Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

T-Belt Job = Oil leaks?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
T-Belt Job = Oil leaks?

So I just did the t-belt/balance belt replacement over the weekend. While I was in there I replaced all the pulleys and tensioner including the accessory belt, idler, and tensioner. I also replaced the engine bracket with the revised part and replaced the oil pump seal (was leaking from behind the sprocket). This seemingly straight forward job ended up with me pissed off almost wanting to sell it lol. I get everything taken apart and get the bracket installed with thread sealant applied to the middle bolt that goes through to oil. I thought that was the only one... boy was I in for a surprise. I get all the new parts on and put together and take it around the block only to notice that im leaking a decent amount of oil from behind the lower timing cover. Crap. Take it all apart again to find that the balance belt tensioner bolt is leaking bad. I had no idea that bolt went through and when I took it out the first time it was bone dry with no oil color or anything. Also, my friend who owns an evo 8 said he never had oil leak from there and never used sealant either.. So I apply sealant, put everything back together and start the car and let it idle. Everything looked good for a minute until suddenly oil starts pissing out from under the cover even worse this time.. wtf!.. Ok I take it all apart for the 3rd time, now this time oil is leaking out from the hydraulic tensioner bolts. When I took them out the first time they were bone dry, and again my friend confirmed that he never used sealant on them and never had a leak. Applied sealant to the bolts, put it back together this time with the lower cover off so I could watch for leaks. No leaks, all is good and I put back together. So far everything is still dry.

1)Has anybody had this happen to them before where only the b-belt tensioner leaks first, then after sealing it the hydro tensioner bolts start to leak?
2)After some research I came across a couple threads where guys said that when it comes to the evo front case, some have the bolt holes going all the way through to oil and some dont. Is this an evo 8 vs 9 thing where they have a different design? Poor quality control when machining the case from Mitsu? Pretty confused since it seems most people dont use sealant when reinstalling those bolts, and other than that middle bolt in the engine bracket I didnt see instructions for sealant on the other bolts in the FSM.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Those bolts do go through to the block, the front case gasket behind it should seal them. It usually doesn't leak, as they are usually blind holes in the block. On some they did go through though. Look in with a flash light to see if they are blind or if they go through. If they're blind, you're going to need to replace the front case gasket. If they go through, you can try thread sealer first.

You can run the car for 1-2 minutes with all the covers and serp belt off so you can watch for leaks and not have to deal with putting everything back together.
Old May 20, 2019, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Those bolts do go through to the block, the front case gasket behind it should seal them. It usually doesn't leak, as they are usually blind holes in the block. On some they did go through though. Look in with a flash light to see if they are blind or if they go through. If they're blind, you're going to need to replace the front case gasket. If they go through, you can try thread sealer first.

You can run the car for 1-2 minutes with all the covers and serp belt off so you can watch for leaks and not have to deal with putting everything back together.
I really hope its not the front case gasket. Ive put about 15 miles on it since then and its still all dry in there, and it never leaked before taking the bolts out. Whats your take on the fact that the hydro tensioner bolts didnt start leaking until I sealed the first leak at the b-belt tensioner? Its almost like sealing the first leak (lower) allowed enough pressure to build up and find a new place to leak out.