EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Amsoil introduces new Z-Rod high ZDDP oil line (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/555016-amsoil-introduces-new-z-rod-high-zddp-oil-line.html)

Fast_Freddie May 9, 2011 12:56 PM

Amsoil introduces new Z-Rod high ZDDP oil line

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/zrf_300.jpg

AMSOIL Z-ROD™ Synthetic Motor Oil is specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles. It features a high-zinc formulation to prevent wear on flat-tappet camshafts and other critical engine components, along with a proprietary blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors for added protection during long-term storage. Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is designed to perform on the street and protect during storage.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL, the First in Synthetics®, to do the best job protecting your engine.

Protects Flat-Tappet Cams
The lifters and cam lobes on flat-tappet camshafts common to classic and high performance vehicles slide rapidly against one another, producing high friction and heat. The friction between the two components can eventually wear down the cam and affect valve operation, ultimately resulting in lost engine power and reduced efficiency. In addition, these areas are splash-lubricated rather than pressure lubricated like other areas of the engine, which adds extra strain on anti-wear additives like the zinc and phosphorus in zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP).

AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with high levels of ZDDP to protect flat-tappet cams, lifters, rockers and other areas susceptible to wear. Its high-zinc, high-phosphorus formulation provides the extra wear protection these critical splash-lubricated components require.

Provides Long-Term Protection from Rust & Corrosion
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with a unique blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors to ensure maximum protection during long-term storage. To prove its effectiveness, AMSOIL submitted Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil to the Standard Test Method for Rust Protection in the Humidity Cabinet (ASTM D-1748). This test evaluates the rust-preventative properties of oil under high-humidity conditions, similar to those faced by a covered hot rod in a damp garage. The metal coupon treated with AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil showed no signs of oxidation after 192 hours, while the coupon treated with a leading competitor’s product failed the test after 24 hours.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for older or modified engines requiring either 10W-30 or 20W-50 motor oil. Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil meets API SL and earlier specifications, allowing for increased levels of anti-wear additives. ZDDP levels in Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil exceed the limits of API SM and newer specifications.

COMPATIBILITY
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oils are compatible with conventional and other synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oils.

SERVICE LIFE
Because classic cars, hot rods and other performance vehicles are generally modified by their owners, AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for a maximum drain interval of 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Heavily modified vehicles (forced induction, nitrous) should not exceed 3,000 miles or one year between oil changes, whichever comes first.

HEALTH & SAFETY
This product is not expected to cause health concerns when used for the intended application and according to the recommendations in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). An MSDS is available via the Internet at www.amsoil.com or upon request at (715) 392-7101. Keep Out of Reach of Children. Don’t pollute. Return used oil to collection centers.

For warranty information, visit www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx.

apagan01 May 9, 2011 01:12 PM

This will be one popular oil, expect the high horsepower cars to use this alot because of the high content of zinc and phos

Fast_Freddie May 9, 2011 01:18 PM

Andy, my local Amsoil guy couldn't give me the ZDDP ppm for this oil compared to the 15-50 dominator and the 20-50 premium protection... can you post the ZDDP values for each please?

Also, am I correct in assuming this will be a more adequate oil for daily driving on built motors since this has a detergent package and anti-rust additives?

apagan01 May 9, 2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie (Post 9305605)
Andy, my local Amsoil guy couldn't give me the ZDDP ppm for this oil compared to the 15-50 dominator and the 20-50 premium protection... can you post the ZDDP values for each please?

Also, am I correct in assuming this will be a more adequate oil for daily driving on built motors since this has a detergent package and anti-rust additives?

Freddie,
we are very sckeptical about releasing ZDDP values, for the simple reason that these are considered secretive for reason i am sure you can imagine, but if you PM me directly i will get you some values, {thumbup}

This oil will be a heavy hitter just because all the other companies like Mobil, Brad Penn, Castrol they will all start to meet the public mayority demand with is meet all the new API standards and lower the ZDDP content,, remember we the performance community only make a very small piece of the pie for the oil market, but AMSOIL knows that if they concentrate a part of their busines on the performance side they will always make money.

This new oil will be compared with the current 20W50 and AMO 10W40, but it will have a stronger additive package for antiwear purposes and yes like you said it would be better suited for performance cars daily driving.

