Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

resonator test pipe...does it work?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
resonator test pipe...does it work?

I have the Greddy Ti TBE and its very loud, it got noticeably louder when I got the head built. Do you think if I install a resonator test pipe it will make a significant difference? Im trying to reduce cabin droning and the loud noise. Im not sure if it will help because of my setup. any opinions?

I want to sell the exhaust but would like to see what options I have first.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes it works to quite down my car.. I have no doubt that it would be shooting flames and loudly backfiring without this piece.. plus its only 75 dollars from logic performance (which is the same one sold by everyone else it looks like).. i dont see how you can go wrong at that price.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Typically, a straight through test pipe (no resonator) will be noticeably louder than the OEM or even a high flow cat.

A resonated test pipe will not necessarily quiet the exhaust down at all, but it will change the tone.

It will depend on the actual resonator used.

Your best bet is to find someone local to you who has done this and go for a ride in their car.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
I have the Greddy Ti TBE and its very loud, it got noticeably louder when I got the head built. Do you think if I install a resonator test pipe it will make a significant difference? Im trying to reduce cabin droning and the loud noise. Im not sure if it will help because of my setup. any opinions?

I want to sell the exhaust but would like to see what options I have first.
I would say that adding the resonated test pipe won't acheive the results you want. It may quiet it down ever so slightly, but the cabin noise/droning won't be significantly changed.

I really think the key in the exhaust is in the muffler choice. It's not always the biggest sized muffler that has the quietest sound. Best bet is to compare your exhaust with others using a test pipe and see if any suit your needs. -gabe
Old Sep 12, 2005, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

A couple of my buddies both have the Helix TBE. One added a resonated TP because it became too loud for him. It definitely quieted it down and made it sound deeper.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

I would suggest contacting RRE about their "Rally Cat". This should help your problem.