Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Forced Performance Evo 8 turbo housing. 10.5cm2 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The MAF sensor isn't going to be a restriction per-se.. BUT when you draw alot of air through it, the mesh on the front can become deformed and/or come loose... so you'll either get weird readings from it, or it stops working right.. Makes for a nightmare tuning.. Thats really the only reason I went with a blowthrough setup.. I don't really buy the whole Speed Density / Standalone argument.. I think its a great tool, but to me its overkill, you don't dig a hole for a flower with a backhoe, when a shovel will do the job just as well only neater.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how is your blow thru set-up going?
The main reason I'd like to trash the stock MAF is to get my HKS RS filter off my IC sprayer bottle and maybe then I could engineer some ducting to get cold air to it.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:09 PM
EvoM Guru

And I'm likely going to get another stock manifold and have it extrudehoned (and of course clean up the casting a bit, and polish up and hard coat the outside for a little bling factor)

I'm going to be picking up an Evo7 head tomorrow, and will source a shop to do a head for me.. I also will be doing a stroker conversion, I'm hoping I can get my hands on a block for that so I can have the entire setup ready to go without downtime to my car.

Hey, on an offtopic note.. is anyone aware of any major differences between the US Evo8 head and the Evo7 head?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

I looked into the extrudehone for my inate and exhaust manifolds. Where can you get this done?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:29 PM
EvoM Guru

The blowthrough works great, I had to "hack together" a setup until I got a new upper pipe that fit.. I had a drawthrough setup, worked good, but wasn't calibrated for that kind of use so I had to tune around it.. I took it off to do some testing of some code with the stock MAF sensor. I got my new upper pipe and a few components to get it to line up with my existing components and will hook it back up next week.

The one thing that was very obvious with the new MAF was the frequency wouldn't hop around any longer.. it would hover at 30hz and wouldn't DIP with my aftermarket filter or MAF pipe like you would get with the stock MAF..
Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bishiboy
I looked into the extrudehone for my inate and exhaust manifolds. Where can you get this done?
http://www.extrudehone.com/powerflow.html

There may be other less expensive sources for this, since the extrudehone technology is now being resold to machine shops..

Its important to note that extrudehoning works great, but you may still need to port match to the head since it really is like queezing abrasive toothepaste out of a tube so it will need to be cleaned up a bit...

I'm thinking of doing the head and intake, Hot side housing, and possibly the scroll housing..

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jul 22, 2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bishiboy
These guys do good work. They are old DSM guys. http://www.slowboyracing.com/Intro.html
As far as what I noticed, The car was pretty stock at the time. I didn't feel alot at the time.
I'm doing the same thing MalibuJack is doing.
I'm trying to make the stock set-up as efficient as possible.
When I got my car Dynoflashed a couple months ago, Al said my car was the quickest 91 octane car he's tuned, with the exception of Robi's car, which was tuned within an inch of it's life.
With race gas, my stock turbo pushed 25psi only dropping to 21-22psi at 7850rpms.
I can't wait to get my head done.
I'm still not convinced the MAF sensor is restricting enough to justify the UR blow-thru or even more expensive, stand alone ECU with MAP set-up.
I'm sure when I start pushing 425+, the MAF will be a factor.
I also think the stock intake manifold is good.
Anybody else have any input?
Slow Boy Racing are a bunch of theives. They ordered a bunch of stuff from turbochargers.com right before they switched suppliers and never paid, like a complete DSM bottom end, three grand worth of turbos......once a thief always a thief.

Last edited by lancerpartstrad; Jul 22, 2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
And I'm likely going to get another stock manifold and have it extrudehoned (and of course clean up the casting a bit, and polish up and hard coat the outside for a little bling factor)

I'm going to be picking up an Evo7 head tomorrow, and will source a shop to do a head for me.. I also will be doing a stroker conversion, I'm hoping I can get my hands on a block for that so I can have the entire setup ready to go without downtime to my car.

Hey, on an offtopic note.. is anyone aware of any major differences between the US Evo8 head and the Evo7 head?
MJ are you going to put in 1mm bigger valves? It would make sense to (?). Does any one make narrow stem maybe Ti valve. That would be worth some flow and some mass as well so you could get away with a soft spring (or stock instead of having to upgrade). Just remember how important velocity is for spool-up and that big powerband you're (we're) looking for Are you going "low volume" high flow on all the plumbing and i/c? I am guessing here but with the strocker you'd probably be better off with a 3071.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:57 PM
EvoM Guru

I will likely be using the bigger valves and heavier springs.. I haven't seen a Ti valve for this application yet.. but I'm sure someone makes something that will fit.. I have pretty much addressed every restriction I can find in the order I found it.. so the intercooler pipes, intercooler, pipes, etc.. I'm up to the head, intake manifold, throttlebody as the final components that I can realistically see as restrictions.

Additionally very few people address an efficient ignition system, so I've been researching some coil on plug setups and CDI ignition boxes.. Especially under high boost, your likely to get misfire as plugs get worn.. that doesn't happen as often with an upgraded ignition system, and you can run a larger gap providing a larger spark.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 06:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Another area that indirectly effects horsepower is cooling, so I'll be using a better more efficient radiator, and looking at some water pump options that have good volume without additional drag. (From what I know, there is only 1 company offering an upgraded Evo water pump)
Old Jul 22, 2004, 06:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Yikes, this got way offtopic.. I think this thread likely needs to be split off..
Old Jul 22, 2004, 06:04 PM
Account Disabled

Another area that indirectly effects horsepower is cooling, so I'll be using a better more efficient radiator, and looking at some water pump options that have good volume without additional drag. (From what I know, there is only 1 company offering an upgraded Evo water pump)
Get a ralliart thermostat.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerpartstrad
Get a ralliart thermostat.
That is a bandaid, and a lower temp thermostat will actually hurt power output and fuel efficiency.

Off topic, but Ferrea makes 4G63 titanium valves...
Old Jul 22, 2004, 06:49 PM
EvoM Guru

I will likely be using the bigger valves and heavier springs.. I haven't seen a Ti valve for this application yet.. but I'm sure someone makes something that will fit.. I have pretty much addressed every restriction I can find in the order I found it.. so the intercooler pipes, intercooler, pipes, etc.. I'm up to the head, intake manifold, throttlebody as the final components that I can realistically see as restrictions.

Additionally very few people address an efficient ignition system, so I've been researching some coil on plug setups and CDI ignition boxes.. Especially under high boost, your likely to get misfire as plugs get worn.. that doesn't happen as often with an upgraded ignition system, and you can run a larger gap providing a larger spark.
That all sound great, I like the way you think. All those goobers wasting money on too big a turbo going for a peak number on race gas. To each his own I guess

How about coatings (internal and turbo etc.). Also Compression ratio (how high do you dare go maybe 9.5 or even 9.8:1) and combustion chamber design?

Good luck can't wait to see some dyno charts, make sure you baseline so we can drool over the gains
Old Jul 22, 2004, 06:57 PM

Jack Mitsu's ignition system is great stock. Probably won't need to address that.

Does anyone have the Tommi Makinnen evo 6.5 turbo? I see FP sells it.

Quick Reply: Forced Performance Evo 8 turbo housing. 10.5cm2 worth it?