SmurfZilla May 9, 2011 01:42 PM

So you recommend 20W50? Isn't that too heavy? I may try this. I used ot buy ENEOS religiously.

MR BURTON69 May 9, 2011 01:46 PM

Will this oil meet the Fp specs for the Red and Black turboes?

Fast_Freddie May 9, 2011 01:49 PM

This will also be released in a 10-30 as well FYI...

Fast_Freddie May 9, 2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by MR BURTON69 (Post 9305684)

I don't see why not, as all the oils FP recommends have high ZDDP content...

MR BURTON69 May 9, 2011 01:53 PM

Maybe Apagan could fill us in on this for sure!

apagan01 May 9, 2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by MR BURTON69 (Post 9305684)

It will meet and surpase the FP requirements,,, the oil Z-Rod is designed for cars that need high content of zinc and phos, where metal to metal contact is posible, rocker arms, lifters, rotating assembly ect...

apagan01 May 9, 2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla (Post 9305670)
So you recommend 20W50? Isn't that too heavy? I may try this. I used ot buy ENEOS religiously.

i dont reccomend 20W50 for any stock clearance engine,

This oil will be very popular for Evo IX and X's running stock internals and FP or other turbos

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/zrt_300.jpg

MR BURTON69 May 9, 2011 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9305870)

This oil will be very popular for Evo IX and X's running stock internals and FP or other turbos

What about built motors..aftermarket internals?

apagan01 May 9, 2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by MR BURTON69 (Post 9305875)
What about built motors..aftermarket internals?

Then a 10W40, 20W50 or a 15W50 racing oil is a must.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/ima..._qt_300pxh.jpg

MANY BUILT MOTORS USING THIS

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/RD50_300.jpg

mdsevo06 May 9, 2011 03:11 PM

RD was more suited for E85 (alcohol), how will this compare with RD and E85.

MR BURTON69 May 9, 2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9305915)

I actually have the second one down, i bought a case from you. I havent installed the fp turbo yet, im still building the engine. I just wasnt sure which would be the best to run from here out. It is my DD so id like to be able to get a little longer intervals, if i remember right you said the dominator is not long intervals at all.

apagan01 May 10, 2011 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by MR BURTON69 (Post 9305950)
I actually have the second one down, i bought a case from you. I havent installed the fp turbo yet, im still building the engine. I just wasnt sure which would be the best to run from here out. It is my DD so id like to be able to get a little longer intervals, if i remember right you said the dominator is not long intervals at all.

Right dominator you dont want to run longer than 3,000 miles regardless if the car races or not.

AMO 10W40 can go for 5,000 miles no issues, some guys take it to 7,500 miles andthey are happy, some of these cars have 500 ponnies

SmurfZilla May 10, 2011 07:41 AM

so what would you recommend for a 2.4 long rod 2.4 10.5:1 compression for breakin and for the life of the motor

SPANKED May 10, 2011 08:04 AM

So for a light modifed IX with HKS turbo you would recommend the Z-Rod 10w-30? What change interval would you adhere to if I don't daily drive it?

My03evo May 10, 2011 10:18 AM

I have a built forged 2.0 with the ACL race bearings with .001 extra clearance bearings (in the rods anyway) and live in NJ where it gets hot in the summer. Now that I know about having these bearings I don't plan on having no less than 15w40 in her now but what would you recommend for a daily driver pushing 550ish hp with a fp black? The 20w50, 15w40, 15w50 all seem "adequate" weight wise but I'm not sure about the additive package and what one is made more for than the other? I also drive over 100 miles a day so it wont be sitting collecting condesation or anything
Thanks

06MREvo May 10, 2011 10:33 AM

I am too lazy to look it up but what will be a price on this stuff per qt? I guess when I finally go through the other 12 qts of AMO 10w-40 I have sitting in the garage, Ill start using this...haha...

EvoDan2004 May 10, 2011 10:35 AM

i run the 15w50 racing oil. how will the 20w50 compare or should i just stick with what i am using

soapyyy May 10, 2011 01:57 PM

I am definitely gonna run the 10w30 in mine on my next oil change.

apagan01 May 10, 2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla (Post 9307577)
so what would you recommend for a 2.4 long rod 2.4 10.5:1 compression for breakin and for the life of the motor

Summer time above 85f, i reccomend Z rod 20W50 or AMO 10W40

Racing Dominator 15W50 for breaking the motor in

apagan01 May 10, 2011 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by SPANKED (Post 9307628)
So for a light modifed IX with HKS turbo you would recommend the Z-Rod 10w-30? What change interval would you adhere to if I don't daily drive it?

