Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will the evo torque steer like a modded WRX without the front LSD?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2003, 12:00 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the evo torque steer like a modded WRX without the front LSD?

This is important to me at lease. For those who has an evo with an open front diff how is it? I really hate torque steer and one wheel peel is not cool.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ummmm dont know how your going to do a one wheel peel in awd
Old Jan 18, 2003, 02:10 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Boosted
ummmm dont know how your going to do a one wheel peel in awd
This is what happens in a wrx at least. When dragracing or launching the weight gets transfered to the rear and the nose goes up. The front end gets light and the diff starts working because it's an open diff vs LSD.

What i'm hoping is that the shocks are stiff enought to help keep the front wheels down. If we have a LSD i wouldn't of ask about this.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have a WRX, but it peel off on both front wheels when I do a 6K drop at the drag, not just one. As long as you keep your steeling wheel straight and not let your open slip diff find a weak side!
Old Jan 18, 2003, 03:24 PM
Ben
Evolving Member

Yea, even with an open diff the only way you'll get 1 wheel to spin is if you have uneven traction. The WRX generally dosn't torque steer, it's got equal length half shafts. Don't know about the EVO though, with it's transverse mounted engine it may have unequal length half shafts which would have more to do with torque steer than an open diff.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 03:27 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Your right it doesnt when it's stock. It only does it with the stock 16" with stock tires on cold days. Running TurboXs "utec" stage 3 with upipe and TMIC.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Will the evo torque steer like a modded WRX without the front LSD?

Originally posted by gtr
This is important to me at lease. For those who has an evo with an open front diff how is it? I really hate torque steer and one wheel peel is not cool.
This will really depend on the center diff. With tight center diff (close to 50:50), you will push no matter what. Addition of the front LSD might make things even worse.

With better center diff, things might get better. But either way, check the other thread that we have on the center diff split which has much more info.

In short, I think you are looking for the fix where your problem isn't coming from!

Fedja
Old Jan 18, 2003, 05:35 PM
EvoM Guru

I wonder if you are running stock wheels or aftermarket with a different offset? On an AWD car this is the only cause of torque steer I have noticed. My Talon makes ~350whp and only torque steers when I have my road race set-up (rims) on which widen the track.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The only issue that I get with torque steer is when I make mistake and unbalance the car with abrupt throttle engagement!

Also, things like raising the rear end of the car, extra camber in the front, lower camber in the rear would affect this one as well.

Good luck

Fedja
Old Jan 18, 2003, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Theres that damn fedja again!!!!!
Old Jan 18, 2003, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

what exactly is tourque steer anyway? is that when you put power to the wheels in the middle of a turn and the steering wheel kindof gets a mind of its own and if you fight it too much the wheels will break loose? i've noticed this doing hard launches while making u turns or just normal turns in my lancer.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 06:39 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Floor your car when the road is wet and you'll see. Its when the car pulls to the left when you accelerate. Or was it right
Old Jan 18, 2003, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

You will not need to worry about torque steer on the EVO VIII. 270 crank HP is probably going to be around 220 hp by the time it hits the wheels. You are not going to break traction pumping 220 hp through 3 235's on 8" rims.

Matt
Old Jan 18, 2003, 10:57 PM
Ben
Evolving Member

If it had unequal length half shafts you wouldn't have to break traction to torque steer. Does anybody know?

Also, true you won't break traction on dry pavement(well you could, but your tranny wouldn't last long). It will be easy to do in the rain/snow/gravel though.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:18 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally posted by xcdan
Theres that damn fedja again!!!!!
I don't get your post

Anyways, 270 crank is kinda low. Then again you'll be surprised when the car is launched at 5500rpms. Hopefully we'll get aftermarket support soon.

Quick Reply: Will the evo torque steer like a modded WRX without the front LSD?