Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aftermarket HID install on non-HID 05 EVO 8 failure.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2005, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
is it easy hooking up the hid kit is there cutting and splicing or just plug and play?

and what do you guys think about me being over by 4 watts?know one else swaped out there bulbs?
it was plug-n- play. atleast the kit i bought was plug n play.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wouldnt buy anything thats not plug and play
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:16 PM

OK! i just installed my kit today. it was a 6000k taiwan brand. At first it was a pain to remove the bumper but as soon as i got it off, i encountered another problem. the bulbs wont fire up! it took me 30 minutes to figure it out that the one with the black/white stripe on the original socket in our car was connected to the black wire on the hid ballast. I had to break off the locks of the wires for the hid ballast so i can mount it in reverse and voila! both bulbs fired up! i was wondering why would they make such things in reverse? oh well at least i got mine to work.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

i installed my HID kit last week, the kit came with 20 AMP fuses, am i sapposed to swap out the fuses in the fuse box to 20 amps ??? they seem fine, will they be brighter with 20 AMP fuses ????
Old Sep 25, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost4me
i installed my HID kit last week, the kit came with 20 AMP fuses, am i sapposed to swap out the fuses in the fuse box to 20 amps ??? they seem fine, will they be brighter with 20 AMP fuses ????

Nope they wont be brighter with the 20 amp fuses. By having 20 amp fuses you are giving your low beam headlight circuit better protection. I say do it since OEM equipped EVO's use 20 amp fuses in the fuse box anyway, its cheap insurance.

now I hope you know where to find the right fuses!!
Old Sep 25, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rexg
OK! i just installed my kit today. it was a 6000k taiwan brand. At first it was a pain to remove the bumper but as soon as i got it off, i encountered another problem. the bulbs wont fire up! it took me 30 minutes to figure it out that the one with the black/white stripe on the original socket in our car was connected to the black wire on the hid ballast. I had to break off the locks of the wires for the hid ballast so i can mount it in reverse and voila! both bulbs fired up! i was wondering why would they make such things in reverse? oh well at least i got mine to work.

well, dont sweat it, its all about a learning process sometimes and trial and error before you get something to work right. Believe me I've owned 3 HID kits in the past.

If you guys dont mind my asking what brand name kits did you buy?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Nope they wont be brighter with the 20 amp fuses. By having 20 amp fuses you are giving your low beam headlight circuit better protection. I say do it since OEM equipped EVO's use 20 amp fuses in the fuse box anyway, its cheap insurance.

now I hope you know where to find the right fuses!!

how is adding a 20 amp fuse from 10 better protection? your allowing more current to pass through. i thought HID take less current than halogen bulbs.

EX: halogen 55 watts
HID's 35 watts
Old Sep 25, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't the 05 non-ssl, evo not have the projector headlights. So in that case wouldn't the beam pattern with aftermarket HID kits look like complete ****?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DanJ
Doesn't the 05 non-ssl, evo not have the projector headlights. So in that case wouldn't the beam pattern with aftermarket HID kits look like complete ****?

the housing is projector type, the bulbs are regular halogens, not HID's

HID's only came standard in 03, options in 04-05 non MR (in SSL package), standard on MR's.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2hot2handle
how is adding a 20 amp fuse from 10 better protection? your allowing more current to pass through. i thought HID take less current than halogen bulbs.

HID's 35 watts
+1
Old Sep 25, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

HID's 35 watts

A higher amp fuse will protect a circuit/wiring from frying itself....

happened to me on my 95 Integra GSR when I put in phillips HID's and left the oem 10 amp fuse in there. I turned on the hid, and the fuses popped...and yes you actually hear it pop .....after I installed the 20 amp fuse, it solved my problem

also although the HID's run on 35 watts its the startup, when you are powering the ballast is when you are drawing a lot of power to get the HID bulb working...thats when the 20 amp fuse comes into play...

Here are my HID pics on my non-ssl 05 EVO 8:
The kit I bought is from blinglights.com, sold by darksyderacing.com on the srt forums. I got the 8000K VHO (Very High Output) kit with 9006 D2S Bulbs.

normal HID's run on 35 watts of power but this one runs on 50watts.
Here are some pics for you to drool on:

From Far away, camera 3' off the ground

comments welcome!

FYI, my buddy parked his 05 MR next to mine as well the other night, and side by side, my HID's make his OEM HID's look like it was a stock 9006 bulb

Last edited by Blue Evo 8; Sep 25, 2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
A higher amp fuse will protect a circuit/wiring from frying itself....

happened to me on my 95 Integra GSR when I put in phillips HID's and left the oem 10 amp fuse in there. I turned on the hid, and the fuses popped...and yes you actually hear it pop .....after I installed the 20 amp fuse, it solved my problem

also although the HID's run on 35 watts its the startup, when you are powering the ballast is when you are drawing a lot of power to get the HID bulb working...thats when the 20 amp fuse comes into play...

Here are my HID pics on my non-ssl 05 EVO 8:
The kit I bought is from blinglights.com, sold by darksyderacing.com on the srt forums. I got the 8000K VHO (Very High Output) kit with 9006 D2S Bulbs.

normal HID's run on 35 watts of power but this one runs on 50watts.
Here are some pics for you to drool on:

From Far away, camera 3' off the ground

comments welcome!

FYI, my buddy parked his 05 MR next to mine as well the other night, and side by side, my HID's make his OEM HID's look like it was a stock 9006 bulb
ok............."A higher amp fuse will protect a circuit/wiring from frying itself....

NO, a HIGHER amp fuse WILL INCREASE current which can burn out the wire/unit. but in your case, the HID unit REQUIRES more current, so your ok.

"normal HID's run on 35 watts of power but this one runs on 50watts" you even said it yourself here. your system requires a lil more power. hence the 20amp fuse needed.

but lets say you put in a 30amp fuse or even a 25amp fuse, you will likely fry/burn the HID unit because your allowing MORE current to pass through.

Rule of thumb.....NEVER USE A FUSE RATING HIGHER THAN THE REQUIRED CURRENT LEVEL NEEDED.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 06:42 PM

ok............."A higher amp fuse will protect a circuit/wiring from frying itself....

NO, a HIGHER amp fuse WILL INCREASE current which can burn out the wire/unit. but in your case, the HID unit REQUIRES more current, so your ok.

"normal HID's run on 35 watts of power but this one runs on 50watts" you even said it yourself here. your system requires a lil more power. hence the 20amp fuse needed.

but lets say you put in a 30amp fuse or even a 25amp fuse, you will likely fry/burn the HID unit because your allowing MORE current to pass through.

Rule of thumb.....NEVER USE A FUSE RATING HIGHER THAN THE REQUIRED CURRENT LEVEL NEEDED.
+1
Old Sep 25, 2005, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

i got 8000K kit from HIDPLACE.COM. really nice kit onlt thing is there seems to be a little yellow beam of light showing on the road on the passenger side other than that great buy ! anyone else having the same problem ???? oh and what do you mean where to find the right fuses ???? fuse box under the steering wheel right ????
Old Sep 25, 2005, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

my head hurts reading all of this

Last edited by evo_dadi; Sep 25, 2005 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID install on non-HID 05 EVO 8 failure.