Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Loving my ROBISPEC setup...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on how much you value having the right person do the work and tune your suspension--it's an art and Robi knows how to make Evos handle great.

Here are the prices, installed:
  1. Espilir GT Springs ($400)
  2. Rear Sway-Bar ($250)
  3. Rear Bushings ($175)
  4. Rear Bump Steer Correction ($195)
  5. Roll Fenders to fit 275 tires ($300)
  6. Custom Alignment ($180)
Not sure of current prices, but a month or so ago he was throwing in the alignment for free if you got the fender rolling.

You don't think $400 for Espelir GT springs or $250 for a Progress 25 mm SB, parts and installation, are good prices? IMO it's a great price.

I didn't do the fender rolling but he installed a Buschur TBE w/HFC and Magnaflow for me: $830 installed.

My car now handles like a car with great coilovers and that setup would have cost me at least $2500 installed, without swaybar, bushings, bumpsteer and alignment.

This way I can upgrade to coilovers when my dampers wear out and I have the other stuff (swaybar, bushings, and bumpsteer) already done to get the most out of it.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless that swaybar is adjustable, I agree that there isn't any serious tuning involved. Just the alignment. $1200 is a lot for parts installation and alignment, unless that price is for his unique setup/kit/package. But if the car works well then maybe it is worth taking notice.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

The swaybar is adjustable and the thickest one available which is what it takes to dial out the evos understeer and give it the sweet predictable throttle-steer that my EVO has powering through my favorite canyon turns.

Doing the bushings and bumpsteer right takes experience and skill. That goes double for the alignment.

IMO the suspension is the place to start your mods and tuning it is far from bolting stuff on. You can spend your money on whatever you want and I see a lot of guys buying skinny weak swaybars that don't do the job or adding front bars that only make the understeer worse.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 01:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by kevo
Seriously, what's there to tune? It's all bolt on stuff besides the alignment.
Guess you have to pay top price for a tape measure and and a straightedge.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 02:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by lbcevo
The swaybar is adjustable and the thickest one available which is what it takes to dial out the evos understeer and give it the sweet predictable throttle-steer that my EVO has powering through my favorite canyon turns.

Doing the bushings and bumpsteer right takes experience and skill. That goes double for the alignment.

IMO the suspension is the place to start your mods and tuning it is far from bolting stuff on. You can spend your money on whatever you want and I see a lot of guys buying skinny weak swaybars that don't do the job or adding front bars that only make the understeer worse.
using a press to push in and out bushings takes skill?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
using a press to push in and out bushings takes skill?
bushings don't take skillz at all

robi seems to be the man around these parts.i haven't read one thing about his set ups being bad.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

lbcevo....cool to see you investing money into your car's performance rather than useless stuff. Robi is awesome..I talked to him for like an hour on the phone the other day and we're plannin out my Evo too, he really seems to be a no nonsense kind of guy. I think his work, and records he has and has helped other guys get speak for themselves. Let these other guys nickel and dime their stuff and go to whatever chop shop they can find. We'll go with the quality!

-CI
Old Jun 14, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kevo
Seriously, what's there to tune? It's all bolt on stuff besides the alignment.
I really hope your joking
Old Jun 14, 2005, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

No why? It's just a simple question. What is there to tune besides alignment? Can you answer the question? Form what I see from his list, there are no ride height or spring rates adjustments, no dampening or rebound adjustments, can't be corner weighted. Maybe try different diameter of ARB to fit his driving style? Alignment wise, there are a lot of good and accurate answer in the motorsport forum already and there aren't any hidden magic there neither. So whats left? Really, I'm just curious.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 06:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by lbcevo
Custom Alignment ($180)
$180 for an non-rack with tape measure alignment on stock struts without camber plates?

Am I missing something here?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, you might be. He has a laser system and his process results in a better alignment than 99.9% of guys with average skills can do on the latest Hunter. He's a great track driver and knows what to do.... Call him and let mim explain it himself, or better yet race him. I'm not trying to sell his stuff to anyone, just thanking him for making my EVO GSR handle great.

I'm heading out now to pull mega Gs in my sweet handling EVO...
Old Jun 14, 2005, 07:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
$180 for an non-rack with tape measure alignment on stock struts without camber plates?

Am I missing something here?
only about $4,000.00 in portable laser alignment tools. NOT ONE EVO that I have aligned (or realigned if you will) was aligned correctly. MOST ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE...I think there are a few peeps on this forum who have complained about tire wear..

http://www.advancedracing.com/produc...?prod=toegauge
http://www.advancedracing.com/products2.php?prod=string
http://www.advancedracing.com/produc...artcambergauge
and to prove the value of eliminating the rear bump steer I used this to evaluate the total bump steer and then tested the the correct offset for the excentric bushing location.

http://www.advancedracing.com/produc...bumpsteergauge

I can cornerweight a stock strut car but it's such a PITA that I charge more than most people would want to pay (just take the strut off and add the laser cut inserts I had made..your shop/garage doesn't have these? ....and repeat until you get it right). the truth is the stock EVO is so close that the average 2% differance across the front and back with usually less than 1% cross weight differance isnt worth the PITA to "make it perfect".

But I've only set-up 20 evos so I bet there is plenty I haven't seen yet...
(and although I'm an old dog, I CAN learn new tricks...lol)

As far as everything is bolt on you got me there...it's a basic system, one designed to optimize the basic handling of the car and to allow for future upgrades without having to junk the whole system and start over.
But a nice example of why people choose experts to help them and pay "more than they have/need to" . On Seinfeld the soup **** used the same ingrediants but had people willing to pay his prices, put up with his "tude" and stand in line...I have spent more time at the track than most (but by all means not all) and have been very focused on improving the handling of my car. Most modified EVOs at the EVOM shoot out had more power than mine (380 at the ground with a mean miss above 7000 rpm)... handling, weight distribution, the best suspension (DMS50's) and great TOYO tires kept my car one step ahead...I can hardly wait the new Bushur motor just put out 480 whp at 21 psi....see you at the track! (hopefully in my rear view mirror hehehehe).

robi
Old Jun 14, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

<-- Jason from Barstow......

I was wondering when you were gonna show up Robi!!! LOL
I'll be by your shop Saturday for a wheel rotate, balance, allignment. My steering wheel is still shaking like a *****!! LOL What time is good to come by Saturday? Home much money do I need to ask my wife for?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

What does he adjust the rear swaybar too? Do you guys think the springs and swaybar would be good enough to get rid of my bodyroll?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 09:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by robi
Most modified EVOs at the EVOM shoot out had more power than mine (380 at the ground with a mean miss above 7000 rpm)... handling, weight distribution, the best suspension (DMS50's) and great TOYO tires kept my car one step ahead...I can hardly wait the new Bushur motor just put out 480 whp at 21 psi....see you at the track! (hopefully in my rear view mirror hehehehe).

robi
Didn't Mueller and RRE work on your car then? I'm not trying to be an ***, just asking questions...

Quick Reply: Loving my ROBISPEC setup...