Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Were to get cruise control??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were to get cruise control??

A friend of mine bought an 05 white MR and loves it to death, but on long trips to gigs w/ the band he has to drive sometimes 3-4 hours straight..He was wondering if there were any good companies out there that makes an electrically operated cruise contorl unit... This is the only complaint he has about the car b/c his leg falls asleep when driving that far b/c he can't move his foot...

And yes I tried to search and all I got was ever thread w/ the word cruise in it, so I did find alot of cruise hang outs in other states but nothing about cuise control...

Thanks!!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

There are some threads about cruise controll. No "answers" just a lot of try here try there stuff. Volunteer and I tried a local car shop and the controll module (brain) was to big to fit anywhere under the hood. We would have had to take the strut brace off to add cruise. Forget that!

I tried going to Rostra directly, they are a cruise contoll manufacturer to the big 3. They have some "universal" models that I asked about. When I asked if I would need a clutch disengage switch they just stopped responding to me. Like I was asking too many questions before chopping up a $35,000 car. IMHO they are some useless a$s holes!

I drive Louisiana to Michigan and I have done so without cruise everytime. I don't like it but I am NOT Jigga Rigga'ing anything in my car.

Good luck with your search...
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the response....I might try a few shops around here....

I remeber a guy posted that he had cruise added but he never would say were or who installed it....

Anyone else???
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the really nice Lancer has it right?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nabit
A friend of mine bought an 05 white MR and loves it to death, but on long trips to gigs w/ the band he has to drive sometimes 3-4 hours straight..He was wondering if there were any good companies out there that makes an electrically operated cruise contorl unit... This is the only complaint he has about the car b/c his leg falls asleep when driving that far b/c he can't move his foot...

And yes I tried to search and all I got was ever thread w/ the word cruise in it, so I did find alot of cruise hang outs in other states but nothing about cuise control...

Thanks!!
STi
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

The company that makes most of the aftermarket cruise controls is Rostra. I had mine done at a local car audio installer for around $300. Works great, though the controls are a bit ugly.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
don't regular lancers come with cruise control? is there a way to adapt that unit to the evo?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ultraflip
don't regular lancers come with cruise control? is there a way to adapt that unit to the evo?
No. Basically the throttle cables are totally different and factory cruise controls run off of vacuum which is a pain to deal with after the fact. There also may be some ECU software involved in the factory cruise. Since no Evos have cruise anywhere in the world, I doubt our ECU's are set up to handle it. Aftermarket cruise controls are electric for ease of installation.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
STi
he test drove an sti and didn't like..walked next door and bought an MR.....
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nsnguyen
The company that makes most of the aftermarket cruise controls is Rostra. I had mine done at a local car audio installer for around $300. Works great, though the controls are a bit ugly.
So it works like if it was factory???As in it doesn't kick off going up hill or go over the set speed when it gives more gas going up hills???

Can you take a pic of the controls for me??

Thanks!!!!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nabit
he test drove an sti and didn't like..walked next door and bought an MR.....
i don't blame him, but he shoulda bought it if cruise is that bigga deal.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

I'm wondering if the Evolution GT-A models have cruise controls??

I'm doubting it... but maybe you can ask around about it. Or the japanese site might have option listings somewhere to show if it has it or not. I've seen pics of a member here who has an Evo GT-A in Malaysia or Thailand, but not sure of their nickname.

For sure a cruise control would have been a "nice" little option to have on the Evo... you can drive it hard most the time... but having the cruise option would have been nice for those other times.

Last edited by rsboy; Mar 22, 2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

I think I read in the brochure that the GT-A doesn't even have cruise. It's not a popular option in japan or europe since they aren't driving the long distances that we are. They have clean, cheap trains over there...
Old Mar 23, 2005, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

I don't see mitsu putting cruise on any EVO's. Too many problems to get the car to hold speed up a hill and not spazz out when it tops the hill and buck trying to let off and coast. I think it would just be a ***** in the armor (no pun intended).
Old Mar 23, 2005, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Mine works perfectly over hills actually. Being in overdrive makes it hard to spazz out.

Quick Reply: Were to get cruise control??