Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2002, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Question

Can the turbo be removed from a turbo car, to make it non turbo?
Old Sep 7, 2002, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NA

I'm not a qualified technician, but I'll give it a shot. A turbo engine designed from the ground up to be turbo i.e: low compression pistons, cams, stronger internals, computer and timing, etc. By taking that a way, what you would have is car that would perform worse then a NA car with the same type of engine (for instance a 4G63T with no turbo would be less then a 4G63 from a nonturbo Eclipse.) Still, the car might not work at all. One night after I had first installed my Greddy intercooler pipes, one of them popped loose, essentially sending all the boosted air into the atmosphere instead of into the engine. The car's computer expects that certain amount of air so the computer felt like something was wrong (the turbo spooled faster without any resistence) so it cut the fuel, making my car run only up to about 2800rpms and its top speed was about 40mph. I had to limp home to fix it. Other cars may differ but you are going to have to do more to just get the car to run without a turbo then just remove it. In short, why bother..just get yourself a high ouput high compression NA motor and mod it up.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was gonna wait until someone said the same... you're not gonna pawn it like so much unwanted bling-bling?