Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

For those of you hitting low 12’s

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time and mods in my sig
i launched around 5000
with 93 octane

ive only been to the track 2 times with 3 runs each
i guess with a better 60' i would be close to low 12's
i just dont feel like spending $$$ on a new clutch yet
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=matt55]
Originally Posted by Carbonics
. But my best trap is only 102.96 and that was with the clutch slipping 3-5th.

why in d h3ll are you shifting into 5th gear , or did you mean 4th gear ?
lol it was with i know i know i was being nice. i was at about 6200 when i did
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonics
lol it was with i know i know i was being nice. i was at about 6200 when i did
Huh? It was with I know I know I was being nice? Explain, please. You wer at 6200 in what gear when you did what? Do you have a tuning device? I didn't see one listed. What I did see was a whole LOTTA money spent on unnecessary items that aren't very helpful, so that may be the problem, although I'm curious to hear this 5th gear explanation...
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

i do not have a tune i will be getting a stand alone over the winter
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just so you guys know, a reaction time doesn't effect ET.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
A 2.2 60' means you weren't launching at all. You may have started at 5000-5500 rpm but you weren't actually launching at that rpm. I'm guessing you let out the clutch, it bogged, you went slow for a second, then the car bucked and slung you forward. That kills your ET and MPH, but it shouldn't be enough to cause 14s, so there may still be other power-related issues. You absolutely do not need to powershift to get good times. Almost everyone lifts to shift, so that's a non-issue.

Don't add race gas just to mask the problem. You need to find out why your car is only hitting 14s and only 101mph the way it is now. Once you've either figured out the problem or improved enough to know that there is no problem, THEN you can add race gas or other mods without worry. If you change any variable next time you go, then you'll never know what really caused the improvement (if any).
Warrtalon, thanks for the advice. When I'm launching, this is what I did. Do tell me if I'm doing it correct or not. Rev to 5000 rpm, ease up on clutch to where it's almost engaged, floor it and ease up on clutch not side stepping. It bogged once, but the other 5 times, it just shoots me forward, just not hard hitting or anything. B/w my car is a 03'. I think it's probably my clutch, I remember after I got the custom tune from Al and headed back home from Ohio, I did some WOT's on the freeway and everyone else seem to be standing still, now my car just doesn't seem to be pulling that hard. I will retighten my hoses incase it's a boost leak.

Last edited by Evil_1; Aug 31, 2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evil_1
Warrtalon, thanks for the advice. When I'm launching, this is what I did. Do tell me if I'm doing it correct or not. Rev to 5000 rpm, ease up on clutch to where it's almost engaged, floor it and ease up on clutch not side stepping. It bogged once, but the other 5 times, it just shoots me forward, just not hard hitting or anything. B/w my car is a 03'. I think it's probably my clutch, I remember after I got the custom tune from Al and headed back home from Ohio, I did some WOT's on the freeway and everyone else seem to be standing still, now my car just doesn't seem to be pulling that hard. I will retighten my hoses incase it's a boost leak.
Yah, that's not a good launch, because you're starting off too low to begin with, then you're forcing yourself to slip the clutch a long time just to get going at the low rpm. To do it properly and actually launch hard, you need to up it ot 5500-6000rpm, engage the clutch slightly like you do, but then sidestep while hammering the throttle. This will cause a real launch that doesn't shock the drivetrain. It still has some initial clutch slip, but not nearly as much as you have to be getting with that method.

Don't settle until you get at least a low 1.8 60'...
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatsMR2u
wait you mean 264i on the cams right
264 on intake side and 272 on exhaust side.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yah, that's not a good launch, because you're starting off too low to begin with, then you're forcing yourself to slip the clutch a long time just to get going at the low rpm. To do it properly and actually launch hard, you need to up it ot 5500-6000rpm, engage the clutch slightly like you do, but then sidestep while hammering the throttle. This will cause a real launch that doesn't shock the drivetrain. It still has some initial clutch slip, but not nearly as much as you have to be getting with that method.

Don't settle until you get at least a low 1.8 60'...
Thanks for the tip, I will keep trying. So I am doing it somewhat right? Just need to bring up the rpm a little higher and instead of easing up on the clutch, just side step? I'm almost about to order a new clutch but maybe will give your method a few tries first.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evil_1
Thanks for the tip, I will keep trying. So I am doing it somewhat right? Just need to bring up the rpm a little higher and instead of easing up on the clutch, just side step? I'm almost about to order a new clutch but maybe will give your method a few tries first.
Yes, you are very close to the method I use, which is good, but keep in mind it's not the ONLY method. I just prefer to put more stress on the clutch than the TC.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

ya go out wit somebody to show u how to launch
Old Aug 31, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Hey I think you just need to practice your launches, since last time we talked, you don't launch your car that much. More drag time and you'll see better times. Also the rockfalls sucks *****. The track isn't prepped at all. Man I should of gone out with you guys last week, I thought Fue was talking about auto x.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

