Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2006 "5000 RPM drag-launch rev limiter" removal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTKage
well excuse me for my ****ty 1.8 60' on a stock 05, but i really dont like abusing the car on launches that s all. some poeple at the track where i go to have a act street clutch and just need to launchthe car at 4500 to get a 1.7 60' times.

anyway u guys do whatever u want, but let s ee whose transmition and diffs last the longest.
Hah, sorry, I don't think he (or I) were saying YOU drove crappy, just that a 1.8 is not good for drag racing an Evo. Yeah, it's fine on a stock 05 using the 5k limiter...hell, I got a 1.92 on my first try as you can see in my sig, but the point is that if you're going to go through the trouble to pay for some test'n'tune, you might as well go all out. You only need a few runs with solid launches to get your best ET, and then you don't have to launch it anymore. YOu keep talking about transmissions and diffs, but you don't realize that we aren't talking about dumping. My launching method takes all the slack out of the drivetrain before launching, and I do not dump, so my tranny/diffs don't get killed.

The guys launching at 4500 on an ACT are slipping the hell out of it, because that things grabs with a vengeance and 4500 is way too low on a highly-boosted car. Letting the clutch out at 4500 will induce an immediate bog. Slipping it out a while will result in a 1.7x but with clutch burn.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ah everything is clear now , thx for clearing it out
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't see a clear answer to the 2005 question.

Find the clutch pedal.

Reach as far up towards the top as possible. (contort your body and head)

Feel around (cut your fingers)

Find the plug that is facing the fuse box (away from firewall)

Unplug it.

Launch the car above 5k

Mattj
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChicagoMike
Hi, I am an occasional lurker on this site. I actually almost bought an Evo 8 when they first came here, but Mitsu dealer wanted 3K markup, so I went across the street and bought a 2003 Cobra for $6000 less. Anyway, I am glad I didn't buy that 8 because the MR finally made it here!

I was reading in a recent magazine that the 2006 Evo has a 5000 RPM drag launch limiter to prevent drag-racing redline launches since Mitsubishi USA was getting stuck with a lot of warranty claims for transmission. Because of this, the magazine could not even get decent 0-60 times. Maybe it said 4000 RPM, don't quote me on the 5000 just yet, but I know in the review the guy was bummed out that he couldn't launch the thing with the limiter on it!

Has anyone else heard about the limiter, and if so does anyone have any ideas for removing it or that has removed it?

Mike
What magazine were you reading that had a test on the EVO IX?
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the 9 will still have the rev limiter
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
What magazine were you reading that had a test on the EVO IX?
I think it was Sport Compact Car or something like that - i have the copy in my room. I do remember reading something like that tho. They were testing the evo in japan and they did like 100 launches and mr. evo ( forget his real name - the japanese fellow ) said the clutch would be just fine. So mitsu can basically cram it up their cram-hole about the 5000 rpm drops.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lil red '03
They were testing the evo in japan and they did like 100 launches and mr. evo .
i know japan doesnt get the rev limiter

i guess us americans are tougher on our cars
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

im sure you already know ,this is not exactly a drag limiter, this limiter is in place to protect the pinion gear which happens to be alot heavier on us models for crash test reasons, our tires are stickier than japans which would cause a higher load in the pinion gear area. Japan doesn't have the limiter thus with less sticky tires and a lighter pinion gear they can achieve some wheel spin at heavy lanches.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You disconnect one switch.

I don't know of any clutch/tranny that would "love" 7k dumps...
Thats what they say about the 06' Im just telling you what I read.

Last edited by EvoGuy04; Jun 28, 2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how about the 2 step for 03's? whatever happen to that? Al was talking about it, i've never heard the end of that story.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
i know japan doesnt get the rev limiter

i guess us americans are tougher on our cars

or less skilled
Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:31 AM

One thing to note is that if you disconnect the plug to the clutch pedal you may experience some drivability issues. I disconnected the plug on my '05 GSR and I was able to do my drag-strip launches at 6k like I prefer. However, I left it unplugged for a few weeks and on several occasions I noticed my car would hold the RPM's in certain gears even with the clutch depressed. So, I'd be going 50+ mph, slowing down for a red light with the clutch in and the RPM's would stay at 5k for a few seconds before they would drop back down. After I plugged back in that plug to the clutch pedal- all was fixed. That plug down there does have a function for the ECU. I leave mine hooked up now until I get to the track.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nixx
One thing to note is that if you disconnect the plug to the clutch pedal you may experience some drivability issues. I disconnected the plug on my '05 GSR and I was able to do my drag-strip launches at 6k like I prefer. However, I left it unplugged for a few weeks and on several occasions I noticed my car would hold the RPM's in certain gears even with the clutch depressed. So, I'd be going 50+ mph, slowing down for a red light with the clutch in and the RPM's would stay at 5k for a few seconds before they would drop back down. After I plugged back in that plug to the clutch pedal- all was fixed. That plug down there does have a function for the ECU. I leave mine hooked up now until I get to the track.
I do the same. I plug it back in as soon as I leave the track, unless I forget, that is...
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm just gonna get AEM and forget about the whole thing
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tureno-AE86
or less skilled
Or they haven't learn from the school of hard knocks...

If they owned an automatic they'd probably *****h about how they were in neutral on the rev-limiter and when they put it into drive the transmission went boom...." Dude, WTF man? Mitsubishi sucks because I can't drive it like Grand Turismo."

Quick Reply: 2006 "5000 RPM drag-launch rev limiter" removal?