Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

oem oil pump gear has play

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oem oil pump gear has play

I was working replacing my oil pump on my evo 9 and I realized that the gear on the new oem pump would spin after you come to a complete stop. its hard to explain but, when I spin it, and it stops, the gear can move a tooth backwards even though its bolted all the way down already. If The gear allows me to move it a tooth in the opposite direction no matter which way i spin it. I checked over and over to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. I checked on my old pump and it wasn't the same. the old pump didn't have any play like that. then I checked another used oil pump and it had play too. should I use the gear/shaft that doesn't allow any play or should I use the gear/shaft that allows play? i'm afraid the timing may move due to the gear being able to go back a whole tooth. anyone notice this on their oil pumps before? All of the pumps are OEM.
Old May 29, 2019, 09:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Did you install the stub shaft in the new pump?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Did you install the stub shaft in the new pump?

yes I installed the shaft on the new pump. but what i'm trying to say is that the little gear was doing the same thing as the mivec gear is able to do. when you rotate the gear on the mivec cam and you come to a stop, then gear can move a tooth in the opposite direction without the shaft moving. so I was curious if that was normal or not. the oil pump and gear that came off of my og motor didn't do that. The new oil pump and gear does do that. I didn't want it to move while timing was being done and then it would throw timing or lead to some premature failure to my pump.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I'm not following what you're saying. The oil pump should not move like the Mivec Gear. You're either spinning the pump or you're not.

Or the driven gear isn't tight on the stub shaft, or something else is wrong and you need to take it back off and have a look.