The oil can sit for a full year, or if ran 3,000 miles then changed whenever you hit the 3k

reccomend Z rod 10W30 for your application

apagan01 May 10, 2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by My03evo (Post 9308086)
I have a built forged 2.0 with the ACL race bearings with .001 extra clearance bearings (in the rods anyway) and live in NJ where it gets hot in the summer. Now that I know about having these bearings I don't plan on having no less than 15w40 in her now but what would you recommend for a daily driver pushing 550ish hp with a fp black? The 20w50, 15w40, 15w50 all seem "adequate" weight wise but I'm not sure about the additive package and what one is made more for than the other? I also drive over 100 miles a day so it wont be sitting collecting condesation or anything
Thanks

Reccomend, Z Rod 20W50 or AMO 10W40, these both have high zinc and phos, and they still contain a good amount of detergent and dispersants to keep internals clean and oxidation free

apagan01 May 10, 2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 06MREvo (Post 9308131)
I am too lazy to look it up but what will be a price on this stuff per qt? I guess when I finally go through the other 12 qts of AMO 10w-40 I have sitting in the garage, Ill start using this...haha...

you all will get a good pricing much lower than retail {thumbup}

apagan01 May 10, 2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by evodan2004 (Post 9308138)
i run the 15w50 racing oil. how will the 20w50 compare or should i just stick with what i am using

Dan the RD 15W50 has very small amounts of detergents and should not be let sitting or ran for long periods, matter fact its safe to drain any race oil soon 2-3 months or 3k,,, if you are dumping the oil fast then you dont care

the Z rod oils will have all the racing oils has plus all the detergents and dispersants for a car that drives on the road

boostedwrx May 10, 2011 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9305870)

Thats wut I'm thinking too

apagan01 May 10, 2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by boostedwrx (Post 9309101)
Thats wut I'm thinking too

Yep it has become and i predict this being very popular among Evos, and Supras, this 10W30 Z-Rod is a blend of race oil and street used oils.

SPANKED May 10, 2011 07:29 PM

I'll take a case of the 10w-30 Zrod.

SmurfZilla May 10, 2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9309082)

Can you PM me a quote on how much oil I need to break the motor in and then a case of the good stuff going forward. GA's spring, summers and fall are usually over 70+....in the height of summer they are 90+. Winters are typically 50's......sometimes as low as 20 (very rare). I run E85 99.9% of the time although I do have pump gas "limp home" map.

wizzo 8 May 10, 2011 08:49 PM

Nice. Hopefully Fp updates there recommended oil list and adds this oil to it.

Dallas J May 11, 2011 12:48 PM

Whats the price for a case to us?

BURNALL_4 May 11, 2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J (Post 9311415)
Whats the price for a case to us?

+1 Zrod 10w-30

EvoDan2004 May 12, 2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9309099)
Dan the RD 15W50 has very small amounts of detergents and should not be let sitting or ran for long periods, matter fact its safe to drain any race oil soon 2-3 months or 3k,,, if you are dumping the oil fast then you dont care

the Z rod oils will have all the racing oils has plus all the detergents and dispersants for a car that drives on the road

i do an oil change about every 500miles or less. and def does not last more then a month.

should i still change to the new Z rod line of oil? i will still drain it as often because i have serious brain issues. lol i just would like what is better and better protection for the motor.

apagan01 May 12, 2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by evodan2004 (Post 9313257)
i do an oil change about every 500miles or less. and def does not last more then a month.

should i still change to the new Z rod line of oil? i will still drain it as often because i have serious brain issues. lol i just would like what is better and better protection for the motor.

Nothing wrong with being picky Dan, if it gives you piece of mind, i know i am the same way.

