Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sport Compact Car Magazine Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport Compact Car Magazine Feedback

- What would make you buy SCC every month?
- What does SCC do that you don't like?
- How are we unique to our competitors?
- Would you recommend us to a friend?
- How likely are you to subscribe?
- How are we delivering on the Lancer Evolution?
- What would you like to see on that particular model?

--If as many of you could respond, Sport Compact Car would greatly appreciate it--
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

why does this have to be all about evos truthfully any car that has been worked on and showed good performance increase should be considered. that my $.02
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scc4evos

--If as many of you could respond, Sport Compact Car would greatly appreciate it--
1) semi decent articles.
2) not post me in readers rides section (especially since i have 2 evos...)
3) unique in that the sarcasm in the articles can be high schoolish at times
4) yes i would (but turbo & hi performance is 1st choice)
5) subscriptions are a pain to cancel so i will keep paying full price + the
newsstand get's them sooner.
6) pretty good i'd say
7) what your formula is for 1/4 mile & road testing so the average guy can
duplicate it.

other than that mag is pretty decent. waay better than stupid street!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Ah you're getting around. I saw this same post in the STi forums. I honestly only pickup SCC when there is a big article that interests me...like the Evo vs. STi cover recently. I have an SRT-4 and even the project car really doesn't interest me anymore. Something just sorta dull about 4 pages dedicated to an LSD install. Maybe it's because I have an '04.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

I've switched to Modified and DSport for a few reasons... #1 they cover lots more... their magazines get thicker while SCC shrinks.

Next, SCC seems to feature mainly cars from So Cal area. There are lots of other great cars out there! Not only does SCC feature So Cal cars almost exclusively, but the same cars over and over from the same shops. Gets old.

SCC seems to be mainly focused on road racing. While great, there is a lot out there being missed.

Modified is currently my favorite. SCC used to be my #1, but now it's becoming something that I don't bother picking up anymore unless someone tells me something in there is good.

And although I love my EVO and other EVOs, I'm tired of reading the same basic article in SCC: "EVO vs STI... EVO wins hands down! "

Lets see something new!
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:04 PM

i subscribe and like it, some issues are awsome (aug 2003, except for all the mix ups on the wheels) and some not so much
id say try to keep the quality at the same top level for all your issues and keep it consistant
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Ha Ha Ha...you also posted this on svtperformance as scc4svts. Thats ok though.

Get rid of the section with reader's rides when all of the rides are just some crappy body kit. Nobody cares.

Keep up the tech articles, maybe add more, I like those.

Get rid of Christian Rado's articles, he only serves to stink up the rest of the magazine.

Fewer advertisements of body kits and neon lights. Unless theres naked (thats right, I said NAKED) models all over the page.

List how much each project car costs, i.e. how much the parts are and how much labor is especially (that would help me decide whether or not to do it because I'm on a budget).

Show more home-grown cars. By this I mean don't tell me what some guy paid a shop to do. I don't give a rat's *** if some mid-life-crisis-crotch-pheasant paid a shop to supercharge his Acura 3.2 CL. Instead, lets here about some kid or older person who took a few weekends and rebuilt his car and made it run 10s in the quarter, even if it looks like **** (kind of like some red Civic that a couple turbo'd over the course of a few weekends that was in your mag. a while back). However, if its a shop car thats being worked on, thats cool.

You're the only import mag. I read, so you're doing a good job, keep it up. And don't listen to those guys on svtperformance, if anything you should do less on SVT Foci and more (lots and lots more) on the Evo. Oh yeah, screw the STI articles too, they only detract time from the Evo (ok I'm not serious on that one).

And about being unique, with the exception of Turbo, you're the only import mag that really gets into the tech stuff, which I like, so again keep that up. Under no circumstances become like Modified Mag (or whatever the hell its called), or (gasp) Super Street. Ever!!

Oh yeah, and give me a free subscription.

Last edited by astrocreep96; Jan 9, 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 04:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My main complaint about SCC, and most of the magazines is every car seems to be modified in EXACTLY The same way, and cars that are real drivers, or modified in a unique (and functional way) get very little coverage..

I'm just not interested in Lambo doors, 8 video screens, and impractical modifications.. How about covering cars that you "really find" on the roads.

This isn't just an evo thing, but all of them.. But who cares about carbon fiber hoods if they aren't lighter than stock..

and I agree with one of the above posts, there should be alot more grassroots coverage.

Oh and hire me as a tech writer/photographer..
Old Jan 10, 2005, 05:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More real daily drivers, and less "bling"! It is also obvious that the "buddy system" influences the magazine too much. Sure your going to develope "friends in the buiness", but lets try to cover other people's vehicles too. I buy Modified more often now also...

