Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cop pulled me and made me pop the hood

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry the cop was asking you stupid questions. cuz there IS a difference between doing one's job and being an ***. I've had cops ask me random questions like that, and I was slightly annoyed too. One cop had me step out of my car (expired registration only), then asked if I smoked cigarettes. I was like, huh??? I said yes (confused) and he's like "oh, cuz I saw a lighter in your car but no cigarettes. Are they in your backpack or something?" Then he just stared at me like I was about to fess up to smoking crack. haha i was like, yes they are as a matter of fact. After that he was actually pretty nice to me though. haha still kind of annoying.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Im up in Simi a couple days a week......I've been followed a couple of times but havn't been pulled over yet. The Evo just kind of sticks out even though there are plenty of ricers to keep the cops busy.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:38 PM

Have you been arrested before? question.

What *is* that about, anyway? First, having been arrested is (by definition) no crime, you can be arrested for a variety of reasons, none of which make you a criminal. Second, they are pulling up your record when they run your driver's license anyway. Third, it's none of their business. Is it just to have a check on whether you're lying or not?

Any law enforcement officers out there have a take on this? It seems about as silly as the new fad of the waiter in a restaurant asking if you've eaten there before.

KeS

(No, I've never been arrested - but that's what I'd say in any case!)
Old Jun 5, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I guess your right, I guess i Was just a bit annoyed about the whole thing, and I may be overreacting to the Race thing........but still annoying and thanks for all the feedback......thats why I love the forums great way to shot the SH%! and feel better about some stupid ars cops just doing there Job....

Originally Posted by Steiner
This kinda stuff happens to white guys all the time too dude. When I had my '66 Barracuda in high school I would get pulled over at least once a month for random stuff. I think it has more to do with your age and naturally how much attention your car attracts. Remember you have a loud a$$ exhaust and a giant fricken hang glider sitting on your trunk.

You manned-up and admitted that you deserved to be pulled over for the plates, so why basically call the cop a racist? Sounds like your car's a goldmine of potential citations. Had you been driving the speed limit in a Buick Park Avenue when this happened you might have to wonder about the cop, but calling a guy doing his job a racist, even though he basically let you off easy, is pretty steep you know?
I work in Marina Del rey and Culver City, so thanks for the heads up........

Originally Posted by EVO_JOE
Oh yea careful of parking on Sunet or Melrose without a front license plant. Those damn meter cops will always give you a ticket. I've gotten 4 so far. And even if you put it back on and go to the DMV you still have to pay $10.

Also, LAPD in most case will not waste there time writing fix it tickets (Except Bike cops, those guys love to give tickets). But Suberb cops will always try to give you a ticket. Watch out for Culver City cops (there F**king D**ks).

Last thing I've learned while living in LA is Highway Patrol will always give you a Ticket (ALWAYS!!!). The best thing to do if you get pulled over by CHP is never admit guilt and act dumb. Take or ticket like a man then fight it out in court. (I've gotten 3 for speeding in the past 2 years in my Evo, all CHP).
Old Jun 5, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RaceBiscuit
Sorry the cop was asking you stupid questions. cuz there IS a difference between doing one's job and being an ***. I've had cops ask me random questions like that, and I was slightly annoyed too. One cop had me step out of my car (expired registration only), then asked if I smoked cigarettes. I was like, huh??? I said yes (confused) and he's like "oh, cuz I saw a lighter in your car but no cigarettes. Are they in your backpack or something?" Then he just stared at me like I was about to fess up to smoking crack. haha i was like, yes they are as a matter of fact. After that he was actually pretty nice to me though. haha still kind of annoying.
yeah thats pretty lame......like why these guys got to assume shirt.... ;D
Old Jun 5, 2005, 07:44 AM