If you dont ming spending extra $ then dominator 15W50 is still good for you specially with your car set up, if you want to save some cash then i would go to the AMO 10W40, these both are high zinc and phos oil well over 1200 PPM on both zinc and phos

apagan01 May 18, 2011 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by wizzo 8 (Post 9309668)
Nice. Hopefully Fp updates there recommended oil list and adds this oil to it.

yep

wally7714 May 18, 2011 07:04 PM

Thanks for recommendation Andy. I`ll take some of Z Rod 10W30. I`ll be putting new turbo in this weekend so I`ll try to get 5 qt locally but pm price for the case.
So with my set-up and driving style you`d recommend Z Rod over Dominator ?

apagan01 May 19, 2011 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by wally7714 (Post 9330236)
Thanks for recommendation Andy. I`ll take some of Z Rod 10W30. I`ll be putting new turbo in this weekend so I`ll try to get 5 qt locally but pm price for the case.

So with my set-up and driving style you`d recommend Z Rod over Dominator ?

Correct , because the Z Rod is the oil that will give us the balance between a racing oil and a daily driven car and how this happens is simply because it carries the correct amount of zinc and phos and still has the detergents.

wally7714 May 19, 2011 07:41 AM

I`m sold. Placing my order now:)

Boltz. May 19, 2011 02:19 PM

I don't understand why you wouldn't share the ZDDP values....

Manufacturers usually give those out and there is also an abundance of information from testing labs like blackstone that people post over at bobistheoilguy.com.

It shouldn't be a secret and frankly if the values are higher than the competition, why wouldn't you want to share them?

boostedwrx May 19, 2011 04:15 PM

^ someone needs to buy some, run it, and send it in the Blackstone. I always trust 3rd party results over manufacturer (no offense Andy lol). Im sure it's only matter of time before its up on BITOG.com :)

Fast_Freddie May 19, 2011 05:51 PM

I have a case of 20-50 on the way...

apagan01 May 23, 2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Boltz. (Post 9332443)

Manufacturers usually give those out and there is also an abundance of information from testing labs like blackstone that people post over at bobistheoilguy.com.

It shouldn't be a secret and frankly if the values are higher than the competition, why wouldn't you want to share them?

i will buddy share the info , very soon. {thumbup}

apagan01 May 23, 2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by boostedwrx (Post 9332690)
^ someone needs to buy some, run it, and send it in the Blackstone. I always trust 3rd party results over manufacturer (no offense Andy lol). Im sure it's only matter of time before its up on BITOG.com :)

I dont blame you, i also like to find out for myself what they are saying is truth or not, i can tell you though that in these matters AMSOIL has to be very carefull because there are companies out there just waiting for a slip in false advertisement to slap a law suite,,, so i bet you the number are very accurate.

look at what has hapend to royal purple, mobil and some other comanies that were claiming 100% synthetic oils, they got bit in the rear.

SmurfZilla May 23, 2011 06:31 AM

Cliff's notes?

I used to run Royal Purple in my Honda (Yes i fell for it). Interested to see what happened.

apagan01 May 24, 2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Boltz. (Post 9332443)

Ok here is some of the data you have all been waiting so anxiouslly:

ZDDP VALUES FOR Z-ROD OIL, remember folks this oil is designed to be used on race cars and street cars, this oil was the response to the community since they were asking for an oil that would do the same as Racing Dominator full race oils but still have the detergents and dispersants for street driven cars.

The 4G63 specially benefits from this oil the 4G being an IRON block is susceptiple to corrossion, the Z-Rod oils are designed with anticorrosives to help protect your engine during the storage times.

Zinc 1440 PPM
Phos 1320 PPM

Fast_Freddie May 24, 2011 10:28 AM

Got my case along with a new EA4560 air filter today... will be swapping the oil in the next few weeks, as I just changed the oil a few hundred miles ago...

apagan01 May 24, 2011 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie (Post 9343205)
Got my case along with a new EA4560 air filter today... will be swapping the oil in the next few weeks, as I just changed the oil a few hundred miles ago...

dont forget to share the feedback in this thread once you have time

Fast_Freddie May 24, 2011 07:00 PM

Will do Andy, may even throw up a video of the oil change... hell i may go ahead and change it on Friday since I am off...

WHTEVO May 24, 2011 07:09 PM

I'll have to try some of this. Thanks.

