Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 feels naturally aspirated

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 feels naturally aspirated

Hit rev limiter last night on the way home then after that lost a lot of power. All IC piping looks fine. Actuator is physically okay, coils are good, is there any common symptom for this? The car drives smooth and starts fine. I couldn't visually see any loose connections. Could it be a cooked turbo? Can hear the tiniest little bit of spool
Old May 30, 2019, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
boost leak?

if you wastegate vacuum hose came off... or broke, you might just be running on spring.
Old May 31, 2019, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by hutch959
boost leak?

if you wastegate vacuum hose came off... or broke, you might just be running on spring.
Would the breather line off the air intake blown off cause this? I'm unsure if I pulled this off accidentally when removing piping or it blew off when i bashing limiter haha
Old May 31, 2019, 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Callum Gracie
Would the breather line off the air intake blown off cause this? I'm unsure if I pulled this off accidentally when removing piping or it blew off when i bashing limiter haha
With that being before the turbo that wouldnt cause the issue youre having. Take the turbo intake off and check to see if there is any play in the turbo or if it spins freely. If that looks good recheck all couplers and piping. You either blew a turbo or have one hell of a boost leak somewhere.

Last edited by cficare68; May 31, 2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old May 31, 2019, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by cficare68
With that being before the turbo that wouldnt cause the issue youre having. Take the turbo intake off and check to see if there is any play in the turbo or if it spins freely. If that looks good recheck all couplers and piping. You either blew a turbo or have one hell of an exhaust leak somewhere.
Never inspected a turbo before, but a flick of the blades let's them spin for about 2 seconds. Feels smooth and push against them showed no signs of excessive movement. The blades are pretty black. Is that indication of something?
Old May 31, 2019, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
If its spinning and freely and there is no shaft play the turbo is fine. Recheck everything that air flows threw and see if there is any tears or cracks. If possible a boost leak test would be idea to help find your issue.
Old May 31, 2019, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by cficare68
If its spinning and freely and there is no shaft play the turbo is fine. Recheck everything that air flows threw and see if there is any tears or cracks. If possible a boost leak test would be idea to help find your issue.
I couldn't find anything in the end. All the piping seemed sweet. I put back together and started and noticed rattling around my cat converter that never was there. Wouldn't think limiter would cause this or lose so much boost. I'll head to exhaust shop tomorrow and get a test pipe made up.
Old May 31, 2019, 07:34 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If the cat gets clogged up it can really choke the system. If you blow the wastegate hose that leads to an over boost not under. You should really do a boost leak test before any wrenching though.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The valve cover hose off is a big vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks screw up the mixture.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Callum Gracie
That's the issue. It's a huge vacuum leak post MAF, the car is running way lean.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
^^^^correct