Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help out the guys at Car and Driver....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kordwood
Top Gear is probably the worst of all of these shows. No instrumented testing and driving around in cars that are only available in the UK. More than half the show is devoted to nonsense ( how to beat a ticket, road rage, vanity plates).Yawn.
It's entertaining, spewing 0-60 times and slalom numbers at me for an hour is NOT. If I want numbers Ill pick up my Car and Driver.

I would say 50% of the cars they test are available here but it's on BBC, why should they test American cars? Frankly, I like seeing reviews of cars we dont get here. There are tons of amazing cars we never see and that never get tested by American journalists.

I think the "nonsense" portions of the show are great, they add a lot and I love the British sense of humor. The "races" they have (car vs. plane/train/boat) are great fun! On top of all this the show is just excellently put together. The music (on the BBC version) and the camera angles are both done beautifully. They also know just when to cut out the music, shut the hell up, and play those exhaust noises.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Autoweek.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

TopGear is actually on the discovery channel at 1am on either tues or wed night, and they test american cars now specifically because of this new exposure. They did a chrystler 300 last week and an Australian version of a GTO(vauxhall something...) which was pretty cool. Beyond that they had geniuses and scientists in a burnout competition using a 300zx twin turbo, high entertainment value!
Old Sep 6, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shiftdsm E
TopGear is actually on the discovery channel at 1am on either tues or wed night, and they test american cars now specifically because of this new exposure. They did a chrystler 300 last week and an Australian version of a GTO(vauxhall something...) which was pretty cool. Beyond that they had geniuses and scientists in a burnout competition using a 300zx twin turbo, high entertainment value!
Those are really old episodes actually. They are airing certain, more applicable road tests for the American audience though.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SevenFour
I've actually never heard them say anything bad about a car they reviewed...hope it gets taken off the air
Ha, then you've never seen one of their Mitsubishi non-Evo reviews.

Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO
think its on Car n Driver (or it cud be another show), there's that one skinny guy who always does his segment w/a fat guy. The skinny guy has such a funny accent at the end of his words for some reason.. lol
That show is on Speed. They are Tom Hnatiw and Peter Klutt and are on two shows Dream Car Garage and Sports Car Revolution.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

I voted cancel it.

Those guys suck.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mikey52
It's entertaining, spewing 0-60 times and slalom numbers at me for an hour is NOT. If I want numbers Ill pick up my Car and Driver.

I would say 50% of the cars they test are available here but it's on BBC, why should they test American cars? Frankly, I like seeing reviews of cars we dont get here. There are tons of amazing cars we never see and that never get tested by American journalists.

I think the "nonsense" portions of the show are great, they add a lot and I love the British sense of humor. The "races" they have (car vs. plane/train/boat) are great fun! On top of all this the show is just excellently put together. The music (on the BBC version) and the camera angles are both done beautifully. They also know just when to cut out the music, shut the hell up, and play those exhaust noises.
exactly! talking about all the spec #'s will make me fall asleep and is only good for internet racing. they actually time the cars on their own course to see how say, lambo stacks up against say, evo? the hosts r a very diverse crowd and keep it entertaining. and like u pointed out, we WANT to know about other cars that we normally wouldn't hear about.
as far as i know, all the eps r old, they just removed the parts with british audience (which were actually funny) and replaced it with american audience.
i still voted YES, just cause C&D isn't too bad and gives some other test results and such. shows like Tuner Transvestation though, just had to go.
i'm sure most of u guys will appreciate THIS site http://www.finalgear.com/downloads/
Old Sep 6, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Voted yes. prefer C/D than a damn re-run of something else...
Old Sep 6, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

top gear is a great show. very entertaining. car and driver on the other hand is pretty lame but i vote yes becuase it gives me just another show to watch about cars.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 04:46 PM

Voted Yes
Old Sep 6, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

I voted to keep it on the air, but they need to spice it up a little. The show seems kind of bland to me. The should watch top gear and take a few notes. Have a little fun with the show instead of driving around like some stiffs from the morgue giving crappy opinions.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm, I like the top gear show..I have several of the videos on my computer...now I just need the speed channel
Old Sep 6, 2005, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i get tired of c/d reruns. where are the new shows?
Old Sep 6, 2005, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

I don't really like the magazine, but come on... how many car shows are actually on tv these days? Why would you guys want it to stop?
Old Sep 6, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mikey52

I totally agree with you plus...where do u see a tv show when they actually compare, in a road course ( even tho. i think the track as an airport of some sort) Porsche's GT vs Enzo's??? or any other type of super cars???...cause i havent seen it

I rather watch Porsche's, Ferraris, Lambos, EVO's , and STI's, than some silly SUV comparo or which is the best family sedan or minivan