Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

!! 5th Gear Synchro TSB FOUND !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2004, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the symptoms of a bad 5th gear sychro? I just noticed that my 5th gear grinds slightly sometimes when I shift into it, but I get the feeling going into all the other gears sometimes too. So I don't think anything is out of the ordinary. I have 6k miles on my car right now and the drivetrain is completely stock.

I have a SS clutch line and a set of Kartboy shifter cable and base bushings I plan on installing soon. I'll probably change the tranny fluid to BG at 8k miles too. Hopefully I'll get this thing to shift like butta after the mods.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 5th gear grind is from shifting from 4th to 5th @ 5000 RPM's and higher. You can actually hear the transmission grind into gear. Basically the synchronizer isn't stopping the gear properly.

Sad thing is, I only have 82XX miles on the car.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 05:28 AM

Same with my Evolution VIII.

4th to 5th gear grind.

I am right now talking to my dealer to get it hopefully fixed!
Old Jul 25, 2004, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Same thing here...Im glad I seen this, I need to talk to the dealership about it. Not everytime I shift but a lot of times when im on it and I shift to 5th it grinds. If I dont want it to grind I have to hold the clutch in a little longer to make sure it's in gear then let off. Mine has been doing that for a while. I have 13K miles on my car and its been doing it for a few thousand miles.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 02:31 AM

Man lot of people on here with an Evo and an S2000..sems to be mind related

Sorry for the OT!

If anyone gets his repaired by his dealer or anything done please post details so we have a reference in case our dealer says he doesn't know anything about
Old Jul 26, 2004, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stocky
Chris from HB has that pair, too...
Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

i took it to a dealer around me and he said he never heard bout the 5th gear synchro fix... after showin him the tsb he said and i quote, "oh, there it is" after leaving the car wit mitsu overnight they call me the next day and say that the tsb states how to fix the car and the parts that would be needed, not that they were supposed to do it under warranty .... im thinking about taking it to another service department somewhere else and try my luck there instead. guess ill have t just play it by ear...

--KiD
Old Jul 26, 2004, 03:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never had the 4th to 5th gear grind. When are you guys doing this at? at what rpm and speed?

I do get a lot of 1st to 2nd gear grind tho at 7krpm shifts. It just wont go in fast enough.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 04:01 PM

i got the 5th gear syncro issue too. Every time i go from 4th to 5th at a moderate speed it grinds. No good. Took it to the dealer, and got a call back from them that day, saying that my car was NOT grinding when they drove it. . I was pretty pissed and told them to hold it overnight and try again in the morning. Next morning i got a call and they said that they HAD gotten it to grind. Now they are gonna fix it. Thank god. Still sucks tho.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 04:07 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
This was a big problem with H22 Preludes back in the day. I never shift my Evo hard into 5th, since there is a huge ratio jump anyway.

PS: No grinds here.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

I never go into 5th gears when racing anyways. I usually left off at the end of 4th. I'm at 17K going to 18K soon and no problem with 5th. Sucks to hear this problem with the evo tranny. Now I'm worry. So this is a wide spread problem and every EVO is going to get it? Ahh, I hope they'll fix mine...
Old Jul 26, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eLiTe eVo
i took it to a dealer around me and he said he never heard bout the 5th gear synchro fix... after showin him the tsb he said and i quote, "oh, there it is" after leaving the car wit mitsu overnight they call me the next day and say that the tsb states how to fix the car and the parts that would be needed, not that they were supposed to do it under warranty .... im thinking about taking it to another service department somewhere else and try my luck there instead. guess ill have t just play it by ear...

--KiD
does your 5th gear grind? if it doesnt, they'll not fix it. tsb doesn't necessarily mean dealer has to fix it under warranty. tsb basically shows tips for techs to do the repair and parts that are needed. i used to work a nissan dealership and i've seen lot of people just come with printed papers from the internet and ask to fix their cars. but most of the times there's nothing wrong with the vehicle.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stocky

Sorry for the OT!

If anyone gets his repaired by his dealer or anything done please post details so we have a reference in case our dealer says he doesn't know anything about
I own an '00 S2000 and an '03 EVolution.

Thanks for the TSB. This should help when i go to mistubishi in t-minus one hour..
Old Jul 27, 2004, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to go off topic, but heres for all the S2K guys

Now back to the bad 5th gear synchro
Old Jul 28, 2004, 07:20 AM

Nice!

Quick Reply: !! 5th Gear Synchro TSB FOUND !!!!!