Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I need help ASAP! Am I in Limp Mode and what is the cause??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I need help ASAP! Am I in Limp Mode and what is the cause??

After I filled up my car yesterday (93 octane) and it sat in my driveway for a couple of hours I go to drive to my buddy's house and the following things were happening.

1) The engine was making a clicking noise when I pressed the accelator slightly. it has slowly gotten worse and now makes a very loud clicking noise in gear. the sound is now there when i'm at idle and it is occuring while the cylinders are moving.

2) it won't boost past .7 bar or about 10 psi i figure!! I checked for a blown hose but i couldn't find anything.

3) The car feels like is it being dragged forward and doesn't want to move. I feel a serious drop in power and responce from the engine. the engine temp was constantly at 110-120 celcius

4) The car stalled at least 7 times this morning on my way to work and every time was harder to start.

5) After talking to the shop i had some work done they never touched my oil system or engine. i somehow burnt off 5 quarts of oil in 4000 miles. on a car this new i cannot think of a reason to do that.

Is this the famous "limp mode" that the car goes into or is there something else seriously wrong? i'm taking it to the dealer at lunch but i'd like to get an idea on whats wrong before i go there. Anyone who can comment on this would be a great help.

Last edited by ruthless evo 8; Sep 13, 2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What mods if any do you have on your car?
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

bad tank of gas? Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes and step on the brake to reset the ECU.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

HKS RS intake, full 3" turboback with test pipe, Profec B II boost controller. All of my other mods are suspension and breaking related. i did just have a shop replace all my fluids and from what i could tell they didn't leave any caps off.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Is your Check Engine Light on? If so I would get the code pulled before you reset the ECU.

Also, if you take it to the dealer, make sure you put your stock air box back on. You may not have much luck with the dealer if you have any aftermarket parts in the engine bay.

Last edited by Event-Horizon; Sep 13, 2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Could a bad tank of gas cause so many problems though? It feels like the car is going to crap out on me while i try to accel.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

When you say "clicking" noise, what does it sund like? Can you reproduce the sound with the car in nutral? Pop your hood and rev the car a little bit by turning the throttle on the throttle body and see if it makes that sound. If it the engine doesnt make the clicking sound it could be something to do with the driveline. Also, did your shop replace all the drive line fluids too?
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

I am running catless my CEL has been on for about 8 months. i'm just worried that the engine is crapping out on me and i could not handle another huge repair bill on this car.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

well, goto a local auto parts store like Advanced Auto parts. They can pull the code(s) for you. How many miles are on the car?
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Well first thing I would do is reset the ecu.
Then if it works then goes back to limp, I'd turn down your mbc just a bit and reset.
Then try again.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Why would you want to run the risk of further damaging the engine if their is a serious problem? I still think it would be better to check the codes first before resetting the ecu. At least then he'll know what he will be dealing with.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

yes the sound can be repeated in netural but only when the accelator is pressed. not at idle and i figure it happens at WOT because i canot hear it over my exhaust.

The shop replaced all the fluids and they used the same fluids from the dealership. no knockoffs or anything.

the reason i'm freaking about this is that i've never heard what piston knock sounds like and i'm wondering if this is it. I know its hard to describe in words what i hear so i hope it helps and thanks event.

it really can be discribed as a clicking sounds but it doesn't get faster, only louder when i'm in first gear, then less loud in 2nd and so on. the car feels like my clutch was slipping something redicilous but i'm not having an issue with my RPM's going crazy while the cars barely moves. it just doesn't want to go anywhere.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check all the clamps and hoses. It sounds like you popped off a I/C coupler.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

21k and change are on the car. Well i was boosting fine this morning and i turned off the EBC to see if it would revert to 1.0 bar. From what i have heard limp mode only lets you boost that high on the stock ecu. that's why i think i'm running on limp.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Ya i thought that a pipe blew off last night when i got home and i checked it but i couldn't find a disconnect anywhere.

Quick Reply: I need help ASAP! Am I in Limp Mode and what is the cause??