Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's the best intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best intercooler?

I have a Greddy Vspec and it's not cutting it anymore. I have 400whp. Any ideas. Please speak from experience.

Matt
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

IMO, the stock
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, there seems to be many who feel the stock IC is good for stock turbo. I seem to recall the specs being 600CFM for the Intercooler, and 500 CFM for the turbo.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by mdzuricky77
I have a Greddy Vspec and it's not cutting it anymore. I have 400whp.
What do you mean that it's not cutting it anymore?
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:56 PM

i like the Blitz intercooler but for stock turbo, i'd keep stock intercooler
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vihskcidatae
You know what to get It's just not out yet
HKS all the way.!!!

Also, the ARC intercoolers are really nice, but they are $$$$. We will do some dyno tests between the HKS, V SPl, RSPL, ARC, AMS< and Perrin, and see what happens...

George
Old Jul 13, 2004, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm loving my Pruven big FMIC with slim fan and power steering cooler relocator! This is by far the biggest FMIC that you can fit under the stock bumper - hence having to relocate the power steering cooler and a slim fan! The FMIC is a PERFECT fit. It is like an OEM part. The FMIC fits within 1mm of everything around it.

Here's a pic of it installed. in the upper left grill you can see the slim fan and on the right you can see the power steering cooler. I can gun my car around all day long in this heat and my IC pipes will be cooler than the air outside the car... Well worth the $1500.

Last edited by Evo H8; Jul 13, 2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 08:49 PM

PWR works well.... Never had a complaint for either of my cars....
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:29 AM
Former Sponsor

For the price, easy bolt up with the ability to use stock or aftermarket pipes, fitment, quality, and the ability to make 600+ whp without breaking a sweat, our intercooler for the EVO 8 is pretty hard to beat. Not to mention they are IN STOCK and ready to shop out same day. No prepaying and waiting for custom ICs to be made here.

"I can gun my car around all day long in this heat and my IC pipes will be cooler than the air outside the car.." I hope your exagerating a bit, because that is not physicly possible. In absolute perfect conditions, and air/air intercooler is only able to cool the charge air as cold as the cross flow of air used to cool it. Even the water sprayer wont get it any colder unless the water itsself has been someone cooled below the ambient outside air temperature. Sorry I just wanted to clear that up so that people wont think there are "magic" intercoolers.

Last edited by EricJ@AMS; Jul 14, 2004 at 01:32 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

What I mean by bot cutting it is it heat soaks 40+degrees on the quarter mile.

Everyone else thankyou for your info.

Matt
Old Jul 14, 2004, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

upto 400bhp stick with the stock as it is very good! after that then i would go for the biggest thing you can find. Boost solutions supra core looks very nice if a little small! LOL

the larger you go, the more lag you will get (larger volume to presurise), but also better power and torque.

do a search as there is a thread knocking about about the subject, take a look may answer some questions!

hope this helps Chris.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by gsnt
For the price, easy bolt up with the ability to use stock or aftermarket pipes, fitment, quality, and the ability to make 600+ whp without breaking a sweat, our intercooler for the EVO 8 is pretty hard to beat. Not to mention they are IN STOCK and ready to shop out same day. No prepaying and waiting for custom ICs to be made here.

My understanding was that trimming was required of the under tray for your part to fit... I was set on your part until this was brought to my attention.

For those of you who are promoting how "great" the OE piece is, and how "you don't need an aftermarket FMIC for the OE turbo up to 400 hp"... could you post up your data so we can all see the comparison you used to come to your educated conclusion? Or are you just regurgitating someone else's opinion based on their data (most likely, lack there of )? I'd be willing to bet that a few of the manufacturing vendors here could show that even on a bone stock car there are improvements in over all efficiency when upgrading... Huge improvements, maybe not, but improvement just the same. Although the OE intercooler is nice for AN OE PART, it leaves a lot of room for improvement... heat soak comes to mind...

...and for the record, other than fresh grease under my fingernails, and years in aerospace fabrication & manufacturing, and automotive "hot rodding", my opinion carries no more weight than anyone else's. Without hard data, all of our opinions are just like a$$ holes, we all got them, and for the most part, they all stink. It just bothers me anytime someone spouts crap against a reliability mod... and a cooler charge at the same boost levels does contribute to greater reliability/consistency provided tuning is in check. Anything that may help keep knock count down, can't be a bad idea.

Last edited by Zeus; Jul 14, 2004 at 08:12 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

What I mean by bot cutting it is it heat soaks 40+degrees on the quarter mile.

Everyone else thankyou for your info.

Matt
What kind of boost are you pushing and is this on the stock turbo? Cause pushing to much boost with that small stocker will knock the turbo out of its efficent boost range and start to pump hotter air. That maybe be why it is heat the ic up so much.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I have a Greddy Vspec and it's not cutting it anymore. I have 400whp. Any ideas. Please speak from experience.

Matt
This man does not seem to be running the stock intercooler for those who missed it...
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

For all that think that the stock intercooler is bad ****, no. After modifing my car to its extent it heat soaks even worse than the Greddy Vspec. In the 1/4 the Vspec heat soaks 40+ degrees like I said already. The stock intercooler heat soaks 60+ degrees in the 1/4. I know the temps because of the EMS. Zeus, thankyou for reading everything so we are on the same track.

Matt

Quick Reply: What's the best intercooler?