In addition to the boost leak test I recommended I would also do a compression check. Don't just tighten your hoses (buy a leak tester) although you could start there but definitely don't over tighten them to the point you strip the clamp as you will create more leaks. What RPM are you shifting at in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? I would really recommend going to Tristate Raceway it is worth the drive. Much better than Slippery Rock. On the test and tune days it is only around $30 and you will probably get in a dozen runs or more if you want to. There is also a cheap motel across the road that is only like $40 a night. I was looking at a time slip from my one bog and will post it in detail as my 60' with a bad bog is similar to yours. I am also a little stumped because I normally trap 108 - 109 and for some reason on this run I hit a never seen before 112mph (Warrtalon, I never hit the rev limiter and Al said it is now at 7800...figured you might be interested).

Here is the detail...

RT .196
60 2.273
330 5.763
1/8 8.581 87.39 MPH
1000 10.986
1/4 13.030 112.09 MPH

I am really stumped as to why my MPH was so high with a bog. I could see wheel spin but a bog would usually lower it not increase it. The one difference besides the bog was that I had my heater on full blast. Next time I'm at the track I'm going to try turning it on after shifting into third just to see what it does to my MPH.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DragNRacing
In addition to the boost leak test I recommended I would also do a compression check. Don't just tighten your hoses (buy a leak tester) although you could start there but definitely don't over tighten them to the point you strip the clamp as you will create more leaks. What RPM are you shifting at in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? I would really recommend going to Tristate Raceway it is worth the drive. Much better than Slippery Rock. On the test and tune days it is only around $30 and you will probably get in a dozen runs or more if you want to. There is also a cheap motel across the road that is only like $40 a night. I was looking at a time slip from my one bog and will post it in detail as my 60' with a bad bog is similar to yours. I am also a little stumped because I normally trap 108 - 109 and for some reason on this run I hit a never seen before 112mph (Warrtalon, I never hit the rev limiter and Al said it is now at 7800...figured you might be interested).

Here is the detail...

RT .196
60 2.273
330 5.763
1/8 8.581 87.39 MPH
1000 10.986
1/4 13.030 112.09 MPH

I am really stumped as to why my MPH was so high with a bog. I could see wheel spin but a bog would usually lower it not increase it. The one difference besides the bog was that I had my heater on full blast. Next time I'm at the track I'm going to try turning it on after shifting into third just to see what it does to my MPH.
You should probably reproduce that to make sure it's legit, because that would indicate an increase of about 80whp when you factor in the bog. You said it yourself and we both know that a bog like that absolutely kills your mph. You wouldn't have been able to speed up to 87 by the 1/8th after a bog and shouldn't be gaining 25mph on the back half unless you changed something drastically.

I can see you not hitting the rev limiter due to not really being at 112, but if you were, then I dont know. I know a 7800 rev limit will produce more than 110.7, but Scott has been having to shift to 5th on his 112-113mph runs.

Did you have any other timeslips from before and after this one bog?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

You should probably reproduce that to make sure it's legit, because that would indicate an increase of about 80whp when you factor in the bog. You said it yourself and we both know that a bog like that absolutely kills your mph. You wouldn't have been able to speed up to 87 by the 1/8th after a bog and shouldn't be gaining 25mph on the back half unless you changed something drastically.

I can see you not hitting the rev limiter due to not really being at 112, but if you were, then I dont know. I know a 7800 rev limit will produce more than 110.7, but Scott has been having to shift to 5th on his 112-113mph runs.

Did you have any other timeslips from before and after this one bog?
Those times were from 12:11PM

Yeah...I wasn't going to jump to conclusions but here is another time slip with the heater on and one with it off. You may have saw another post or two about reference to the heater and me gaining more than 1mph over my best. Well it was more like 2 - 3mph. Now you can see why I really wanted to do further testing. Maybe it will help you hit an 11sec pass. I think it is worth a shot although I am running the Buschur race chip.

Here are the times. Both of these 60's generated some wheel spin as the starting line is not prepped. My 60's are usually around one tenth better at other tracks.

Before previous listed times 10:42 AM with heater on...
R/T .013
60' 1.823
330 5.184
1/8 8.010 86.88 MPH
1000 10.436
1/4 12.500 110.91 MPH

After previous listed times 2:07PM with heater off...
R/T .254
60' 1.795
330 5.118
1/8 7.909 88.07 MPH
1000 10.325
1/4 12.369 108.74 MPH

Car setup was not changed other than the heater on/off. Track temperature changed minimally. I would say 10 - 15 degrees max.