Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi warranty: which mods will void it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi warranty: which mods will void it?

What's up guys.... I don't own an Evo yet, but I'm looking to buy within the next couple months. I went to look at some Evos on Monday and while there, I asked the service manager if just adding an intake and exhaust would void the warranty. He told me it would absolutely void it "because this car is very sensitive to any kind of modification and they don't know how it would affect the engine." This seemed like a canned response to me.

I was under the impression, just telling by other owner's posts, that aftermarket exhausts and intakes were okay with Mitsubishi... but I guess it's up to the individual dealer? Anyone in the Baltimore area have success getting warranty service here with slight modifications like this? Btw, I was at JBA Mitsubishi on Monday.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Hank
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:37 AM

I've read some pretty messed up stories about Dealership's voiding warrenty's for something as minor as a boost guage. I would think that it's up to the dealer. If you come in with burned clutch too soon, they'll say you were ridding it/ doing 5k rpm launches or whatever. Theyll make something up so they won't have to fix it.. Again, this is all what I heard... I live around the Baltimore/DC area too, I went to JBA too, they let me test drive but other than that didn't treat me very well. Too many games. Good luck with whatever you decide to do though. Evo's a very fun car.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:49 AM

Your warranty will be voided with any MOD! But dont let that keep you from getting one, it's a blast of a car!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 08:12 AM

It's just a shame that you're voiding 100K miles worth of service if something goes wrong. Hey, I'm all for modding -- my Mazda has a j-spec engine now with lots of other modifications, but it's also an older car. I know some will say that that's the price you pay when you mod a new car, but I might have to be part of the "keep it stock club" for a while.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NAICHE
Your warranty will be voided with any MOD!
This is incorrect, please stop with the sensationalism.

Anyway, Evo_hopeful, you are right. The amount of 'allowance' they give you before refusing warranty work varies from dealer to dealer. If you search the forum you'll find some fairly exhaustive discussions on the subject.

d
Old Mar 10, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

the ones you don't take off before you take it in will void it
Old Mar 10, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

I would just find a dealer that's ok with mods. But if they can prove your mod messed up what's wrong with your car then your screwed. Like if you bolt up a cat back and all of a sudden your headlights stop working your ok becasue no way can a cat-back mess up your headlights. It's really that simple. If yuo install a clutch and your rim breaks your also ok. Now say you get a 2nd gear grind and your tranny needs to be replaced you better expect to pay for it.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

a k&n drop in air filter may void your warranty
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah my response was gonna be... All of 'em. Mine is completely stock (except for the K&N) and I had a misfire code recently, and I even put the paper stock one back in just in case. And that warranty (along with shortage of cash) is the major reason I haven't done any modding yet. I was almost happy when that CEL came on and I knew I had nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Void your warranty? It depends on the mod of course. An intake and exhaust, will void anything to do with your engine but it will not void your warranty on your power windows or radio or A/C. But don't let that stop you from getting the best out of these awesome machines.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses! I will be checking out other dealers in the area to get their take on it too. Can't wait to get my Evo!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Air fresheners, noncomplient winshield washer fluids, and any removal of dealer sticker or license plate frames.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

One jackass dealer where i bought an oil filter from; tried to tell me that if i change my own oil the warranty will be void.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

one thing about modding new cars that i have learned is keep your stock parts always because if you need to you can always put your stock part back on
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by k.lowe
one thing about modding new cars that i have learned is keep your stock parts always because if you need to you can always put your stock part back on
That's what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi warranty: which mods will void it?