Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how do you get bigger things through the fire wall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you get bigger things through the fire wall

ok here is the problem im having, im trying to get a o2 sensor plug through the fire wall and i dont see a place for it to pass through. i realy dont want to have to drill a hole that big. does any one know a place that would be large enough to get this thing through? its about 1" x 3/4". sorry the post is so jumbled, im trying to do it right now and im realy frustarted ><.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Are you trying to get the plug to go from inside car to in the engine bay?

I have no idea what your plug looks like, but I assume it has a cable/wire attached? Why don't you place the plug in the engine and try to feed the cable/wire from the engine bay to the inside of the car. There's a rubber grommet located behind the passenger side strut mount. You can pop that plug, drill a hole in the plug, and feed the sensor's cable/wire that way.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, cut the wire and run it through an existing hole, then splice it back together. If you can't find a hold to poke it through than just drill a small hole through the firewall.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

well i went ahaed and cut the wire and spliced it back together. thanks for the replies guys, i was at my witts end for a min there
Old Jul 11, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

You are not supposed to cut O2 wires and resplice them. This changes the resistance and can affect the readings. I know people that have expereinced this problem.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 05:03 PM

I ran mine through the hole underneath the fron passenger seat. I had to cut the grommet, but I re-sealed it with black RTV. This is the same hole where the factory O2 runs through.
No splicing required.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

I never had a problem splicing mine. It worked perfectly according to OBDII scanner while tuning. It lasted many passes down the track until race gas eventually killed it.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeh, if you could do it, I wouldn't cut that line. They're fairely sensitive to even a small change.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by plokivos
yeh, if you could do it, I wouldn't cut that line. They're fairely sensitive to even a small change.
You're right, but the stock 1v o2 sensor isn't exactly a precision device. It's more of a "close enough is good enough" kind of thing.

Example: Stock "high quality" sensors vs. the cheapo generic brand ones you can get a Pep Boys

Both will run your car just fine, but it's unlikely that their calibration is 100% dead on. Worst case is your fuel economy is a little worse than it should be.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:11 PM

i was able to go through the fender area. theres an opening from under the hood by the intake. i sent the wires through there. then pulled off the fender inner liner above the tire to get access. then pushed it through a grommet that drops right into the cabin.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
worst case is that you could complete have the afr sensor go off and throw a lean code, which sticks your ecu into a detonation mode/limp mode.

why cut it and risk that, even running rich, if you could just find another way to do it like 4g63?
Old Jul 12, 2005, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea that will work, or you can take out the gauge cluster and drill a hole right behind there, insert any type of grommet (rubber, plastic) and run your wires through there. The key is to make it big enough that you can run other wires through there later on so you dont have to make more holes. If you put the grommet up that high in the firewall, your chances of water getting in are pretty slim..
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

De-pin the plug, run the wires thru an existing hole, then re-pin the plug
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by o4whtevors
well i went ahaed and cut the wire and spliced it back together. thanks for the replies guys, i was at my witts end for a min there
I think it's a little too late now!

Last edited by evoate; Jul 12, 2005 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: how do you get bigger things through the fire wall