Aaron

CDHoff May 25, 2011 02:15 AM

This has definitely peaked my interest. I see on some of the posts that this oil is being recommended for cars with bigger turbos. I still have the stock turbo in my IX with cams, lots of bolt-ons and WMI. Would this be a good oil for me or should I stick with one of your regular 10w-30 synthetics?

apagan01 May 25, 2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by CDHoff (Post 9345064)
This has definitely peaked my interest. I see on some of the posts that this oil is being recommended for cars with bigger turbos. I still have the stock turbo in my IX with cams, lots of bolt-ons and WMI. Would this be a good oil for me or should I stick with one of your regular 10w-30 synthetics?

Fast_Freddie May 26, 2011 10:39 PM

Okay guys, got off work early tonight, and I have a car to work on tomorrow morning, soI went ahead and changed the oil tonight. Here is a short video of what the new Z-Rod looks like and how it pours... it pours much much easier than the brad penn oil even though it is the same viscosity... I will post up my review once I have run it for a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAUkcEmfbuc

golgo13 May 26, 2011 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9345171)

I'm curious to see how this compares to the SSO 0w-30. I've been running SSO in my track evo for 40,000 miles.

http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/2007/images/SSO.jpg

apagan01 May 27, 2011 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 9350169)
I'm curious to see how this compares to the SSO 0w-30. I've been running SSO in my track evo for 40,000 miles.

http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/2007/images/SSO.jpg

The zddp package in the Z Rod is higher giving it an ability to fight heat driction and fast breakdown, in the SSO what you have is a good balance between zddp , detergents and dispersants oil is meant for long drain intervals nothing woring with using it like you have been, however if you go to an FP turbo or anything ball bearing i would reccomend a little more zddp in your oil.

At the end of the day SSO has proven in your case for 40,000 miles like you mentionned so i would not run changing unless you heavy modify the car.

SmurfZilla May 27, 2011 07:06 AM

Got my order. Thanks,

BluEVOIX May 27, 2011 06:09 PM

Currently I am running the Amsoil Diesel 5w 30 oil on my Evo. My car is on dual map 93 octane but mostly E-85.

Would you recommend the switch to the Z-Rod oil or stay with the Diesel ? If I'm not mistaken they both have around the same Zinc and Phosphorus ppm...

golgo13 May 27, 2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9350394)
if you go to an FP turbo or anything ball bearing i would recommend a little more zddp in your oil.

At the end of the day SSO has proven in your case for 40,000 miles like you mentioned so i would not run changing unless you heavy modify the car.

Good to know. I'll change over to this once I finish my build and am running it.

{thumbup}

apagan01 May 28, 2011 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX (Post 9351948)
Currently I am running the Amsoil Diesel 5w 30 oil on my Evo. My car is on dual map 93 octane but mostly E-85.

Would you recommend the switch to the Z-Rod oil or stay with the Diesel ? If I'm not mistaken they both have around the same Zinc and Phosphorus ppm...

Diesel oils are good also, Z Rod will help for storage of the car in you do in your case over the Diesel.

apagan01 May 28, 2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 9351971)
Good to know. I'll change over to this once I finish my build and am running it.

{thumbup}

Good luck with the build and be safe.

Pure EvoIX Jun 10, 2011 01:04 PM

Just got a case of Zrod 20w50. Switched over from Amsoil 10w40 AMO. I ran 6.5k miles with 3 track days and it was still fine according to Blackstone Labs. I'll see how the new 20w50 will do with some hard track days and street driving. I'll do an oil analysis with 3 track days with 4k miles and see what they say.

06MREvo Jun 10, 2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX (Post 9383358)
Just got a case of Zrod 20w50. Switched over from Amsoil 10w40 AMO. I ran 6.5k miles with 3 track days and it was still fine according to Blackstone Labs. I'll see how the new 20w50 will do with some hard track days and street driving. I'll do an oil analysis with 3 track days with 4k miles and see what they say.

Very nice, keep us updated!! I have 1 more oil change worth of 10w-40 AMO sitting in the garage. So Ill probably be ordering some of the new Zrod stuff within the next month or so...

apagan01 Jun 10, 2011 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX (Post 9383358)

Very good, that is amazing.

tscompusa2 Jun 10, 2011 02:01 PM

6500 miles? holy crap! it takes me a year to put that on my car or more

Pure EvoIX Jun 10, 2011 02:37 PM

Max oil temps i got on track is 257F after 10 laps per session. This is with setrab oil cooler though. Im 99% sure it has alot to do with my lower oil temps. Before was ~275-280F on stock oil cooler. I was making way less power back then versus now (294whp vs 385whp).

