Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cool Air Intake Guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evomoto does not have good instructions on removing the front bumper.... actually i did see a write-up in evom but i wanted a second perspective on it
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

The first 6 steps on how to install the AMS FMIC @ evomoto is sufficient on how to remove the bumper. Just gotta dig a bit to find it.

The measurement of the sheet I used is 8"x5 1/8".
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
finished product, will be making a couple more in a day or so, just got one to TDC, he liked it.
Attached Thumbnails Cool Air Intake Guide-finished-4s.jpg  
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Nice! I see you removed the bumper this time around . It's probably not necessary, but does allow you more working room and is easy really to remove.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

yeah I just removed the bumper to get the aluminum a really tight fit so I could make a perfect template, it isn't required at all for the install of this one but it helps when actually constructing the piece.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
question.. what happens when ur driving in pouring rain...?

This is for both people building these on evom
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

I don't percieve rain to be an issue. It's not likely that i'll be at WOT under pouring rain and that's a nice gap for water to jump just cruising around. CWest's front bumper also incorporates a similar scoop FWIW.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

mitsuorder and noodle i really like your innovations and am wandering if you considered putting sides on it to prevent air from dropping off the sides. either way do you have intentions on selling these pieces.

thanks
vincent
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Good question, the scoop is pretty well resessed and I don't think that it is so efficient that it will actually funnel rain directly to your filter, the monster sport scoop on the other hand I might worry about and put some sort of pre cleaner filter sheet over the opening or inline with the duct. I really don't think that this will be a problem, especially if you run a k&n style panel or conial filter. Now if had fabbed a complete tunnel with closed in top and sides then yes, I would be concerned but this guide just directs airflow toward the stock snorkel, I honestly don't believe it will gather any more water during the rain than stock set up. I will however take some pics of the inside of my set up the next time it rains around here for anyone who shares this curiosity. By the way if anyone is interested in one of these let me know, I do not have the facilities to produce enough for high demand but would be willing to do a few for my evom bros. Totally not trying to hijack n00dle, just if anyone is interested.

Keep modding,
Josh
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

That is pretty cool IMO. Ingenious ideas, guys!

The only thing I'm wondering is... to what extent is the stock scoop being utilized? Not trying to be jackass, but just play devil's advocate here... would it be possible that the scoop has already reached its max efficiency level and that this isn't do anything in terms of extra airflow?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

I thought about sides, but it's more work than it's worth for me and not sure if it would make that much of a difference. The biggest gain is by having the guide there. No intentions on my part here to make and sell, just passing along info and an idea for some that may be interested making one. Looks like mitsuorder is making a couple

zstryder - the stock scoop does not have air being directed to it. Pop the hood and you'll see that air rushes in and straight for the radiator. When the hood closed there's a small area between the hood and scoop. With the air guide cool air is directed to the scoop. For me it was about getting cooler air than usual there, not volume.

Last edited by n00dle; Apr 13, 2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well from a physics aspect, the stock setup just sucks air from a "fresh air vent" if it may be called that... this panel looks as though it would help in forcing air into the snorkle which is what raised my concern about rain... i mean water would only need to raise up about 3-5 inchs after that physics will take over and force it through the snorkle... i am very interested in this idea but am also very curious as to its behavior in rain.... Also curious as to why it hasn't been done before since this sin't the first model year this snorkle was used...

aside note; which i would be happy to test soon as I can fab one up is the temp difference with and without this... I have the equiptment to test for it and will again do so and post my results for everyone

Last edited by 1QWKEVO; Apr 13, 2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah I agree with n00dle, putting sides on these would be a PITA in my opinion and I believe that it could possibly make the guide too efficient and let it ingest a bit too much water in extreme conditions as I stated above, also adding sides would definitely require you to remove your bumper for the install, which isn't really a bad job but I absolutely dispise removing all of those plastic retainer clips from the underskirt. The guide I fabbed installs in like 2 minutes, depending how hard it is to get a few of the plastic retainer clips out.
Attached Thumbnails Cool Air Intake Guide-p1010166sr.jpg  
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

mitsuorder, just an FYI... all of the clips for the under panel doesn't need to come off. Only the front clips attached to the bumper, so the bumper can be removed. The under panels and the rest of the clips under there can stay.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

yeah you're right, don't know why I said that, guess because I took the whole thing down today to tighten some of my lower i/c piping, but yeah you're right, only the front clips that attach to the bumper must come off but removal of the bumper is not really necessary for this one, just made it easier for coming up with a perfect fit while fabbing my test mule this time around.

Last edited by mitsuorder; Apr 13, 2004 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Cool Air Intake Guide