Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can new owners quantify your new EVO impressions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2003, 02:34 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Can new owners quantify your new EVO impressions?

Hi,

For us east coast folks, it is kinda like Friday night without a date! So we are anxious to here impressions of your new cars. I hope this doesn't sound ungrateful, but could new owners quantify their driving experience a bit? There are so many OMG's this thing is fast that without a point of reference it is difficult to understand what it means.

If you have been driving a used Yugo, then my Explorer will seem like a minuteman missle!

Speedlimit.........
Old Mar 8, 2003, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forget it speedlimit, us east coasters have slipped to the bottom of the barrel now...they're all out having fun in the sun in thier new cars
Old Mar 8, 2003, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

That's funny! I had heart Cath. done on me thursday and have been reading all the posts.. Since I am also on medication and have to wait another week before mine gets here, I actually dreamt that I had mine already. In my dream, everything I know of the car is from all the posts.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

This car is a dream. I have the only one in a city of about 80,000 people. This car is turning heads like you wouldn't believe. I have owned a GST, and an IS300. This spanks everything I have ever driven. Stiff suspension, but rides like you would expect a high performance car to ride. It corners very nicely. Ofcourse, my car is only at 125 miles right now, so I dont know the extent of everything until I reach my 600. Still has some turbo lag, not way too bad. Would like that to get better. Quieter than I expected, but I will eventually be putting a three inch exhaust on it. The brights are awesome, but the fog lights automatically shut off when the brights are on (and when you turn the car off). The sound of this car is different from anything Im used to. It has a tough technical sound To better make sense of that, you can just tell there is alot going on under the hood. Lots of different sounds that just scream technology. Just starting it up sounds like "oh yeah, this biach is going to scream". Shifting is nice. I admire the short-throw shifter. The shifting gets easier and easier as the car gets more broken in. The sound of the turbo spooling up adrenalizes the drive. Im curious to see what it would sound like with an intake on it. The potential of this car is beyond my imagination. Much power is held back. I put the car on lifts, and the exhaust is freaking sweet. It is literally almost straight back, all the way. It has a cat, and a resonator. That will be dealt with. Braking is everything you all will want it to be. I have never owned a car with an aluminium hood. This thing is light as a feather. At least it wont leave a big mark if I drop it on my head. Steering for this car is very commendable. Add this to the suspension, and I was tearing around corners. Felt like I was riding on rails (that is under 5000 rpm).

Until I reach the break in period (i think i speak for alot of us), it is hard to understand the cars full potential. Last night, I met alot of people. Be prepared to answer questions about your car if you go into a pit of racers. Thankfully, with all the research I did on this car, and the help with all of you, I was able to answer almost all questions asked to me. Believe me, I would not want to be a dumb *** in front of some cats that know there stuff.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 03:56 PM
Admin Emeritus

Thank you!!

Hey limey! Want to start a clutch pool between you and me? 8500 miles for me!! HA!

Speedlimit.................

Last edited by Speedlimit; Mar 8, 2003 at 04:31 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by limey
forget it speedlimit, us east coasters have slipped to the bottom of the barrel now...they're all out having fun in the sun in thier new cars
I'm in Louisiana and my car arrived yesterday and I picked it up today - so the east coast can't be but a day or two behind.

Apologies in advance if this is considered advertising, but Levis Mitsubishi of Baton Rouge, LA has a Black Evo with sunroof and large spoiler for $840 over msrp. Go to www.levismitsubishi.com for their phone, etc.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 07:23 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Street

I'm in Louisiana and my car arrived yesterday and I picked it up today - so the east coast can't be but a day or two behind.

Apologies in advance if this is considered advertising, but Levis Mitsubishi of Baton Rouge, LA has a Black Evo with sunroof and large spoiler for $840 over msrp. Go to www.levismitsubishi.com for their phone, etc.
Hi,

Actually we are being told we are a ship (as in big boat) or two behind. I'm not the forum police, but they do have a thread for MSRP dealers at the top. I imagine many folks would appreciate your info and probably look for it there.

Speedlimit..........
Old Mar 8, 2003, 07:36 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by lancealott
... Steering for this car is very commendable. Add this to the suspension, and I was tearing around corners. Felt like I was riding on rails (that is under 5000 rpm).
I have read that steering is quick, maybe too quick (read twitchy) for a daily driver. Do you have to work to maintain a straight line while just cruising on the highway, or does it require continued attention?

the steering has also been reported as feeling light without adequate feedback for optimal performance driving.

Now that you have one, what is the real deal?

Waiting to find out for myself...00A on order.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 09:30 PM
choad

I have read that steering is quick, maybe too quick (read twitchy) for a daily driver. Do you have to work to maintain a straight line while just cruising on the highway, or does it require continued attention?

Naah...
I was answereing my phone with the steering wheel on my knee at 65 MPH. The car does what you want it to.

Point and shoot!! Has the type of contol that you would expect. I was twitching the wheel back and forth at 70+ and it felt like I was doing 40MPH..! It was SPOOKY how responsive this car is at speed..
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

I have owned an 85 GTA TA, a 97 z28, a 94 vette, a 99 prelude, and a 01 preludes SH. None of the above match the cars performance. The vette was probablly more powerful (bigger surge) but the evo just feels faster. When you take into affect lets say my vette, It was powerful but it didn't go anywhere it was not nearly as good out of the hole. A 300hp v8 might have a faster 4th, 5th gear, but the low end is no comparrison. The evo gets out of the hole like no other car. When I get it broke in I am going to race my uncles 02 ram air Ta. So to keep it short I have ridden in LOTS of fast cars, not just my own but other peoples as well. There is no comparrison the EVO rocks( and I have not used the spray switch yet either, or taken it past 5000rpms) The 4.8 0-60 test is most definantly with in this cars limits.

Stearing, I like it more than the WS-6 ram airs, and the new vettes. It goes through and accelerates threw corners extreamlly well. To keep this semi short. I have never been this satisfied with a ride in my life. I am not comparing it to grand am's and civic's. This car out performs the vettes, s2000, ram airs, and mustangs. I have yet to race any, but I have alot of experience in fast cars. This car just puts a big smile on my face.

the end

Any more specific q's pm me, and this is all my opinion nothing more.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

The 4.8 0-60 test is most definantly with in this cars limits.

Stearing, I like it more than the WS-6 ram airs, and the new vettes. It goes through and accelerates threw corners extreamlly well. To keep this semi short. I have never been this satisfied with a ride in my life. I am not comparing it to grand am's and civic's. This car out performs the vettes, s2000, ram airs, and mustangs. I have yet to race any, but I have alot of experience in fast cars. This car just puts a big smile on my face.
I agree 100%. I traded in my Z06 for an Evo.

The Z06 was raw power and sometimes uncontrolable. No traction.

The Evo is a controlable street racer. Thanks to AWD.

Last edited by stvbreal; Mar 8, 2003 at 10:25 PM.