Last edited by Zeus; Jan 10, 2005 at 05:35 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

I'm looking for tech articles backed by reliable performance tests (e.g. engine modifications backed by before and after dyno results/quarter mile times, suspension modifications backed by before and after road course/slalom times, brake modifications backed by before and after 60-0 tests, etc...)
Old Jan 10, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Let me first say that I am not in your normal demographic. I am 48. I am not interested in drag racing or drifting. I would not think of going to NOPI or most import car shows. I own an Evo and an ITR. I enjoy autocrossing and road racing.

I have been reading your magazine for about 5 years. I have never had a subscription but I buy it probably about 6 times per year. I really enjoy the fact that you have increased the number and quality of your technical articles. You have moved away from bling and more towards performance. Great!

I could care less about readers rides. All the boring details about how they added this AEM part and that Wings West bodykit. But I realize that your advertisers are primarily aftermarket parts manufacturers and suppliers and you have to keep pushing the mod it to the max ethic. I can live with that.

I would like it if you increased comparison articles on aftermarket parts. When you add a part and then dyno it and show the improvement (or lack thereof)

I question your f**k authority attitude. I know it sells mags to the younger demographic but sometimes it gets those kids in big trouble. They think they are being heros like Jacquot but they end up as zero jacko*fs with fines and criminal records. Stop promoting driving fast on the street and you will serve the community better.

regards,
alan
Old Jan 10, 2005, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

I absolutely love your magazine, in my opinion it is truly the best of the tuning magazines. If you do a search, you will find a poll that took place asking which tuner magazine was the best, you guys easily won that poll, so there is plenty of support for you guys in the EVO community. To answer your questions-

What would make you buy SCC every month?

Continue doing what you are doing, and improve from there. Continued competetion events, and continued improvments on the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. To me the Ultimate Street Car Challenge is the best event covered in automotive magazine industry.

What does SCC do that you don't like?

I was pretty upset that readers were not allowed to select this years Ultimate Car Challenge participants. I would love to see readers have a more active participation in the selection process, maybe allowing readers to vote the top 20 or 30 cars, and you guys select the rest. I also am very disappointed with you drag racing numbers each year, maybe you guys should give California Speedway a rest, because some of the drag racing times are just horrible. Perhaps if you allowed each car more passes, times would improve. I know it's more than a drag racing event, but there is no reason why a 600WHP+ Supra should run high 12s.

How are we unique to our competitors?

You guys are unique because you guys truly come up with interesting to read and well written articles. I just love the topics in your magazines, they are well written. You guys cover all the topics that tuners find interesting.

Would you recommend us to a friend?

I wouldn't recommend any other, you guys are the best. Still even the best can improve.

How likely are you to subscribe?

In the near future, very possible. It's like I already subscribe anyways, because I buy your magazine each month.

How are we delivering on the Lancer Evolution?

Very well, you guys give the EVO great props and we give you guys great props in return. The EVO community appreciates your support of the EVO platform.

What would you like to see on that particular model?

More interesting topics, I love how you guys use your imagination to come up with new innovated topics. In the end, the photos help, the stats help, the cars in the magazine help, and the models help, but what really sells a magazine are the stories. Your stories continue to be a step above the rest.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 03venom
I'm looking for tech articles backed by reliable performance tests (e.g. engine modifications backed by before and after dyno results/quarter mile times, suspension modifications backed by before and after road course/slalom times, brake modifications backed by before and after 60-0 tests, etc...)
I agree 100%. I'm looking for a mag that most times will do common mods and really try to evaulate the effectiveness of the mod via dyno & actual runs. And it would nice to add multiple vendors products as a comparasion. For example, for an article on manual boost controlers, put several vendors produts on the same car one at a time and compare the results. Who has the more stable boost? etc....
Old Jan 10, 2005, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

-SCC needs more meat in its magazine.
-SCC is unique b/c it's article are written in adult language. Not gangsta-ricer style, more serious tuner style
-Certainly
-Eh, you guys have the most expensive subscription rates of any magazine. $25 may be nothing, but it's not worth keeping when EVO's show up in only 3-4 issues/yr. Pad it up with more advertisers, and lower your rates a little so I could care less about "empty" issues.
-Of course, we want more EVOs. From other forums, it appears the EVO is overdone on your mag - don't listen to them.
-More comparos, buyers guides, and more tech stuff. Less drifting!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bo0oost
And although I love my EVO and other EVOs, I'm tired of reading the same basic article in SCC: "EVO vs STI... EVO wins hands down! "

Lets see something new!
I never get tired of an Evo giving an STi a beatdown.

Quick Reply: Sport Compact Car Magazine Feedback