well u was lucky

Originally Posted by mr0072003
Yep.....Got harassed yesterday and got a fix it ticket. (Totally deserved BTY)....it was for having those smoked License plate covers. This was the second time I got pulled for them, but the first time I got pulled for them was IN Marina Del Rey (LA COPS)...and he just let me go with a warning.....but FN Simi Valley Cops, it was a whole different ball game.......I get pulled and the asked for my REG, LICENSE and Insurance (all which I had).....then he tells me why I get pulled over, and give him the reason why " show car, it matched the look" then tells me I don’t have a front one.....(totally illegal, and legit to get harassed for).....and I tell him I just never got one after It fell of on the FWY..........then after me being polite and honest...with three kids in the back....asks if I have ever been arrested for anything before.....(LA COP NEVER ASKED).......I say no...then ask what was the last thing I have been pulled over for LA COP NEVER ASKED).......I was like "speeding in my GF Scion Tc"......then he says ok......walks back to his car and starts running my name and writing me a ticket....(at this point I was not sure for what, *** I have a HKS Hi Power exhaust, so I have to be cool).......comes back and asks me to POP the hood....I hesitate and ask "May ask why" and he says " Cuz I want to see what you got under there, you don’t have anything Illegal in there do you? Its all SMOG legal right....?" I smirked and said, "No, but can you hold the hood up while I POP it!" (I have a CF hood and needs to be pulled on to open).....I could tell that annoyed him, but he asked :wink: . So I open it, and he looks.....and I could tell he had no idea what he was looking at, cuz I had a BOV, IC piping, INTAKE...and he said ok thats good.......FN *******.......so I get back in the car and gives me the Fix it ticket for the plate and the covers......but thank GOD no exhaust ticket........but had I been an ******* to him or gave him any lip.....believe me he would have nailed me for a lot worse........I am just annoyed that he asked my if I have been arrested before and what was my last ticket.....the LA cop near asked those questions, (basically not making me feel like a criminal vs. a person with an infraction on his vehicle)...but that’s what happens when your an obvious person of ethnicity, and live in Suburbia hell.....then I asked for it.........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....ok I feel better now, thanks for reading... :x
hahaha u where lucky there but i think all evo drivers will enjoy coming to KSA where i am now evo and supra owners they get thier car licence issued and it has the word sport car on it and no matter what the **** u have in there they will never say a thing as long as ur licence says sport car :-)))))
Old Jun 5, 2005, 08:06 AM

I blame the hugetastic spoiler for half of all Evo tickets
Old Jun 5, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

ive also been given the 20 questions game when pulled over once. i still got a ticket (deserved) and he added one on top of the speeding . so i feel its 50/50 out their. lots of cops are dicks and lots are just doing the job. the age thing is a huge part of it. for both people invovled. younger cops are the worst by far. they have the young buck attitude(lots to prove). just got to roll with it man. good luck anyway.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Yep.....Got harassed yesterday and got a fix it ticket. (Totally deserved BTY)....it was for having those smoked License plate covers. This was the second time I got pulled for them, but the first time I got pulled for them was IN Marina Del Rey (LA COPS)...and he just let me go with a warning.....but FN Simi Valley Cops, it was a whole different ball game.......I get pulled and the asked for my REG, LICENSE and Insurance (all which I had).....then he tells me why I get pulled over, and give him the reason why " show car, it matched the look" then tells me I don’t have a front one.....(totally illegal, and legit to get harassed for).....and I tell him I just never got one after It fell of on the FWY..........then after me being polite and honest...with three kids in the back....asks if I have ever been arrested for anything before.....(LA COP NEVER ASKED).......I say no...then ask what was the last thing I have been pulled over for LA COP NEVER ASKED).......I was like "speeding in my GF Scion Tc"......then he says ok......walks back to his car and starts running my name and writing me a ticket....(at this point I was not sure for what, *** I have a HKS Hi Power exhaust, so I have to be cool).......comes back and asks me to POP the hood....I hesitate and ask "May ask why" and he says " Cuz I want to see what you got under there, you don’t have anything Illegal in there do you? Its all SMOG legal right....?" I smirked and said, "No, but can you hold the hood up while I POP it!" (I have a CF hood and needs to be pulled on to open).....I could tell that annoyed him, but he asked :wink: . So I open it, and he looks.....and I could tell he had no idea what he was looking at, cuz I had a BOV, IC piping, INTAKE...and he said ok thats good.......FN *******.......so I get back in the car and gives me the Fix it ticket for the plate and the covers......but thank GOD no exhaust ticket........but had I been an ******* to him or gave him any lip.....believe me he would have nailed me for a lot worse........I am just annoyed that he asked my if I have been arrested before and what was my last ticket.....the LA cop near asked those questions, (basically not making me feel like a criminal vs. a person with an infraction on his vehicle)...but that’s what happens when your an obvious person of ethnicity, and live in Suburbia hell.....then I asked for it.........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....ok I feel better now, thanks for reading... :x
Heh, i live in Marina del Rey and i never had a cop even look in my direction. The only times i've been harassed is when i'm in the areas heavily populated by asians (Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights, Monterey Park, etc...)
Old Jun 5, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Lucky for us here in NC you only get one license plate from the DMV! It's not even optional, we don't have front plates...thank God!
But yes, anything that detracts from the visibility of the plate is illegal, smoked plate covers, or those clear stealth covers, and now the sprays...(they don't want plates disguised from those red-light cams.)
Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

I think that is what bugs the cops about the covers.....they think you are trying to decieve those lights (even though I got popped by one), that is not why I got them...i just think they look hot on my EVO....o well looks like car shows only they get to go on....

