Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.4 Tensioner arm grind? New timing setup ?help?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2.4 Tensioner arm grind? New timing setup ?help?

2.4 block, Evo iv head, 4g63 belt, surfaces just slightly deck/surfaced.Trying to set timing to be able to degree my cams in. I had found at one time but am unable to locate a link i believe to ams on grinding the tensioner arm. I tried without grinding and the grenade pin is not removable to tight even with it set as loose as I can get it. I found a post on dsm tuners to remove 1/8-1/4" off tensioner pad and I did and the timing is set and in but my tensioner has very very little travel left now. "Afraid I removed to much" so i was wondering if anyone has a link or a way to verify how much travel it should have. Edit found info 2g tensioner same as Evo so therefore same spec.

Last edited by *02Lancer*; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If you have the tensioner pulley installed as it is in the picture there, you have it upside down. The holes for the tool should be on the bottom.

I didn't have to grond my tensioner, but I have the ER oil pump pulley and the longer timing belt they sent to use with it and the 4g64 block.

Also, there is nothing in the AMS instructions about grinding the tensioner-

https://www.amsperformance.com/wp-co...ictures_19.pdf
Old Jan 16, 2019, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

I appreciate the response, and I didn't pay attention to the tensioner that drawing is from a first gen eclipse but good eye I do have my pulley on the correct way. As for my issue If I didn't grind that 1/8 to 1/4 off my tensioner was shoved so tight I could not remove pin. Trying to find correct pin height for second gen eclipse or Evo "they use same tensioner" or at the least verify that the first gen and second gen eclipse use the same pin height spec.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 02:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The correct position for the hydro tensioner is to be able to easily slide the pin in and out once everything is set.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

I was way overthinking that thank you.