Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

should i be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2004, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should i be concerned?

about 2 mins ago i was driving up my driveway and at the top of it my car just stalled out.. my foot was on the clutch ( all the way in ) and it just shut off... what would of caused this.. or is this some once in a million thing?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

where is your gas level at? You mentioned that you were driving UP your driveway...is it a steep incline?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

my driveway goes up then to a flat part... my tank is full too
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:33 PM
Former Sponsor

how many miles on her?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

just under 10000 miles.. and i'm taking her to the mitsu dealer this week for oil and rotation... ( goign on vacation this sat )... i just dont' want somethign happening on the trip down.. .and really have a big problem
Old Jul 5, 2004, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

my car does this as well. it's not fuel level or altitude related in my case-- I've had it happen pulling into the garage most often, but it does occur during other times where I back out of the throttle at low speed... like inching up for my turn at a stop sign.

I have 1100 miles and it did it the very first time I pulled into the garage. it's never stalled, but has come damn close.

I'm going to mention it when I bring it in for the first oil change... that and my disconnected intercooler spray reservoir! damn thing pours water right through.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 09:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually, my car never did it in the past, but when I upgraded some of my intercooler components it started doing it.. It seems like the speed of the air through the MAF sensor is a little slow.. It seems to happen most frequently to me on warm days when the air is not as dense.. Since your car (appears from your post) is stock, bring it to the dealer, they may have a revised ECU flash to address issues if someone complains.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

That's seems to be a common problem with some Evos. If you go up an incline and quickly press in the clutch, the RPMs drop off quick and it can stall. Also in stop and go traffic, especially with the AC on, if you're inching up in 1st gear and quickly press the clutch in, it drops off almost to a stall and may stall and then the revs build and steady back to idle. It's wierd, but don't worry. I have never stalled but came damn close with the same situation on a inclined driveway. Don't sweat it.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

the idle's also fairly rough I've noticed. I will ask about a reflash... thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Colin, your IC reserve tank is probably full. That's why it pours right to the ground. It looks like it's not full, but the main portion of the tank is behind the bumper cover and is quite large. You cannot fill it to the top of the neck.

As for the idle, a flash will not help it. Make sure you are running a good fuel.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

ah, thanks for the tip. :sheepish:

I run 91 octane from reputable gas stations, it's as good as we get around here without going to race fuel. it seems to be fine as the car is quite strong from midrange to redline and none of my other vehicles (all 91 AKI minimum) have ever had trouble, either.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This happened to me once as well. Up an incline, inching in traffic, hot day, pushed the clutch in fast, died. Restarted and turned off the AC and it hasn't happened again.

It puzzled me, but since it hasn't come close to happening again, I'm not worried.

a
Old Jul 6, 2004, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steveevo8
.....my car just stalled out
Have an aftermarket intake installed?

Please ask all diagnosing/repairing/modifying questions in the Engine Tech forum....Moving this thread there now.

SC~
Old Jul 6, 2004, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

I've had the same issue with my car. At first I though it was the ECU learning but it kept happening so i took it to the dealer. They kept the car for 2 days and could not replicate the low idle/stalling.

It still happens sometimes when the rmp falls below 900 but it hasn't stalled yet. Stalled like 3 times in the past 5 months since i've owned it. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I think its the cams....they are pretty lopey stock...mine threatens to die all of the time as it lopes on its cams.....subtle, but its there for sure.