Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! My BOV snapped

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! My BOV snapped

So today I installed my intake pipe - I was going to wait until my filter came in, but I had nothing to do today so I was like eh, why not. Big mistake. Never try to install an intake pipe with the stock airbox, it is very difficult.

Anyway, I got it in finally, but as I was tightening the clamps to the airbox, one of the hoses was in the way, so I tried loosening it. It was connected to the BOV, which subsequently snapped in half. Boo.

Here is where it snapped:

So here are my 2 questions:

1) I need to buy a new BOV. Stock, or aftermarket? I don't care about the sound, I want functionality. The stock BOV was great for me, no problems with leaking or anything else. If possible, I would stay with the stock BOV, but I don't know how much one costs from the dealer. Maybe someone would like to donate one to my cause?

2) If I superglue/epoxy it back together, will the car run under no boost condition? (I just need to get around, so that if I drive under 3000rpms it'll be ok?)
Old May 14, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldnt trust the glue !!! I am sure someone here has an extra stock bov. I did have one but gave it to my freind 2 days ago .. I am sure you can run it temporary just dont boost it with the glue. Run around 3000rpm max till you get a new one.
Old May 14, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Damn that sucks.

If I did that (broke mine) that would give me a good reason to upgrade to an aftermarket one.

It seems you are doing some mods to your engine anyway, so might as well get an after market one. But it would be cheaper to buy a stock one or even one from a 1st gen DSM.

About sticking it back together using glue, I would think thats a bad idea, but if you need to get around you need to get around. If that glue comes off or the BOV pops off, you SOL. You will be going no where, fast....errr slow.... If you ever had an Intercooler pipe come off, you know what I mean. Sucks its the weekend, so overnight air is kinda out of the question. Maybe some one in your area has there stock one for you.......

Good luck man
Old May 14, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Man your clamp looks really tight.
Old May 14, 2004, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greddy type s w/spring mod
Old May 14, 2004, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Actually I was just looking at the GReddy Type-S. Do we need some sort of adapter or kit to make it fit with the Evo? (if I buy it used off someone else)
Old May 14, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Ya there is a flange needed ,cost like 10 bucks I think. I got the greddy and love it
Old May 14, 2004, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Glue under the hood (heat) is just a No-No
Old May 14, 2004, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

man thats strange. I switched my Greddy Type S with the stock one seriously at least 8 times never had that happen. That clamp looks tight as hell. Did u try prying the stock one with a screwdriver? To me to break the part off that clamp that **** had to be tight as hell. I could see if it was the one vaccum line up top that plastic piece is a little flimsy. Also always grab that bottom piece when u pull it out. Looks like u just trying pulling the BOV out without holding that piece too.
Old May 14, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

I've never touched that clamp, came with the car like that.

Actually, I was trying to pull the other end of the hose that was connected to the IC piping. The pipe was in the way of the clamps to the airbox, so I was taking that out, too bad the other end was connected to this thing... I applied like no pressure, and it snapped. Oh well.

Where can I get a flange for the GReddy? THe cheapest I've seen is like $40, which seems overkill for a piece of metal like that....
Old May 14, 2004, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Dayyyyyaaaaam! putting a little muscle into it! lolz