Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tuning for RoadRacing - This could save you thousands

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2004, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info, everyone should read this.

Brandon
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:29 AM

If possible, I would rather prefer a quick formula/guide for CFM(boost) vs fuel requirement. Anyone know if there is any?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

I would like some more info on what parts everyone is using for road racing and what they are having luck with . Thanks for the help
Old Sep 7, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

I'm running Buschur Stage IV hardware and nothing's broken yet.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

I just ordered the buschur turboback exhaust. I have done a few other small things. just want to make sure I am not going to damage the engine .
Old Sep 13, 2004, 11:12 AM

Metaphysical, I hope you get your car up and running again. Thank you for the excellent info.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

posts like this are the only reason i come here anymore thanx Metaphysical
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:36 PM

my thanks as well. I'm here for facts and hard technical know-how. And nice to see that some people use the steering wheel in these cars. compromises, compromises!

what to do first? this kind of research is fun!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

we know for a fact that the oem ecu runs pig-rich when the coolant temperatures reach 200+ degrees celsius, can the AEM be programmed to do the same thing?
Old Nov 4, 2004, 08:08 PM
Account Disabled

I did the AMS ( Automotospots.com )Stage 1-3 upgrades....... on my car and I have some questions. When I go on long trips, how safe is it for me to run my car @ average of 130 mph hitting 155 mph for about 20 minutes. I really drive fast...Top Speed is what I like. I am not lying I am telling you the truth. I relax at 130 mph. I drive from Chicago -> Detroit, North Carolina, Phoenix, and California. I have family in these States and I love to visit them with my car, but I just want to know if it's safe to keep it at 130 - 160 mph for a long time. Onces again I am serious and I would like someone that has experience to help me out. I think that my car has been tuned with a very large safe margin.

I will wait for response.....

Thank You
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by cet_euro
I did the AMS ( Automotospots.com )Stage 1-3 upgrades....... on my car and I have some questions. When I go on long trips, how safe is it for me to run my car @ average of 130 mph hitting 155 mph for about 20 minutes. I really drive fast...Top Speed is what I like. I am not lying I am telling you the truth. I relax at 130 mph. I drive from Chicago -> Detroit, North Carolina, Phoenix, and California. I have family in these States and I love to visit them with my car, but I just want to know if it's safe to keep it at 130 - 160 mph for a long time. Onces again I am serious and I would like someone that has experience to help me out. I think that my car has been tuned with a very large safe margin.

I will wait for response.....

Thank You
This has to be the best post ever...
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:19 AM

The last thing I would worry about is your engine.

Actually, what your doing, if your really doing those speeds for 20+ Minutes, is extremely hard on the engine. Your generating extreme amounts of heat, and everything in the check list applies to you. Your car is probably going to start knocking unless you are running race gas and a large intercooler. If you have an EMS you can datalog and find out. Just becareful because your not the only one on the road.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:31 PM
Account Disabled

War Story

[size=2]Yes I have a big intercooler and all the safety upgrades.....I just wanted to see if there is someone out there that tried to do the samething as I do. I hope it can take it, if not I will be super pissed, because everyone has been showing off with these kind of cars. I bought this car because I tought that I can keep it up there forever without any problems. When I had my Volvo I drove that sucker all the time 100-130. I mean everyday. On long trips I swear I keeped the car for about 300 miles straight at 145mph without any problems. I went to AZ and it was just straight road. So I puched it baby. The car loved it......

COMMENT REMOVED - PLEASE NOTE THE STICKY CONCERNING NO STREET RACING STORIES. THANKS.

Last edited by Speedlimit; Nov 13, 2004 at 09:41 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be worried about the tires that thos speeds. If one of your tires go boom at above 100mph, it's gonna be one hell of a ride.
Better keep those tires in good shape and CHECK tire pressure more often since low tire pressure will build more heat and tires could fail.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 04:14 AM

This is truly one of the best posts I have seen on the Internet! So many posts are dedicated to maximum dyno HP or drag tuning. That's all fun and everything; but insanely large (and laggy) turbos suck in all but straight lines and I plan to keep my car more than a year or two.

I try to do a couple weekend lapping events every year. I couldn't agree more on running a conservative tune when it comes to extended track running; usually 5-6 20 minute runs per day at the events I normally do. I usually run pure 100 unleaded or 93 plus a few gallons of 100. I'm not planning to install the bigger turbos I already have for my S4 until I get an oil cooler and bigger intercoolers. I see no reason to increase my motor's thermal stress until the heat can be safely dealt with.

Last edited by Pete_S4; Nov 10, 2004 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Tuning for RoadRacing - This could save you thousands