Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Yet another mildly bizarre encounter with law enforcement

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2005, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another mildly bizarre encounter with law enforcement

I've read several of the accounts posted on this forum regarding experiences with law enforcement never thinking that I would be the recipient of unwanted attention. I was on my way to teach a night class at Fresno City College this evening. I passed one of Fresno's finest going the other way. I made a left turn at a stoplight. 30 seconds later I see him in my rearview mirror with lights flashing. Keep in mind that I've had my Evo for a little less than two weeks. It doesn't have its plates yet, and I put the temporary registration in the back window.
I was a bit irritated because I'd done nothing wrong and I didn't want to be late. He walks up to the window and greets me in a rather gruff fashion. "Is this your car?" "Yes", I respond politely. "This is your car?" He had a look of incredulity and a smirk on his face. He clearly didn't believe me. Granted, I don't look like a math professor with pants that are too short, mismatched socks, and tape on my glasses. I've got double piercings in both ears and I wear my hair spiked. Additionally, I was wearing shorts, a t-shirt and sandels. I told him that my sticker was in the rear window. He goes over to it and calls in the VIN. He asks to see my license. This took a while. I got out of the car, mentioned that I was in a hurry and that I'd be willing to take the sticker off the rear window for him to look at (it was hard to see through the tint). He barked at me, "You can go back and sit down in your car!" So I did, thoroughly irritated at this point (but not showing it). After a few more minutes he came over and told me that my license checked out. I asked him, "Officer, may I ask why you did not assume that I owned this vehicle?" He proceeds to tell me that I don't look like the type who could afford it, that the plates were missing, and that the Evo is the "hottest and most stolen vehicle in Fresno". Additionally, people "steal Evos and use them to commit crimes". This was news indeed. He offered me some advice. "Get this thing insured as soon as you can." I told him that it was insured since the day I bought it. I told him that I teach math and make a pretty good living. "I wish I could afford a toy like this", he chuckled as he walked away. I barely made it to class on time.

This is not really a big deal. I have the utmost respect for law enforcement since they are the only thing that prevents society from becoming a post-apocalyptic anarchy. Still, it was a bit disconcerting to be targeted specifically because of the car I was driving. I suspected that it would happen eventually, but not quite so soon.

By the way, I f*cking love this car!!!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

well, then again, he's kinda right. what if someone did steal your car and was just driving it, wouldn't you have been happy that the cop (tried to) stop them ? but I do see your point. I wish I had that problem
Old Jul 7, 2005, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

welcome aboard my brother. enjoy her safely
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

After all that he chuckles and murmurs to himself "wish I could afford a toy like that" right there I wouldve been like, WTF? Profiling is such a wierd thing. I dont really ever know whether I am for it or against it. I mean think about it , It potentially save time, while in other cases **** off innocent people. :
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he sounded jealous

and you dont fit the norm

btw - why are you driving around with your temp registration taped to your window?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Its a Cali thing.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

know how to get the adhesive off after it's sunbaked? cus I'd like to know. lol
Old Jul 8, 2005, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I had the same kind of thing happen when I got my car. The cop asked if it was "my dad's car". I told him my dad lives in florida and drives a Chevy Cavalier. He then proceeded to ask what I did for a living and how long I had known the girl I was with. I was 27 at the time and a software engineer (still am). I never had problems with cops before I owned this car, now they follow me every chance they get.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I had the same kind of thing happen when I got my car. The cop asked if it was "my dad's car". I told him my dad lives in florida and drives a Chevy Cavalier. He then proceeded to ask what I did for a living and how long I had known the girl I was with. I was 27 at the time and a software engineer (still am). I never had problems with cops before I owned this car, now they follow me every chance they get.
Great...after a year and a half of not having cops even look at me this is really appealing news.
@.@ I see many tickets in my future..

Last edited by CRVdrftR05; Jul 8, 2005 at 02:34 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

thats like... sucks
Old Jul 8, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mathgeek
By the way, I f*cking love this car!!!
I know what you mean

Old Jul 8, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

it's only a ~30k car that costs a ton for insurance. It's the same as a fully loaded altima/maxima, fully loaded camry + some mods, entry model C class mercedes, a lexus is300, ect. Nothing that crazy expensive IMO, unless you upgraded from a civic or something equilivant...
Old Jul 8, 2005, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

the Evo is the "hottest and most stolen vehicle in Fresno".

Wow how many EVO's are in Fresno? Unless the same EVO's are getting stolen and recovered? I thought older Honda's and Toyota's were the most stolen vehicles?

Strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Dunno about the law requirement in Cali, but here in Florida it's illegal to put the tag inside the car, you'd have to put the tag on the back bumper ( even if it's the paper tag after you just bought the car ), the cops here will pull you over for that, I learned it the hard way but was lucky to get off with just a warning.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr96gsx408
it's only a ~30k car that costs a ton for insurance. It's the same as a fully loaded altima/maxima, fully loaded camry + some mods, entry model C class mercedes, a lexus is300, ect. Nothing that crazy expensive IMO, unless you upgraded from a civic or something equilivant...
Believe it or not, my insurance actually went down $50 every six months from what I was paying for my '03 Eclipse GTS. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Yet another mildly bizarre encounter with law enforcement