Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Idea: Put together a petition for a 2.4 (4g64)motor

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No doubt, the 4G64 is almost as old as the 4G63. If anything, there might be a future for this new 2.7L that's supposed to come out.

I'm divided on this issue. I like the idea of a bigger motor, because we as Americans don't have to worry about 2.0L ceilings imposed on cars. But because WRC rules dicatate that there be an upper limit, I'm also biased towards the side of tradition and having an engine that tuners on BOTH sides of the pond have the ability to work on. Having two engine familes on the same car might eventually pit them against one another, making one car dominate and the other languish. I think if you have a sports car in your line up its best to keep things as simple as possible.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Turboniam

Where did you get this information?

MMSA. I've known about this for almost a year.

While they have never actually uttered the words "the 2.4 is dead" the writing is definately on the wall.

When the 04' Galant debuts this fall it will have the new 2.7L motor as will the Outlander and some versions of the Lancer (Ralliart and AWD Sportback). That leaves only the Eclipse as a user of the 2.4 and that car will switch to the new Galant platform (and engines) with the 05' model year.

That leaves 0 applications for the 2.4 after 04'.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

yeah that whole no replacement for displacement...its tru only if you have more then 4 cylindars. you can only make a 4 banger have soo much displacement..if you make it have too much then you will have too long of a stroke, have a very low redline, and will be blowing out your drivetrain everyday since it will be a torque monster.

2.4L = bad idea

sure you might be able to squeeze a little bit more power out of it but your drivetrain will be hurting.

the 2.2L stroker kit for the 4G63 would be the better way to go. 2.4L is just a little bit too much IMO.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 03:25 PM
Ben
Evolving Member

I drive a first generation WRX.

I haven't really contradicted much of what Claudius said. Just that you can't really say which vehicle has a stronger tranny at this point because the STI's is all new and people haven't gotten the chance to really beat on them to see at what point they break. Also, I know full well that the EVO can be modified to make plenty of power. I was just saying if Mitsubishi wants to compete on the showroom they'll have to up the displacement because of emissions.

The Subaru crank issue was just information from the question he posted. It's true, just take a look at one.

Everything is very stout, and very close together. If you hear of a Subaru crank failure it's generally due to something else, bad tuning, lost oil pressure, etc. Generally the pistons or rods in a Subaru engine are what goes, usually #3 cylinder. It's last on the fuel rail, and is thus most prone to run lean and detonate. There's fuel rail mods to fix that though. If the Subaru engine is tuned well, it can handle very large amounts of power, just like the 4g63. I've heard of 600+hp EJ20's and EJ25's, and 600+hp 4G63's. The potential is there for both of them.

Last edited by Ben; Jan 20, 2003 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 05:09 PM

I'd rather see a 6 speed transmission and ACD or something rather than 2.4l.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Sweft
Ditto!
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mark F

MMSA. I've known about this for almost a year.

While they have never actually uttered the words "the 2.4 is dead" the writing is definately on the wall.

When the 04' Galant debuts this fall it will have the new 2.7L motor as will the Outlander and some versions of the Lancer (Ralliart and AWD Sportback). That leaves only the Eclipse as a user of the 2.4 and that car will switch to the new Galant platform (and engines) with the 05' model year.

That leaves 0 applications for the 2.4 after 04'.
Good information... is the 2.7 going to be an I4 or 6 cylinder???
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Sweft
Guys, did you not see my previous posts... the 6 speed and diff goodies are NOT any part of this thread/issue.

I will repeat myself again... NO DOUBT Mitsu HAS to bring the 6 speed and diff goodies AS SOON AS POSSIBLE because of Subaru's latest marketing strategy.

I even read somewhere that Subaru is going to be putting the 6 speed in the WRX too... however, we'll see how true that is??

EDIT: To further support the "given" that Mitsu will bring the tranny etc to the EVO ASAP, I read an article in the Feb Motor Trend about the EVO... in it they said the 6 speed would probably be here in a year or two... I say it will take Mitsu only one year if they have any brains at all.

Last edited by Turboniam; Jan 21, 2003 at 03:26 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Turboniam

Good information... is the 2.7 going to be an I4 or 6 cylinder???
4. Doesn't make sense to replace ones bread-and-butter 4-banger with a V6.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Mark, good info, but don't forget plays on a global scale.
The 2.4l engine will continue for other markets. Also, knowing , the 2.7l you're reffering to is likely a bored out version of the 2.4l, (think 3.5l V6 is now 3.8l V6)
Also, the 4G63 was not intended to come to the U.S., thus it is still possible that the EVO may get a 4G64T next time around. RalliArt used the engine for 2 years in their Paris Dakkar prototypes.(1995 and 1996)
I'm really impatient to see the next gen Galant and the new engine.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would stick with the WRC Regulations and keep the 2.0L Turbo. Rally cars are 2.0L not 2.5L. ACD/AYC and six speed are enough. Imagine you bought an STi and you wanted to rally and they said "nuh uh" that motor is too big." Wouldn't that suck?

hee hee.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by evomk8
Mark, good info, but don't forget plays on a global scale.
The 2.4l engine will continue for other markets. Also, knowing , the 2.7l you're reffering to is likely a bored out version of the 2.4l,
I doubt it. The 4G64 is used primarily in the U.S. market. I think Australia is the only other place it shows up in a Magna or Verada. Everywhere else uses the GDI's and usually 2.0L's or smaller. The 4G64 is a bored out version of the 4G63. There isn't enough room in that block to get to 2.7L. This is likely to be an all new engine.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:03 PM
Ben
Evolving Member

Originally posted by s4awd
I would stick with the WRC Regulations and keep the 2.0L Turbo. Rally cars are 2.0L not 2.5L. ACD/AYC and six speed are enough. Imagine you bought an STi and you wanted to rally and they said "nuh uh" that motor is too big." Wouldn't that suck?

hee hee.
Well shoot, there goes my plans of entering an STI in WRC next year.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Ben

Well shoot, there goes my plans of entering an STI in WRC next year.
ROTFLOL
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GPTourer

I doubt it. The 4G64 is used primarily in the U.S. market. I think Australia is the only other place it shows up in a Magna or Verada. Everywhere else uses the GDI's and usually 2.0L's or smaller. The 4G64 is a bored out version of the 4G63. There isn't enough room in that block to get to 2.7L. This is likely to be an all new engine.
True, the U.S. market received the bulk of 4G64's. uses the engine in the Delica Space Gear (L300) series of vans , the Chariot Grandis (Space Wagon, Nimbus...), and a few others globally. The Magna/Verada hasn't had a 4G64 for several years now.
It would be great if developed a brand new engine block family, but I question the cost effectiveness for devlopment. Especially given the upcoming new global engine. I'm probably gonna end up eating my words...

Quick Reply: Idea: Put together a petition for a 2.4 (4g64)motor