Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine sputtering when fueling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine sputtering when fueling

I'm a rebel so I don't shut my engine off when fueling. When fueling my 05 MR the engine sputters a bit due to the loss of vacuum in the fuel system and I never noticed this in any of my other cars.
The question is -for you brainy EVO Techs out there- am I doing any sort of damage in the long term that I'm not aware of by continuing this way?
Thanks for your input up front and happy motoring !
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:16 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Oh dear... Turn the car off, it's that simple. Running the car with the cap off should give you a check engine light, I'm surprised it hasn't come on yet.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
Oh dear... Turn the car off, it's that simple. Running the car with the cap off should give you a check engine light, I'm surprised it hasn't come on yet.
+1
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Just turn off the car. Its sputtering for a reason. Happens to me when the turbo timer is on. I just pull the Ebrakes
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Why not just shut it off...besides, you'll be saving like one gallon every 5 years if you do, and your car wont explode in your face when you get astatic electricity shock!...J/k btw
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:55 AM

Why do you keep it running?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolutionX
Why do you keep it running?
Just never thoght it that important to shut the car off for 3 min.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Are you that bored that you have to start a thread about nothing!
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoland
Are you that bored that you have to start a thread about nothing!
There is a valid question there did you read it, I'm sure I'm not the only person that fuels the car up with out shutting it off ...or am I ?

And Yes, I am a little bored today!
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:09 AM

Thumbs down You Are A Moron

This is one of the most ridiculously idiotic threads I've ever wasted my time reading.

Good luck blowing yourself up.

Did you ever stop to consider that sometimes there are legitimate reasons why you are asked to do certain things? Like shut off your car when you fuel up. Or why you don't talk on a cell phone while fueling up. Think about that, and think about the people next to you at the gas station next time, the people who shut off their cars because they don't feel like getting blown up.

But, if you're too lazy or in too much of a hurry to turn off your car while you're fueling up, I bet you wouldn't stop to think about those things, would you?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

I guess you never caught the episode about the fueling-up / cellphone fallacy on the Mythbusters

Originally Posted by Androoos
This is one of the most ridiculously idiotic threads I've ever wasted my time reading.

Good luck blowing yourself up.

Did you ever stop to consider that sometimes there are legitimate reasons why you are asked to do certain things? Like shut off your car when you fuel up. Or why you don't talk on a cell phone while fueling up. Think about that, and think about the people next to you at the gas station next time, the people who shut off their cars because they don't feel like getting blown up.

But, if you're too lazy or in too much of a hurry to turn off your car while you're fueling up, I bet you wouldn't stop to think about those things, would you?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

There is a valid question there did you read it, I'm sure I'm not the only person that fuels the car up with out shutting it off ...or am I ?
yes, you are. It makes no sense at all to fuel your car with the engine running, when there's a disclaimer on every gas pump i've ever seen telling you to shut your engine off while you're feuling. I'm sure they tell you to turn your engine off for a reason.

I guess you never caught the episode about the fueling-up / cellphone fallacy on the Mythbusters

apparently you also missed the disclaimer at the beginning of that show that basically tells you not to test their theories in real life, because not everyone is right 100% of the time.

Last edited by Evoandy; Mar 6, 2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

OK, OK all ...I'm convinced and conformed. From now on I'll just shut it down, really!. I had no idea people would get so emotional/ vocal about fueling a car while it's running. QUESTION RETRACTED!

Originally Posted by Evoandy
yes, you are. It makes no sense at all to fuel your car with the engine running, when there's a disclaimer on every gas pump i've ever seen telling you to shut your engine off while you're feuling. I'm sure they tell you to turn your engine off for a reason.

apparently you also missed the disclaimer at the beginning of that show that basically tells you not to test their theories in real life, because not everyone is right 100% of the time.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:26 AM

You are still a MORON

Originally Posted by TPetsch
But did they try leaving the car on while fueling? And did they try leaving a car on that sputtered while fueling?

You go ahead and believe what you see on TV. If your car is sputtering, then that might be an indication to SHUT IT OFF. And there are numerous threads on here about people whose cars have backfired and shot a flame out of the exhaust. Just wait for that to happen, especially when it's sputtering, and wait for some guy who pulled in before you to overfill his tank and spill some gas on the ground. Fire. Shortly after, a big Boom.

Those stickers wouldn't be on the pumps if there was never any danger of an explosion. That kind of stuff isn't just dreamed up to simply inconvenience society.

I would never, ever do something that would endanger anyone other than myself, and what you're doing endangers others. And trying to justify what you do is, no matter what, a wasted effort. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:27 AM

I get emotional when I read about someone who endangers other people because they are lazy or in a hurry. Slow down. Enjoy life. Get a buzz from the gas fumes. Something. Just don't put other people in danger who don't deserve to be.

Glad to hear you'll plan on reforming your refueling practices.

Quick Reply: Engine sputtering when fueling