Yeah i thought 6500miles and 3 track days was nuts. Blackstone Labs told me do 8k miles and 4 track days...lol. So for the 20w50, im gonna do 4k and 3 track days and see how it is.

apagan01 Jun 12, 2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX (Post 9383623)
Max oil temps i got on track is 257F after 10 laps per session. This is with setrab oil cooler though. Im 99% sure it has alot to do with my lower oil temps. Before was ~275-280F on stock oil cooler. I was making way less power back then versus now (294whp vs 385whp).

Yeah i thought 6500miles and 3 track days was nuts. Blackstone Labs told me do 8k miles and 4 track days...lol. So for the 20w50, im gonna do 4k and 3 track days and see how it is.

Sounds very good.

apagan01 Jun 29, 2011 05:20 PM

Does anyone have any oil labs yet on this oil ?

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie (Post 9305533)

AMSOIL Z-ROD™ Synthetic Motor Oil is specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles. It features a high-zinc formulation to prevent wear on flat-tappet camshafts and other critical engine components, along with a proprietary blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors for added protection during long-term storage. Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is designed to perform on the street and protect during storage.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL, the First in Synthetics®, to do the best job protecting your engine.

Protects Flat-Tappet Cams
The lifters and cam lobes on flat-tappet camshafts common to classic and high performance vehicles slide rapidly against one another, producing high friction and heat. The friction between the two components can eventually wear down the cam and affect valve operation, ultimately resulting in lost engine power and reduced efficiency. In addition, these areas are splash-lubricated rather than pressure lubricated like other areas of the engine, which adds extra strain on anti-wear additives like the zinc and phosphorus in zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP).

AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with high levels of ZDDP to protect flat-tappet cams, lifters, rockers and other areas susceptible to wear. Its high-zinc, high-phosphorus formulation provides the extra wear protection these critical splash-lubricated components require.

Provides Long-Term Protection from Rust & Corrosion
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with a unique blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors to ensure maximum protection during long-term storage. To prove its effectiveness, AMSOIL submitted Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil to the Standard Test Method for Rust Protection in the Humidity Cabinet (ASTM D-1748). This test evaluates the rust-preventative properties of oil under high-humidity conditions, similar to those faced by a covered hot rod in a damp garage. The metal coupon treated with AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil showed no signs of oxidation after 192 hours, while the coupon treated with a leading competitor’s product failed the test after 24 hours.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for older or modified engines requiring either 10W-30 or 20W-50 motor oil. Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil meets API SL and earlier specifications, allowing for increased levels of anti-wear additives. ZDDP levels in Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil exceed the limits of API SM and newer specifications.

COMPATIBILITY
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oils are compatible with conventional and other synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oils.

SERVICE LIFE
Because classic cars, hot rods and other performance vehicles are generally modified by their owners, AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for a maximum drain interval of 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Heavily modified vehicles (forced induction, nitrous) should not exceed 3,000 miles or one year between oil changes, whichever comes first.

HEALTH & SAFETY
This product is not expected to cause health concerns when used for the intended application and according to the recommendations in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). An MSDS is available via the Internet at www.amsoil.com or upon request at (715) 392-7101. Keep Out of Reach of Children. Don’t pollute. Return used oil to collection centers.

For warranty information, visit www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx.

rEVOlution04 Jun 29, 2011 08:27 PM

So does the zrod have more zinc and phosphorous than the dominator? What's the difference between the two?

apagan01 Jun 30, 2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by rEVOlution04 (Post 9427444)
So does the zrod have more zinc and phosphorous than the dominator? What's the difference between the two?

Z Rod has both the 30 and 50 weights:
Zinc 1440 PPM
Phos 1320 PPM

Dominator are up in the 1500, not that much furhter than Z Rod, the difference is how Z rod has detergents where dominator does not.

So you can say Z Rod is a good racing and street driven oil.

Fast_Freddie Jun 30, 2011 05:19 PM

Andy, I have about 1500 miles on the 20-50 Z-Rod ATM...

apagan01 Jun 30, 2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie (Post 9429738)
Andy, I have about 1500 miles on the 20-50 Z-Rod ATM...

you still have another 2-2500 miles before you can call that oil quit's {thumbup}

04AWDTURBOEVO Jul 5, 2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9429729)
Z Rod has both the 30 and 50 weights:
Zinc 1440 PPM
Phos 1320 PPM

Dominator are up in the 1500, not that much furhter than Z Rod, the difference is how Z rod has detergents where dominator does not.

