Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

why are evo's so unrelyable.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy why are evo's so unrelyable.

any ideas. they get work at wrc to.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justhadyourmom
any ideas. they get work at wrc to.
One year and not a single problem that required service. Replacing the clutch now, but that was my fault entirely.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

unreliable? and who said that?
Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

just like some people cant spell good [ *wink wink* j/kin ]

some people dont take care of thier car well, then come here whining when it fails.........

for the most, the cars are really reliable.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

If you look WRX forums you would get the impression that they suffer the same problem.

That is one of the faults of message boards in general. All it takes is a few vocal members to give a car a bad rep.

I have 12k miles with autocrossing at least twice a month since I bought the car and have not had any problems.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

there are only few of them that have problems and about 6,000 of them were sold...., btw next time use the search button, this topic has been covered to death
Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 15,000 miles on my car and beat the living crap out of it while running around 460 HP at the crank shaft with zero problems. Yes I replaced the clutch but I don't expect the stock clutch on ANY car to stand up to almost 200 extra HP. I do feel sorry for the poor bastards with a STOCK EVO getting denied clutch replacement though.

Keith
Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno...my EVO has been one of the most reliable cars I have owned. It has 27k of daily abuse and the clutch is only just now starting to slip slightly. Probably due to the fact Im at the track once a week. Even the break pads are still in good shape.

I think some people think just because its an EVO with its WRC heritage, that they can beat the hell out of it and not expect anything to break. It does'nt matter what car you have, if you dont take care of it or treat it properly your gonna have problems. Not saying some people have not had legitimate complaints, but there the ones in the minority and their also the one you hear speak up about it mostly.

JC
Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

39k here and no problems yet.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 05:24 PM

Try looking at an Audi forum, When the 04 S4 came out people were screaming there heads off!!! (major tranny probs)

Any high performance car needs to taken car of to some degree. Hard launch your evo every time you come to a stop and yeah you will need a new clutch soon! Theres not a ton of sound insulation and rubber gaskets and the like, so you can here the little squeeks and groans.

Once in a while stuff breaks on a car and some people go bursurk and post what a piece of cr@p it is.

The evo is a high performance car that keeps up or out does( out of the box )cars 2-3 times its price!!!!! The fact that people choose to put 5-10K worth of mods, void the warrenty and drive it hard as hell, should show you what a reliable car the Evo really is!!!!!

Awe my windshield wippers needed the blades replaced after only 5K miles, what a piece of cr@p!!! I think I'll trade it in on a saturn

OK, I just reread this post and I"ll be switching to decaf : )
Old Jun 18, 2004, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

My evo **** the bed prematurely on numerous occasions. I wouldn't buy an 03 evo again if it was the last car on earth. Maybe the failure rate is small, but it's huge to those it happens to. So relax on the kid, he doesn't want to get stuck with a car like mine, can you blame him?
Old Jun 18, 2004, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, there is not one single recall on our Evo 8s, right?

I would hardly call that unreliable.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

For every 1 evo you here about having problems, there are 20 or so that haven't had a single problem. I've been blessed with an evo that hasn't had any problems
Old Jun 18, 2004, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
Correct me if I'm wrong, there is not one single recall on our Evo 8s, right?

I would hardly call that unreliable.
I had a recall done on my 03 Evo. It didn't take them long to do. Only problem i've had thus far is the clutch and a wire that was bent on the left passenger door lock assembly. I hope this clutchmaster's stage one clutch lasts awhile. I don't think I can afford another $1000 repair bill. The car has been worthwhile IMO. It's just hard to avoid all the boneheads on the 101 freeway with it.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 06:01 PM

sorry to hear that some guys have so much problem with their evo's...mine is 1 year old with 6000 miles, not a single problem... YET...