Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Profiling; Ticket BS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2005, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Profiling; Ticket BS

I just got home from the track and totally got screwed on my way back. I know cops love the highways here in St. Louis on a Friday night/Saturday morning so I take it easy on the way home with a friend following me. I see a cop on the side of the road but think nothing of it because I am with the flow of traffic and MAYBE 5 over the speed limit (60 in a 55). Next thing I know he is right behind me lights flashing. I pull over and he shines his light in my eyes and asks where I was coming from. Helmet in passenger seat so I tell him the truth, i was coming home from the track. He says "Well, it looks like your foot thinks you are still at the track!" Okay, so now I am sort of pissed because I know I wasn't going real fast. He continues to say that he clocked me at 73 in the 55. I just looked at him in disbelief and explained to him that i was with the flow of traffic and conscious of my speed and that it couldn't have been 73. He tells me I'm wrong takes my license and issurance and comes back with a ticket. I insist on him giving me the serial number and last calibration date for his radar. He says he doesn't know off the top of his head and i can call the courthouse to get that info. On the ticket it says "stationary radar" and he wrote down the make of the radar "KEE Kustom Golden Eagle." I definitely want to go to court for this because this profiling has to stop. ANY advice would be appreciated. I never admitted to speeding only going with the flow of traffic. I mean if he gave me a ticket for going 5 over, fine then I deserved that. But this is total BS. He picked me out of a group of cars at 3 in the morning and pulled me over with a BS 73 in a 55! Thanks, i will check back tomorrow and see what everyone thinks. The fine is $79 but I don't want this on my record. Never had a speeding ticket, perfect driving record 25 years old.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

That sucks man. I would be pissed too.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

You know you're legally allowed to see the gun that he clocked you with? Say, "May I please see this 73 mph on your equipment?" If he says no then he is hiding somthing and you will never get fined, likewise if the number isn't correct or there is no number.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

That sucks man. I would be pissed too.
yea me too.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow....even at 73 on a 55 is not that fast....almost all the cars here on the highway drives that fast with the same limit
Old Jun 18, 2005, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

That stinks, I had similar thing happen to me years ago. I was going 45 mph in a 40 mph zone in traffic doing absolutely nothing wrong. Cop pull me over (a whole line of cars pulled over infact) He singled me out (red sports car) and gave me a ticket for 56mph in 40mph, while he let everyone else go.

It cops like these that give cops a bad name. He should have congratulated you for racing on the track. It really helps to have clean record when going to court. I have a 'clean record' and have been to magistrate/court for 5 various tickets (only this one speeding) and won all of them, but the speeding was the hardest one. I have found that arguing with a cop especially when its obvious that you have no chance is counter productive (they are more likely to stick it to you when they write their report). Anyways its sucks, I wish you the best of luck.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 05:31 AM

Go to court...you got a 50/50 cop wont show up...easy out.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

I've calmed down a little but I am still very pissed about this. This cop was a total jerk. I was as nice as can be and he just wanted to give an evo a ticket. He had to of clocked someone else. I was in the middle lane and I know for sure that I wasn't going that fast because I saw him and looked down at my speedometer and that is why i didn't slam on the brakes thinking "it is only 5 over and I am in a group of cars, no big deal." HA, I guess I have learned my lesson. Court date is July 15. I will post what I find out and if I beat this crap. Thanks for any more help from anyone.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

what i would do is postpone your court date twice. i don't know what the laws are in st. louis but in md you can do this. just call the court house tell the clerk that you can't make it to the court date because you are going out of town or doing something like that. do this twice and it will significantly lessen the chance that the cop will show up. it has worked for me many times in the past. hope this helps

Jeff
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

with your clean record i would def. fight the ticket. good luck with this and let us know what happens.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Hi, I would like to offer some help.

First of all please join radardetector.net the site is very informative about radar / laser counter measures. But the main site admin is a retired cop with some great advice tell him your story. I'm not familiar enough with the radar gun used for your ticket but the site has tons of information and you can get the spec sheet on it from a member i'm sure.

Next I would like you to check out the National Motorists Association (NMA). http://www.motorists.org/

They can help you get in touch with lawyers that specialize with this sort of ticket. If you decide to join and trust me its worth it. Its 30 Dollars and you'll more than get your money's worth. As a member I am willing to help you out please send me a PM with the state the ticket was issued and I'll get you a phone number for someone you can get in touch with.

There is a wealth of information out there and I highly recommend you fight this to the fullest. I recently was profiled for having a clear licence plate protector on my car in MD and was issued a 55 dollar ticket along with being pulled over by 5 cop cars and having 7 officers walking all around my car! With the help from the NMA I not only defeated the ticket, I have now in the process of filing a harrassment lawsuit against the county. I am a very honest person had I been doing wrong I would of still fought but if I lost I would of accepted it.

In your case please fight this and I'll help all I can! Here are some things for you to remember and write down right now.

How many other cars where around you? You need to 100% sure of your exact speed. Any time you are in court and you use the words I THINK or I dont remember this is not good. Because the cop does remember and they are on his notes. Which I would like to add he is not allowed to use doing your entire trial. They are allowed to read them before the trial but once it starts they can not reference them anymore.

I would recommend for anyone who reads this and in the furture if you get pulled, never admit guilt ever. If they ask why you why you where pulled over just say. I dont know officer the last time I changed lane I used my signal. He will then say for speeding. Your counter measure to this is the flow of traffic dictates your speed because you feared that you would of been hit in the back. And felt more comfortable driving with the flow at a safe distance from the car infront of you. You, dont admint any guilt and give a logical reason for your speed!

Best of luck and if you need my help let me know!

staton
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninj0x
You know you're legally allowed to see the gun that he clocked you with? Say, "May I please see this 73 mph on your equipment?" If he says no then he is hiding somthing and you will never get fined, likewise if the number isn't correct or there is no number.
sorry son they dont have to show it to you my bro took a class and got to ask a state trooper every question in the book!

if they see a radar detector their more likly to give you a ticket, and most of the time the lawyer is more than the ticket. just forget about it and pay it.

Last edited by BlueBlurSTi; Jun 18, 2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 02:49 PM

He said you were doing 18 over the speed limit and its only a $79 ticket? Isnt that really cheap?

Anyway, just take it to court and hope he doesnt show up.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Fight it...always fight it...
Old Jun 18, 2005, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Yep, only 79 bucks, that is why I was curious if I should fight. I really want to because this sort of thing really angers me. I still feel like it is my word vs. his though. My friend was behind me and he also knows I wasn't going 73. Should I bring him into this? I guess my point is, if the cop really believes he clocked me 73 and I know he didn't, who is the judge going to believe?

Quick Reply: Profiling; Ticket BS