So you can say Z Rod is a good racing and street driven oil.

I will be doing my oil change today, Andy.

I am going to put this 15w50 Dominator in, but on next oil change, I will be going with the ZRod type.

It sounds like it will be better for my DD Evo :thumbup:.

Amsoil is good stuff :).

apagan01 Jul 6, 2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO (Post 9437903)
I will be doing my oil change today, Andy.

I am going to put this 15w50 Dominator in, but on next oil change, I will be going with the ZRod type.

It sounds like it will be better for my DD Evo :thumbup:.

Amsoil is good stuff :).

yes sir you cant go wrong either way, but Z Rod will be better suited for a DD like yours.

Good luck on your new journey by the way,
we have to catch up soon maybe go fishing, last time was a blast even though all we cought was a cold

Jonesey I7 Jul 14, 2011 01:32 PM

Got me some goodies for tomorrow's install.....

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/448/imag0217l.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

apagan01 Jul 14, 2011 05:22 PM

^^^

whats in the FP box ?

Levar Apr 24, 2012 05:06 PM

I bought five quarts of this earlier this week. I am pretty excited to see how it performs here in Arizona.

apagan01 Apr 24, 2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by pure_evo (Post 10122399)
I bought five quarts of this earlier this week. I am pretty excited to see how it performs here in Arizona.

{thumbup}

Let us know how it works

Levar Apr 25, 2012 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 10122431)
{thumbup}

Let us know how it works

I will.

Spec-Ops1 Apr 25, 2012 08:17 AM

Still the only two oils I recommend... Z-Rod 10-30 for stock motor and Z-Rod 20-50 for built motor cars!

u189961 Apr 25, 2012 04:00 PM

Got my zrod 10w30, thanks. Will be doing my oil change tonight.

u189961 Apr 26, 2012 10:35 AM

So I changed my oil last night and it feels good! Seems real good for a DD. I've been running Amsoil since I got my car, awesome oils!

Here is the one thing I noticed maybe someone can help.

I've been running Dominator 10w30 for the last 1.5 years and has been great. When I changed my oil last night to the Z-Rod 10w30, I noticed lifter tick which has not happened before. I'm thinking it's because of the new oil I'm using since I've been running the dominator for a while? Any thoughts?

apagan01 Apr 26, 2012 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by u189961 (Post 10126465)
So I changed my oil last night and it feels good! Seems real good for a DD. I've been running Amsoil since I got my car, awesome oils!

Here is the one thing I noticed maybe someone can help.

I've been running Dominator 10w30 for the last 1.5 years and has been great. When I changed my oil last night to the Z-Rod 10w30, I noticed lifter tick which has not happened before. I'm thinking it's because of the new oil I'm using since I've been running the dominator for a while? Any thoughts?

Got your pm and answered it,,, you can post your thoughts to my answer here maybe Freddy and the spec ops folks can chime in.

Like I said your lifter may have been on the way out.
Also dominator being a racing oil it has no detergents or barely any so after runnning RD for 1.5 yrs and then throwing a full detergent oil in the engine it may have dislodged dirt and clogged it.

These are just theories they are not truth yet,meat thing to do is swap those lifters,mi know spec ops can hook you up with some nice ones

u189961 Apr 26, 2012 07:45 PM

Yup thanks! The lifter tick seems to be going away now. It's not as audible as it was last night.

I think you are absolutely right though! With me running the RD for 1.5 years w/ minimal detergents, this might have cleaned up a lot of stuff out and caused the lifters to be clogged! I'll keep listening in and will definitely look into the lifter replacement.

I'll definitely be sticking to the Z-Rod now...way better suited for my DD!

Thanks!

apagan01 Apr 26, 2012 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by u189961 (Post 10127620)
Yup thanks! The lifter tick seems to be going away now. It's not as audible as it was last night.

I think you are absolutely right though! With me running the RD for 1.5 years w/ minimal detergents, this might have cleaned up a lot of stuff out and caused the lifters to be clogged! I'll keep listening in and will definitely look into the lifter replacement.

I'll definitely be sticking to the Z-Rod now...way better suited for my DD!

