Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I just had a lot of fun in the snow with the MR.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had a lot of fun in the snow with the MR.

Guys -

This car is so much fun in the snow. I had it sideways most of the time on my way home. This opinion is based solely on the 05 evos. I found for snow traction, that tarmac setting is better if you're just driving on the streets. I could only get the rear end to slide when I get on the gas in a turn. If I lift, the tail stuck back in without drama. I found the snow setting to make the car very tail happy in the snow. It was fun but I was doing a lot of oposite lock and staying on the throttle. If you lift in the snow settinig, the front end has the tendency of going wide until you get back on the throttle and the rear end steps in and corrects it. in tarmac, I found the front wheels working a lot more than the rear so that would explain the better street drivability.

Now go out in a parking lot and have some fun if you in the northeast

I'm getting ready to go back out. By the way I'm on all season tires.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:14 PM
BMS
Account Disabled

Agreed, I didn't have as much fun, until I put it on snow also.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

I agree.

It's so much fun!
Old Jan 22, 2005, 03:06 PM
os2
Evolving Member

Pardon my ignorance since I have an '03, but what is the point of having "snow" acd setting then if it drives better in in the snow with "tarmac" on? What exactly happens in "snow" mode?
Old Jan 22, 2005, 06:54 PM
choad

ttiwwp
Old Jan 22, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

did you change the tires? cuz i slip all the time w/ the stock tires. need to change the blizak lm22 so i can keep up w/ those suv
Old Jan 22, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by os2
Pardon my ignorance since I have an '03, but what is the point of having "snow" acd setting then if it drives better in in the snow with "tarmac" on? What exactly happens in "snow" mode?
in snow mode mor power is transferred to the the front axels, creating more understeer to prevent spinouts.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nine4surfah
in snow mode mor power is transferred to the the front axels, creating more understeer to prevent spinouts.
quite the contrary. I found more front action in the tarmac mode. I the snow setting, I found the rear working a little more. I'm going out again to confirm this.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

What is everyone's opinion on how much snow is too much for the Evo to get through? We had a foot here in the Philly area, and even with my Blizzaks, I was a little nervous taking out the car when the depth got over 8 inches or so.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:38 AM

Had my blizzaks on and had a blast in the snow.

About 10 inch in West Chester pa, and problems at all besides my intercooler having about a inch of ice on it
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:42 AM

Maron, I have to disagree. Snow mode understeers but it's the right choice in snow. If you are on the throttle in Tarmac mode, the rear end will come out in corners, which is not a problem when doing 10mph and turning onto a side street but in curves at any speed breaking the tires loose is real bad.
For fun in parking lots, tear it up in tarmac mode. You can drift, spin, reverse or forward spin in place with ease, but for streets I strongly recommend sticking to snow mode.
Even in tarmac mode, though the car recovers extremely well. Very confidence inspiring.

Barnettevo - I'm running Blizzaks and am in Northern jersey. Was not a problem even in a virgin parking lot. Obviously not driving is safer
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

has anyone got stuck on snow?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Barnettevo
What is everyone's opinion on how much snow is too much for the Evo to get through? We had a foot here in the Philly area, and even with my Blizzaks, I was a little nervous taking out the car when the depth got over 8 inches or so.
I found the front bumper to be extremely rigid and hard. Unless it gets really icy, don't worry about it. It is not going to break or gets scratch if it is soft snow.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by topout
Maron, I have to disagree. Snow mode understeers but it's the right choice in snow. If you are on the throttle in Tarmac mode, the rear end will come out in corners, which is not a problem when doing 10mph and turning onto a side street but in curves at any speed breaking the tires loose is real bad.
For fun in parking lots, tear it up in tarmac mode. You can drift, spin, reverse or forward spin in place with ease, but for streets I strongly recommend sticking to snow mode.
Even in tarmac mode, though the car recovers extremely well. Very confidence inspiring.

Barnettevo - I'm running Blizzaks and am in Northern jersey. Was not a problem even in a virgin parking lot. Obviously not driving is safer
You may be right. I'm just speaking from the seat of the pants and what I have experienced in the streets.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

as far as snow depth i try not to get in deeper than ride height so i don't plow with the intercooler opening or hit ice with the skirts. otherwise i haven't been stuck yet. my mr sits in garage and just the '03 is out