Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 rattle and ticking noise.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 rattle and ticking noise.

I’m fairly new to Evo’s, I’ve had mine for a few months. Mods are cbrd efr 7163 kit, skunk 2 inkake mani, ets intake and fmic, 2200 cc injectors, fuel lab fpr gsc s1 cams and I’m sure I’m forgetting a thing or two.

Anyways a few days ago I was driving home and did a pull or two when I was off the freeway, this lead to a rattle that almost sounds like a jingling noise. It used to be at engine breaking above 4K, but now it’s noticable all the time. The higher rpm the louder it is, will attach a video of it at idle.

since I’m asking about noise, might as well check on this one. Ever since I’ve had the car (short few months) its had like a ticking noise that activated pretty much exactly at 2200 rpm and is there in and out of boost. While you are inside the car it seems to be coming from the firewall area?

(Tick)

(Rattle)

I apologize in advance if I’m doing any of this wrong, completely new to evos and forums lol. Came from Subaru’s where I was able to figure it all out myself. Thanks in advance
Old Jul 18, 2019, 06:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey, alright, Welcome aboard @Capn05

Yeah, the 2nd vid really notes that tick. Could be a no. of things (lifter, pully etc)

Get one of those Harbor Freight stethoscopes & you may be able to pinpoint the location

Those are some high level engine bolt ons! Built motor as well?

My main goal was to welcome ya, but wanted to offer .02 worth of diagnostic help
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey, alright, Welcome aboard @Capn05

Yeah, the 2nd vid really notes that tick. Could be a no. of things (lifter, pully etc)

Get one of those Harbor Freight stethoscopes & you may be able to pinpoint the location

Those are some high level engine bolt ons! Built motor as well?

My main goal was to welcome ya, but wanted to offer .02 worth of diagnostic help
Thanks for the welcoming, I’ve been loving everything about the evos so far! Having trouble spotting that first tick solo, it rarely occurs on idle and the it just gets loud when I try to rev it up to hear it lol.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Your tick noise sound like injectors to me. And your rattle noise sounds like a pump working. Grab a stethoscope and listen to power steering pump to check that. As for injectors, you should be able to hear the ticks with your ear next to each. Good luck.