Thanks!

And perhaps what it may be cleaning out is the super high contents of zinc and phos dominator had, over 1300 ppm

The great thing about zrod is that it has over 1200 ppm of zinc and phos and it still has the detergents to keep internals clean

u189961 Apr 26, 2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 10127629)
And perhaps what it may be cleaning out is the super high contents of zinc and phos dominator had, over 1300 ppm

The great thing about zrod is that it has over 1200 ppm of zinc and phos and it still has the detergents to keep internals clean

yup yup! And it keeps my FP Black happy!

Spec-Ops1 Apr 27, 2012 10:34 AM

Not sure what may have caused the lifter tick all the sudden... perhaps detergents dislodging things as Andy said...

llDemonll Apr 27, 2012 10:43 AM

I'm about 2500 miles on my first 10W-30 ZRod change and my lifters have an audible tick now. It's nothing I'm scared of, I've heard way worse, but i can hear them with the hood open and i'm fairly certain they're louder than before (only had the hood open with the car running once since last change). We'll see if it quiets down on the next change, before that I'd been using the normal Mobil1 and the previous owner had the dealership he bought it from doing his changes with whatever they use.

u189961 Apr 27, 2012 03:25 PM

My lifter tick is gone now!

Spec-Ops1 Apr 27, 2012 04:51 PM

My lifters have been hit or miss sometimes they tick, sometimes they don't...

apagan01 Apr 27, 2012 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Freddie@Spec-Ops (Post 10129292)
My lifters have been hit or miss sometimes they tick, sometimes they don't...

Mine also started ticking right after I installed fossil M2 cams, car only had 12000 miles when they were installed

sparky Apr 27, 2012 06:23 PM

I have no doubt that this new lubricant is a product possesed of considerable merit. However, I am left wondering why this particular thread was not started instead in the Vendor Announcements section rather than in this venue.

The raison detre of that vendor's subforum is specifically this form of commercialized promotional fanfare. Sure, I mean duh, this product's release is guaranteed a much larger audience on the Engine, Turbo, and Drivetrain forum. But, that's not the point. Or, is it?

B.J.@ToxicFab Apr 27, 2012 06:26 PM

I've been using Zrod 10W-30 for the past month, so far so good!

Spec-Ops1 Apr 27, 2012 08:21 PM

I wasn't trying to sell it when I posted the thread, it was just information for the community... didn't really think about it...

ak47m203 Sep 28, 2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9305584)
This will be one popular oil, expect the high horsepower cars to use this alot because of the high content of zinc and phos

I'm about to do an oil change using the Amsoil European Car Formula 100% Synthetic 5W-40. Can I mix 1 quart of this Zrod 10w-30 then the rest is European 5w-40. Just for Zinc/phos purposes. My car is Evo x MR stock with bolt-on @330awhp. I still have a catalytic converter but it's an AMS HFC.

Anyone knows how zinc/pho contents of European Car Formula 100% Synthetic 5W-40.

Thanks.

kyoo Oct 3, 2012 08:43 AM

i'll be using this for sure this go around

apagan01 Oct 3, 2012 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ak47m203 (Post 10426074)
I'm about to do an oil change using the Amsoil European Car Formula 100% Synthetic 5W-40. Can I mix 1 quart of this Zrod 10w-30 then the rest is European 5w-40. Just for Zinc/phos purposes. My car is Evo x MR stock with bolt-on @330awhp. I still have a catalytic converter but it's an AMS HFC.

Anyone knows how zinc/pho contents of European Car Formula 100% Synthetic 5W-40.

Thanks.

You can mix not an issue at all.

Spec-Ops1 Oct 3, 2012 06:35 PM

I have been mixing 2 quarts of RD 15-50 with 3 quarts of Z-Rod 20-50 as of late...

kyoo Nov 11, 2012 11:56 AM

Posted this in another thread:

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...1d4896#p378825

Check the list of "Outstanding Protection" category - spoiler, z-rod is on there

10W30 Amsoil Z-Rod Oil, full synthetic = 95,360 psi
zinc = 1431 ppm
phos = 1441 ppm
moly = 52 ppm

Blitz Dec 23, 2013 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by apagan01 (Post 9309082)

What about built motor daily driver during winter in the Midwest? Like below zero cold start. Is 20W50 too thick?