Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AHHHH i want to install!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so has anyone done thier cams and gears with the zip tie method? is it decently do able to not mess up the timing? i really want to do it and am pretty mechanically skilled just dont want to mess up the timing...

evoisdream
Old Apr 18, 2005, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What cam setup did you go with?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

I've done a couple using that method, and it's not too bad at all. I'd say if you're fairly competant mechanically you'll be just fine. Take your time!

Good luck! Make sure you have all the tools you need before you start.

Originally Posted by Evoisdream
so has anyone done thier cams and gears with the zip tie method? is it decently do able to not mess up the timing? i really want to do it and am pretty mechanically skilled just dont want to mess up the timing...

evoisdream
Old Apr 18, 2005, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

i did my own cams...i messed up the timing at first because we didnt use enough zip ties and the belt must have slipped a tooth or so. It was a pain, but i had to re-time the car. Its not HARD but just a biatch. You have to line the TDC marks on your new cam gears (when installed) with the TDC marks on your valve cover. Then make sure the TDC mark on your pulley below matches with the mark on the side of the engine...you can avoid all this if you make sure you have a sufficient amount of zip ties holding down that belt. good luck!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

i have the 272/272 hks i thim im gonna give it a shot this weekend the cam part actually seems easy but then putting the new gears on without messing up timing is wats worrying me
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

its easy dont sweat it...just make sure you have a friend helping you (you will need it!!)

the cam gears are easy...just make sure you have a marker handy to mark the belt where the TDC mark is on stock gears
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Dude...I can relate!
Originally Posted by Evoisdream
no fun at all after this i am doing my clutch wheels tint and a gt30R and i want it all NOW!!!! hahaha
Old Apr 18, 2005, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, I'm kinda suprized on how many people cant work on their own cars. Not flaming anyone, just kinda suprized. The benefits of working on your own car are two-fold. You learn, you bond, you get it cheaper, you know it's done right.

If anybody is in the Central Florida area and needs work done, hit me up, I'll more than happy to teach. $1,000+ for installations is insane...
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

i know how you feel with just parts laying around. I got Hotchkis springs, HKS 272's, headstuds, HKS SSQ with upper ic pipe and Apexi intake and aluminum box still not installed yet Also extra ecu for flash.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

If you guys get too depressed.. please feel free to send the parts to me
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
On the cam install using a paint pen to markt the point on the belt were your 0 degree point on the gear should line up along with the zip ties makes life easier and pretty much idiot proof.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

i have installed everysingle thing on my car and after these few things i have every bolt on possible i beleave lol i just dont want to ruin the engine i can work on my car and have
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Check out www.evomoto.com .....pretty good installation guide right there. I know exactly how u feel bro.....im afraid of doing my own install for fear of ruining my engine, but everyone keeps telling me how easy it is. Ive got a buddy who is tech at MB, so if i decide to do my own install, ill definitely hit him up for help. Good luck man and let me know how the install goes!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

yeah this install is mine the one i was telling u about was my best friends same exact thing
mine was supposed to b done o well i think im going for it on fri
Old Apr 18, 2005, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rlazer5000
Check out www.evomoto.com .....pretty good installation guide right there. I know exactly how u feel bro.....im afraid of doing my own install for fear of ruining my engine, but everyone keeps telling me how easy it is. Ive got a buddy who is tech at MB, so if i decide to do my own install, ill definitely hit him up for help. Good luck man and let me know how the install goes!

yea those are the instructions i used to put my 272's in.... its not hard just mark the gears or zip tie em down amd make sure you're TDC..and you won't have any issues. i think the only thing that on my car i didn't put in was my clutch... everything else was waaayy easy.

Quick Reply: AHHHH i want to install!!!