Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just test drove an '05 EVO 8 and...

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't talk trade the cobra!

I traded an STI for my '03 EVO with no regrets.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

haha, i'm glad you single handedly discovered something what thousands in the US found out since 2003.

welcome to the world of mitsubishi
Old May 11, 2005, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice post , hello and welcome
Old May 11, 2005, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome
Old May 11, 2005, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Freakin Newb, your gonna crash if you mod that!

All kidding aside, when you first start to test the handling department of the Evo you will want to leave some saftey margin between you and the curbs until you get used to how it reacts. The evo has Front limited slip now in addition to rear and if you over drive the car entering a turn you will get some understeer with body roll... once the car flattens out the car will "hook up" and rocket off wherever your steering wheel is pointed. To counter this many owners opt for anti-roll bars and even stiffer coilover springs that neutralize the car's handling quite a bit allowing you to drift more evenly through the turns. This is another reason they recommend the 500 mile break in period as this allows the driver to get used to the car as well. Hope to see you in an Evo sooner than later.
Old May 11, 2005, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

I wonder if the guy that delivered my car trashed on mine before he dropped it off.

Anyway, I'm always glad to see people convert to the Evo side.
Old May 11, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

I qouted you in my sig if you don't mind? Well the Cobra is a great car too, the two cars are just very different though. As far as racing, the EVO just has so many different possiblities that the Cobra owner just couldn't imagine. The Cobra is a 6 Inch Knife, while the EVO is a Swiss Army Knife.
Old May 11, 2005, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MIevo8MR
I wonder if the guy that delivered my car trashed on mine before he dropped it off.

Anyway, I'm always glad to see people convert to the Evo side.
I know mine was beat on like a 2 dollar *****. The car had about 100 miles on the clock when I bought it, and had been sitting on the lot for over a year. I did the recomended break-in procedure for the rest of the 500 miles, but I am still burning oil.
Old May 11, 2005, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

its a wonderful car but i'd recomend you don't buy the one you drove just because of the beating you gave it durring its break in period. its there own fault for not going "HEY NOW!!!" when you revved up at the light. these cars feel amazing in turns though. you'll love it.
Old May 11, 2005, 06:53 AM

It show why dealer would not let anyone test drive the EVO except those are serious to buy
Old May 11, 2005, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

GET THE EVO!!! 'nuff said...
Old May 11, 2005, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO1320
It show why dealer would not let anyone test drive the EVO except those are serious to buy
The testdrive deal is sort of a double edged sword. On one hand, almost everybody in here would not buy a car without a test drive. But what do we do when we test drive the car? Test it out.

For instance when somebody comes on here and says "Wow, I test drove an evo today and it takes off like a rocketship" or "the car pulls to redline faster than anything I've ever driven before!!!!" we get mad at them for raggin out the car, when we probably did the same thing on the test drive. I am not saying this applies to everyone, but people in general are quick to jump on others for their actions, but will not take some responsibility when they do the same thing. I know on the test drive I got on mine somewhat. It was only after I bought it that I did the brake-in.

Demo's are a great idea, but the evo is not exactly a dime a dozen lancer so that will be hard to do. Its just the nature of the beast when buying an evo.

Last edited by JohnnyPaycheck; May 11, 2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old May 11, 2005, 11:19 AM

Mitsubishi didn't let me test drive the car when I went there but seriously if they did, I would've bought it. They just didn't think I was serious and now when I test drove the cobra I ended up getting that instead. Instead they had a sales rep "drive it" so I could get a feel, and he brought it to redline anyway! Lol... I just didn't get a chance to drive it at that time though it would've been different. It's different from riding in the car and having complete control of it by driving it.

If I were going at like 40-60mph and I just turn the wheel all the way to the right or left I would just drift in the turn, like there's no way that this car could flip over? If so that is very impressive.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

One thing I noticed about the car that I wasn't sure of though - when I was in 2nd gear going about 40 or so I floored it and didn't feel it pull so fast.

If you are in 2nd gear cruising at 40mph then you are probably around 6000 rpm already and close to redline.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

40mph is close to redline in 2nd? WTF, since when? 55mph is close to redline in 2nd, 40 is just about what mine does in 1st... Anyway, the reason it felt that way is cuz you're used to the Mustang, the Evo doesn't haul much from a roll stock... mod up to cams... and it's a whole 'nother story

And Johnny, try Redline 5w-30 fully synthetic, it's more expensive, but mine hasn't burned a single mm of oil off of that dipstick... unless you still have a warranty, then you might wanna keep using mobil 1

And to the starter of the thread: Buy the Evo, if not for anything else than stomping ALL those *** holes from the Mustang forums at a road track .

Quick Reply: Just test drove an '05 EVO 8 and...