifolds due to the top radiator hose location.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I also made a bottom support for the turbo and manifold

Name:  aJL3pXr.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  118.7 KB
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

from this pic you can see that a custom front mount is a necessity.. But it was made.. I dont have pics ATM.. will ask alpinaturbo to make some when installed. I am not using the front mount on my car..
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Yea I think the only way this will work is if the compressor cover is against the block and not the trans. It looks like you're only an inch or two over the trans so it might just fit.

This would be considerably easier if Borg made reverse rotation turbos 😒

Edit: Looking at ATP turbos and it doesn't look like they're using reverse rotation turbos on their drop in stuff. Hmmm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin

Edit: Looking at ATP turbos and it doesn't look like they're using reverse rotation turbos on their drop in stuff. Hmmm
no they dont but their manifold has a nasty sharp bend in it..
I placed my turbo in this way so that I could have a nice first bend for the downpipe... and not that really sharp bend that Full race kits use. If you can shorten the turbine housing, you can move the turbo more toward the servo pump side.
However, if you accept that you need new fan, then my position is quite ok..
In fact I could have made my turbo "shorter", by cutting away the V band and welding the first downpipe bend directly to the turbine housing.. but that is quite custom..
Old Jan 11, 2019, 01:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Buying a slim fan isn't the end of the world but making it compatible with as many factory parts is ideal.

I wish I could get my hands on an ATP drop in to look over their housing design. My interest is piqued.

Found a couple good photos of ATP turbine housings. The only way this will work is to use a design similar to theirs, which is to run the volutes back towards the engine and around the turbo vs the stock setup which comes straight down and a bit towards the radiator before feeding the turbo. It'll hurt flow a tad but makes packaging easier which I'm okay with.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Jan 11, 2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
I am interested!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 01:51 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
If it looked stockish (or at least not obviously aftermarket) and used parts that also looked stockish (to pass visual smog check), I'd be in. I just need something comparable to an HTA71. A bit less back pressure would always be welcomed. I'm happy with the 71, but at some point rebuilds/parts, etc will become scarce, as our cars age.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Kiki- I love that bracket and the extra flex on the o2 housing. I spoke with Ivika on the phone a while back and regretfully should have connected with you. Had a feeling being oversees would have delayed things but now Im kicking myself as I really like what you've done with your kits!

Sorry don't want to derail thread can take this to PM's but would love to see more pics of the bracket. Guessing that bolts to where the tabs that hold the CHRA to the turbine housing?