Originally Posted by wheming
Lucky for us here in NC you only get one license plate from the DMV! It's not even optional, we don't have front plates...thank God!
But yes, anything that detracts from the visibility of the plate is illegal, smoked plate covers, or those clear stealth covers, and now the sprays...(they don't want plates disguised from those red-light cams.)
Old Jun 5, 2005, 01:22 PM

Speaking as someone who works with the Police, and has three steps left in becoming one, I'll add my two cents.

Not all cops are created equal. There are some that are Pr#$s, and some who go on power trips and thrive on harrassing people. There are lots of cops out there who aren't like that, and who will only burden you if you've done something stupid/illegal. Its those few out there that give you the "F@#$ the Police" mentality that ruin the profession. I totally understand your resentment if you trully have a bad experience with the Police. Inquiring about your criminal history or your vehicle does not seem like harrassment to me. Those are normal questions asked when you contact a subject you know nothing about. Is it a test to see if your honest? Sure. It may be just a way to engage you in conversation to "feel you out" If it feels like you're being treated like a criminal upon first contact, its souley for that officers protection. Officers are trained to approach everyone with caution until you can determine they don't poss harm to you or anyone around. They have no idea if you're Johny Ricer Crap who just stole that EVO, or the respectable Evolutionm member you are....(i hope)

If you feel harrassed then there isn't really anything I can say, but if you can see it from the officers side, maybe those bad contacts you have can be reduced to misunderstandings. Cops may seem like your enemies, but when you call 911 when someone's kicking down your front door, or trying to steal your EVO, they're the ones who show up and put thier neck on the line for you. For those who have had "trully" bad, undeserved experiences with the Police, I feel for you. There are those sour apples who often spoil the whole tree.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

Honesty bro, you could have not put it any better.....I REALLY appreciate your comments, as it was what I needed to help understand the situation a bit better. YOu are right when the SHIZNIT is going down.....beleieve it s the PO, that I think of first........and your right, when you put it in terms as you did, I guess your right, it was a combo of a Power hungry cop mixed with him protecting himself, wich I totally understand....... Thanks again for the feedback and I feel better now...

Originally Posted by jdnourse
Speaking as someone who works with the Police, and has three steps left in becoming one, I'll add my two cents.

Not all cops are created equal. There are some that are Pr#$s, and some who go on power trips and thrive on harrassing people. There are lots of cops out there who aren't like that, and who will only burden you if you've done something stupid/illegal. Its those few out there that give you the "F@#$ the Police" mentality that ruin the profession. I totally understand your resentment if you trully have a bad experience with the Police. Inquiring about your criminal history or your vehicle does not seem like harrassment to me. Those are normal questions asked when you contact a subject you know nothing about. Is it a test to see if your honest? Sure. It may be just a way to engage you in conversation to "feel you out" If it feels like you're being treated like a criminal upon first contact, its souley for that officers protection. Officers are trained to approach everyone with caution until you can determine they don't poss harm to you or anyone around. They have no idea if you're Johny Ricer Crap who just stole that EVO, or the respectable Evolutionm member you are....(i hope)

If you feel harrassed then there isn't really anything I can say, but if you can see it from the officers side, maybe those bad contacts you have can be reduced to misunderstandings. Cops may seem like your enemies, but when you call 911 when someone's kicking down your front door, or trying to steal your EVO, they're the ones who show up and put thier neck on the line for you. For those who have had "trully" bad, undeserved experiences with the Police, I feel for you. There are those sour apples who often spoil the whole tree.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I am just annoyed that he asked my if I have been arrested before and what was my last ticket.....the LA cop near asked those questions, (basically not making me feel like a criminal vs. a person with an infraction on his vehicle)...but that’s what happens when your an obvious person of ethnicity, and live in Suburbia hell.....then I asked for it.........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....ok I feel better now, thanks for reading... :x

WHAT??? I am so sick and tired of hearing he pulled me over because i was black, asain, etc. Grow the F up, or go back to your native land where you fit in. There are laws to be upheld where ever you live, if you don't like them, move.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 09:01 AM

I have'nt had a plate on the front of my last 4 cars ('96 GSX, '91 VR4. '03 GT-s, - all moded, '05 MR - soon to be moded) and have never been written up for it! How's that for luck?
RAW

Quick Reply: Cop pulled me and made me pop the hood