Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS vs Jun vs Tomei vs Piper vs Works vs etc...

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2004, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS vs Jun vs Tomei vs Piper vs Works vs etc...

Greetings guys,

Just a suggestion as this might not work..... but it would be nice if it did!

I know of the automotorsports cam test, but how about doing another one? This time using an evo with stock turbine and more aftermarket cams. I know that it will be hard to compare apples with apples but maybe we can get an idea of the gains, curves and effects of the many cams by everyone posting in their before and after cam dyno pulls. I bet alot of workshops have this information. The posts should meet certain criterias such as:

mitsubishi evolution 8, stock turbine, no head work, no bottom-end work and minor a/f tuning.

It would be nice to see how the tomei pon and procams, jun 264 and 272 and the various pipercams match up against the HKS 264/272. Or any other cam not tested in the automotorsports cam test.

With thousands of members all round the world maybe we can see something...

cheers!
Old May 26, 2004, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Err anyone?
Old May 26, 2004, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, there may be a few problems with this kind of test; the dynos for instance are notorious for putting out different numbers. then we have to think about air temps, all the little details, and then to see the real gains, we'd have to flash the cars...

i think the only real way to do it would be to have different ones installed on the same car, and then flashed to see gains. and of course, the cams would work better with different mods, etc.. you wouldn't see the real potential till later in the mod timeline i think? then of course cam gears, and i've heard some of the listed cams would need valve spring replacements?
Old May 26, 2004, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

JUN are way better than HKS, they are more agressive and require springs (it will cost you a lot more) but it will yield better gains
Old May 26, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

The Jun cams have more lift compared with the HKS don't they? Also does anyone know if having more lift translates to a lower rev limit, therefore having cams with not as much lift and longer duration will enable you to rev higher??
Old May 26, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Saying "Jun is way better than HKS" is a pretty subjective statement. It depends actually knowing what lift and duration you really want. Getting a very aggressive cam isnt for everyone and getting too mild of a cam may not achieve what you are looking for. Quality wise Im pretty sure they are really close in craftsmanship.
Old May 26, 2004, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gofaster87
Saying "Jun is way better than HKS" is a pretty subjective statement. It depends actually knowing what lift and duration you really want. Getting a very aggressive cam isnt for everyone and getting too mild of a cam may not achieve what you are looking for. Quality wise Im pretty sure they are really close in craftsmanship.
i agree with what you say, on a stock turbo i bet there's almost no difference between the two, but if you plan on putting 400whp+ on your car, than you should go with JUN
Old May 26, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hueman
well, there may be a few problems with this kind of test; the dynos for instance are notorious for putting out different numbers. then we have to think about air temps, all the little details, and then to see the real gains, we'd have to flash the cars...

i think the only real way to do it would be to have different ones installed on the same car, and then flashed to see gains. and of course, the cams would work better with different mods, etc.. you wouldn't see the real potential till later in the mod timeline i think? then of course cam gears, and i've heard some of the listed cams would need valve spring replacements?
I understand what you mean, but if we get an indication of what the air temps were on that day, we can probably make a rough estimation as there are ways of accounting for the losses, and about the dynos, we can help estimate the gains by looking at the baseline/before graphs and compare it to the after mod graphs... we dont have to look at the overall bhp and torque, just the gains. Like how they do in magazines and such. For example, the amount of gain (not overall bhp) from a cam install cant be too different from one dyno to another, if the setups and conditions are relatively the same.

Surely in the tens of thousands of members in this forum some will have almost similar setups as cams "normally" comes in after intake, exhaust, mbc/ebc and maybe an e.c.u mod right?

About the different potential seen during the later mod timeline, at least then we can get to see what can we expect from the cams with different setups.

And we can also see to a certain extent if cam gears and valve springs give any perfomance gains as well....

In other words, I think any before and after cam install dyno graph pull will let us see something....
Old May 26, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Jun= high duration 264/272 and mid equal lift 10.5/10.8
HKS= high duration 264/272 and low mix lifts 10.2/10.8
Tomei procam= low duration 260 and high equal lifts 11.5
Tomei poncam= low duration 260 and mix lifts 10.2/10.7

Different cams for different applications.... but the question is which cam is the best for which application?

Last edited by airtreking; May 26, 2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old May 26, 2004, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Since dynos seem to read very differently perhaps those of us with G-Techs could post before and after numbers. I'll do that with my Piper Rally cams once they are in and tuned.

For info on lift and duration on the Pipers check out http://www.quantum-racing.com/. The specs for my Rally cams are 265 degrees of duration with 11.50/11.50 mm (IN/EX) lift. the specs for the other Piper cams are also there.
Old May 27, 2004, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

this would be a great test, it NEDDS to be done if only to answer the power question. i dont know what people are going on about "diffrent aplications". you can run 11mm+ lift on a street motor anyway. and i think the earlier "race" Evos went up 12.4mm with no problems!!!!! stop being a bunch of whimps and run some lift!
Old May 27, 2004, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chuntington101
this would be a great test, it NEDDS to be done if only to answer the power question. i dont know what people are going on about "diffrent aplications". you can run 11mm+ lift on a street motor anyway. and i think the earlier "race" Evos went up 12.4mm with no problems!!!!! stop being a bunch of whimps and run some lift!

So.. how about it guys? Someone post something just to get going!! Please!!

Cheers
Jo
Old May 27, 2004, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

i'm running the jun 272/272 combo w/ the gears. i'm waiting for my br580 and magnus manifold to get here and i'll post some pulls.
jeremy
Old May 27, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jerastan
i'm running the jun 272/272 combo w/ the gears. i'm waiting for my br580 and magnus manifold to get here and i'll post some pulls.
jeremy
That will be great man ... I hope that your gonna do a baseline pull before you get the turbo and manifold in.... It will be nice to see the figures you have with your current mods... did you happen to dyno your car before the cam install?
Old May 27, 2004, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, i did some pulls w/ out cams, running a utec and hit 285 on a dyno dynamics which is roughly 330 on a dynomax. after i put my cams/springs/retainers on the car ran out of air at about 275 on the same dyno. the cams are way too aggressive for the stock turbo. that's why i went w/ the big br580 and the new manifold. i've got all the goods to upgrade the fuel system for the new setup as well. i'm just waiting to put it all on together. it "should" be a real beast. i went w/ the sard 280 pump/regulator/770 injectors, and the perrin fuel rail. we'll see. sorry, a bit off topic....my bad.

Quick Reply: HKS vs Jun vs Tomei vs Piper vs Works vs etc...