Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

question on 5 point harness install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2005, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on 5 point harness install

i recently got a sparco 5 point harness with cam lock and 3" belts. additionally i have the sparco harness bar for the shoulder straps. my question is, i was able to get both shoulder straps attached to the bar (easy), and i was able to get the outside lap belt attached at the factory belt attach point (also easy). now, does anyone know how to attached the inside lap belt? i was thinking of installing it on the factory mounting point but i run into two problems. the first is that the factory belt latch has the wires connected to it and i didn't want to disconnect that. that means the only way to install it is by running the harness connection outside of the factory latch at which point the bolt needs odd sized spacers and washers to get everything to fit right. is there a better place to mount the harness at on that side?

next, if i am running with the harness in an autocross and the factory belt is not attached, is there any way to get the seatbelt chime to stop? or is my best bet just to disconnect the wire from the belt latch? would the default for the belt chime be on or off with that wire disconnected?

any help is appreciated!!!

TIA
Old Feb 12, 2005, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor

correction on question number 1. i found a longer bolt and used a spacer that came with the harness bar to bump out the harness attachment point outside the factory latch. the inside belt attaches quite easily with thing longer bolt and the spacer. but my question concerning the belt chime still stands....
Old Feb 12, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

You either connect the wires together or keep them disconnected to stop the chime.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 03:16 PM

Kevin

YOU DEVIL!! that harness setup mets tech for you know what. Could a race be in your future? I went with rearseat floorboard attachment points so I could use the factory belts in addition. But that is probably way overkill.

EB
Old Feb 12, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Kevin,

If you wish to retain the stock belt restraint system do what I did. I assume you will only be running the harness on the driver's side.

1) Invest in a set of eyelets. Sparco has them for sale as well as Takata. You will need three normal sized ones and one three inch one for the lower mounting point by the bottom of the seat by the door.
2) Get the latch kit from sparco to run your harnesses through.
3) Now you can run the harnesses only when you have to and when you want to take them off, all you have to do is unlatch them.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

hey eddybear! i'm certainly considering the race still. i actually came up with a few better options then risking the evo on the big bend ORR. my friend and i are looking at building up a race car, and we were going to get a TSI or GSX eclipse. they are old, cheap, and fast. that way if it gets wrecked, it wont be a big deal at all. additionally we can prep it for rally and autocross so it will have multiple uses. this plan is still developing so not sure how it will turn out.

as for the floorboard mounts, it seemed like a better idea to me, but two things kept me from trying that method. the first is i would have had to order some anchors, and sense i have the harness sitting here, i am impatient and just latched it to the harness bar. the second was for people sitting in the back seat, there are those loops on the floor which may not be comfortable or quite as clean looking. we'll see though. i may change my mind and order some floor anchors.

kmxxbadboy, i think the latch kit is the way i might go if i decide to do the floor anchors that eddybear was talking about. it will make for easy in and out of the harnesses, but right now i can sit in the seat with the factory belt and the harnesses are tucked away.

autoxevo: do you know which way it is? if it is keeping the wires apart turns the chime off, i am going to pull the seat out and disconnect the wires at a connection point under the seat somewhere. if it is the other way (connecting the two wires), maybe i will try to find a used seatbelt and cut the latch off and just keep that in the car, plug it in when i use the harness, and put it away when i am not using them. that way i don't need to do anymore cutting then nessisary. my goal is to not start cutting and splicing wires.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a simple wire connector under the seat, disconnect it and the chime stops
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:01 PM
Former Sponsor

thats the answer i have been looking for! thanks nothere!!
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

goto the junk yard and buy a seat belt thinggie to put in the seat belt connector while running the harness.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nothere
there is a simple wire connector under the seat, disconnect it and the chime stops
if you do that your airbag system assumes you are not belted in and deploys with more force. Buying a spare seatbelt at the junk yard is better - or if you're cheap pass the stock belt behind the seat and plug it in.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering about that just the other day. thanks voidhawk.
so the bag still goes off, just with more force?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

yip - if the SRS senses a seatbelt being worn, it reduces the deployment force to prevent face bruises (or reduce them in any case). I saw a guy at a dealership looking for a new car after a crash with airbags deployed, his whole face was purple - it was ugly...
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

wondering, do you have a roll cage?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
always mount the 5 point in at least 45 degree, never 90 degree straight down.

yeh, more force for airbag. just have to click something on the existing seatbelt, like the male plug on the seatbelt.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
always mount the 5 point in at least 45 degree, never 90 degree straight down.
45 deg is too much. Use the instructions from the harness manufacturer, not the friendly advise from some install shop - you are talking about a device meant to save your life in a crash.

Quick Reply: question on 5 point harness install