Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

gains with turboback exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBE gives you the most WHP for the the money.......
Old May 3, 2005, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Read through buschur racings threads he tested 3in tbe vs 2.5 etc and found that there arent any loss in power only a gain on a tuned car of course
Old May 3, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fred
rogerbslee:

I few weeks ago I got Al's dynoflash, I asked for the one that holds boost to redline. At that time I asked for only a K@N filter and a Buscher 3'' TBE. The car felt great after the reflash alone. After I got the TBE with a high flow cat and the magnaflow, the car feels ever faster. As far dealing with low-end torque, I have to disagree. I feel my car has never been stronger. I can make my rear wheels step out with a lot less effort now. I have no dyno to prove my point, however I don't think you are going to be disappointed.

Take care,
Sounds like what i wanted to hear. Looks like a TBE might be unavoidable!
Old May 3, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerbslee
Oh dear I'm getting some conflicting replies. Do I lose torque low down or don't I.?Could anyone who has had a TBE installed comment on before vs after impressions or post a dynosheet.
As far as reflashing before or after TBE Al (Dynoflash) says no need for a second reflash with just an exhaust mod.
Don't listen to all the bullcrap replies, YOU WON'T LOSE ANY LOW END TORQUE! period ... this is not a na vehicle but a turbo charged vehicle. You will see increases all through out the HP/Torque graph. Why? because less back pressure means your turbo spools up faster at lower rpms which means you are making more torque/HP at those rpms than you used to .... don't believe me? look up some magazines and websites that have posted before and after TBE install dyno graphs...
Old May 3, 2005, 03:14 PM

Looks like opinion is divided about 50:50 on the low end torque question so far....
Old May 3, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Don't listen to all the bullcrap replies, YOU WON'T LOSE ANY LOW END TORQUE! period ... this is not a na vehicle but a turbo charged vehicle. You will see increases all through out the HP/Torque graph. Why? because less back pressure means your turbo spools up faster at lower rpms which means you are making more torque/HP at those rpms than you used to .... don't believe me? look up some magazines and websites that have posted before and after TBE install dyno graphs...
agreed. people who claimed to lose low end need to throw back the stocker. amazing difference in power. YOU WILL NOT LOSE ANY POWER WITH A TB

people who doubt need to swap and prove me wrong
Old May 3, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Low end torque is only lost when the turbo is not spooling( a granny might notice the diff.)because their is barely any backpressure while the turbo is not spooling,which is before 3,000 rpms or whatever,but who cares, once your on the turbo its nothing but gains. Yes like everyone else said, it makes the turbo spool faster. I dont see any negative things about a tbe. Forget someone even mentioned it, its nothing to worry about.
Old May 3, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Offboost below 2500 you may loose a slight amount of power where the turbo can't spool as fast, but anywhere else and you will see an increase of torque as soon as you have more than a few pounds of boost going. These are turbo cars so worrying about low end torque at RPM's that your turbo isn't effective is wasted effort. Perhaps it would be funny to dyno our cars with a siezed turbo and test a stock exhaust versus a 3" exhaust off boost...

stock ~ 130 whp @ 6000 / 130 torque @ 3500

versus

3" ~ 140 whp @ 6500 / 120 torque @ 4000

or something scary like that!

(Note: This should not be attempted at home or anywhere else.)

Last edited by Hiboost; May 3, 2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what you'll notice is a bit more lag, and bit slower spool. But when it hits, it'll hit hard as hell, from then, you wont loose any power.

whp hits and drops then torque replaces the hp.
Old May 4, 2005, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

I highly doubt there will be slower spool to full boost... try testing what RPM your car reaches full boost starting at 2500 RPM's in 3rd, 4th and 5th before and after. If anything your spool times will get better from stock since the turbo cars spool faster the more free flowing the exhaust is. I'm sure a vendor has a dyno sheet around here somewhere with dyno graphs overlayed showing this. My Buschur 3" TBE just arrived so I'll post the results after my install.
Old May 4, 2005, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sexynuts(.)(.)
You will lose some low end torque due to the back-pressure loss but you will free up a lot more high end power. If you were thinking about getting a TBE you should have gotten the flash after!
Where did you get this idea (about the lost of low end torque) from?
Old May 4, 2005, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

You will not lose any hp or tq with a TBE.
Old May 4, 2005, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

I think he means is that the current ratio of whp / torque will not be the same. You will have gains in both ...incredible gains actually....just won't be the same split...
Old May 5, 2005, 03:24 PM

so are we all still undecided about getting a re-tune after installing a turboback exhaust? How bout just a straight forward answer for the guy... as well as me . how bout, yes we do, or, no we dont.
Old May 5, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

More exhaust flow from a turbo back exhaust along with greater intake flow from an air filter will easily be accounted for by the ecu but you won't see the gains as much as a tuned car. If you can't afford another flash or AFC2 then doing the basics should be safe, just not optimal. One thing to avoid is running too much boost so a good manual boost controller along with a reliable gauge will allow you to make sure you are only running 19 or 20 PSI to redline. By not tuning you will just not have the best performance possible as the car will still run rich from the factory or in the original posters case the exhaust will flow more but likely won't alter things enough to require a reflash.

Last edited by Hiboost; May 5, 2005 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: gains with turboback exhaust