Evo III misfire on 1 & 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo III misfire on 1 & 2

Old Jan 12, 2019, 09:08 PM

Evo III misfire on 1 & 2

Hello,
I need help figuring out out this issue with my car. i was driving home from work when i just suddenly lost a significant amount of power to my car. Come to find out my 1 & 2 engine banks are dead. I put brand new spark plugs, swapped around the spark plug wires on the distubutor and the engine itself and the problem stayed on 1 & 2. I know fact im getting spark on all four as ive seen it and heard it. so i checked the fuel injectors with a simple trick of putting a flat head to the metal part while the engine is on and listening if i can hear it pulsing. I heard it pulsing and didnt troubleshoot any further. So now im thinking maybe a clog in the fuel rail is blocking 1 & 2 maybe??? Any help would greatly appreciated i just wanna drive my car.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Evo IIIs don't have a distributor.
I highly, highly doubt the fuel rail has a clog. It doesn't sound like a coil either, since 1 and 2 aren't paired.
Have you checked the fuel filter? Done a compression test?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 02:10 PM

First off thank you for the reply. I have not done a compression test yet just because I donít have a compression gauge and Iíll be able to check my fuel filter today when I get home. My question is could an engine just randomly lose compression without there being some sort of pop or bang or something?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Certainly. It could have a failed headgasket between the 1st and 2nd cylinders, or possibly an intake manifold gasket. Neither needs to come with a pop or a bang. Do a boost leak test if you haven't done so already, it may give you some valuable information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.